Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #8,941 of 13,140
Is anyone here in the NYC area?

I ask because I'm interested in trying to create an adapter that would enable people to swap ear pads on the LCD series without adhesive.

I did this recently for my HE-500s (details here) and something similar for my Sine (details here) and I feel pretty confident that I could do the same for LCDs. I just need one in my hands to take a look, take some measurements, and do some test fitting. If anyone's interested, I have some cans that I'd be willing to loan out in return (EL-8 Ti, HE-500, A1000Z, Sine).

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #8,942 of 13,140
So I have been out of the game for a bit but now I'm seeing the famed LCD-2's go for ~700 regularly.  Is this just because they've been out for a while?  Even resells used to hover around 800-850 and now it seems like in a few years the LCD-2's might be getting as low as even ~500. 

They've been my dream headphone since I was in college and now that I'm making a little bit of scratch I'm eager to get a hold of them.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #8,943 of 13,140
  So I have been out of the game for a bit but now I'm seeing the famed LCD-2's go for ~700 regularly.  Is this just because they've been out for a while?  Even resells used to hover around 800-850 and now it seems like in a few years the LCD-2's might be getting as low as even ~500. 

They've been my dream headphone since I was in college and now that I'm making a little bit of scratch I'm eager to get a hold of them.

Maybe the first generation and rev 1 may drop that low, but I doubt the current driver version will do so anytime soon so if that is the driver design you are most interested in I say grab one if you can afford it. Should be some good used deals available I'm sure. I may even sell mine when my HD800S arrives, but not for sure as I think they will compliment each other so I'll likely keep both.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #8,944 of 13,140
I'd say it has more to do with the impedance of said headphone, be it IEM, full-sized or whatever. Low impedance amp output works with most stuff. If you have a pair of headphones with low impedance + amp with high impedance the mid-bass etc. might get a boost.

I don't know. My Momentum 2.0 over-ear is not nearly as picky with source as any of my IEMs. And I have some IEMs with higher impedance than the M2.

Who knows why it is. That's just been my experience.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #8,945 of 13,140
I don't know. My Momentum 2.0 over-ear is not nearly as picky with source as any of my IEMs. And I have some IEMs with higher impedance than the M2.

Who knows why it is. That's just been my experience.

Yeah, I guess it's more of a rule of thumb.

Btw, my Momentum 1.0 is quite picky about sources! It's much better with my Fiio E7 than iPod or my phone. The lows are very mushy and the mid-bass dominates too much without amplification. It's a weird portable hp for me in that - since most of them work well straight from a phone.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #8,946 of 13,140
Could anyone here compare HD650 , HD800 to LCD2F 2016 revision? Thanks.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #8,947 of 13,140

I will have an HD800S here soon (if Canada Post doesn't strike in the next few days that is).

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #8,948 of 13,140

My take: of the 3 the best all around headphone would be HD-650 driven with a decent OTL amp like the BH Crack.

If your music choice is classical, well recorded/mastered jazz and blues then the HD-800 would be my choice but like the HD-650 the amp needs to be decent.

LCD-2f is a better sounding headphone than the HD-650 if you only have the headphone output of a pc or most DACs but if you have better gear then the HD-650 will pull ahead at some point, biggest issue with the LCD-2 is the weight for me, you never forget its on your head where the HD-650 and HD-800 can disappear after a short period.

Main point is any comparison of the 3 headphones is that it is amp and genre dependent IMO.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #8,949 of 13,140

I owned all 3. Sold the LCD2F without hesitation. IMO the LCD2F is a mess in the treble. HD800 is definitely the way to go if you know how to EQ or mod or... If you want the planar sound of the LCDs, I recommend getting the pre-fazored LCD2 2.2, or any LCD3 versions.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #8,951 of 13,140
Did Audeze change the LCD-2 in 2016?
I have an early 2014 Fazor I really like, thinking of getting another pair.

I believe they made changes in Nov. 2015, though I don't know what the driver changes were exactly.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #8,953 of 13,140
  Reading all this makes me feel i made the right choice in picking up an earlier pre-F model from Craigs (especially after refurbing with a new band and pads..)...

You never really know until you hear both for yourself; however if you are happy with the version you have that is good enough. I don't find the treble all messed up on the new version and in a few days my 800S will arrive so I'll have a chance to hear both.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #8,954 of 13,140
  You never really know until you hear both for yourself; however if you are happy with the version you have that is good enough. I don't find the treble all messed up on the new version and in a few days my 800S will arrive so I'll have a chance to hear both.

Granted, listening is the only real way to know.

But, i do feel decent given my likes (warmth, rich bass) sound like they align much better with older models than they do newer (i know treble is needed, but i don't like piercing highs..).  I think thats why i get along with models like the HD650 and IE80 (both Senn) so well..  for me, the LCD-2 fell right in with those phones..

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #8,955 of 13,140
  Granted, listening is the only real way to know.

But, i do feel decent given my likes (warmth, rich bass) sound like they align much better with older models than they do newer (i know treble is needed, but i don't like piercing highs..).  I think thats why i get along with models like the HD650 and IE80 (both Senn) so well..  for me, the LCD-2 fell right in with those phones..

There are no piercing highs on the new model, at least not that I can tell, and the bass is quite lovely as well, certainly very rich. I'm sure the signatures differ, but I would bet they aren't that different, just a little more treble. I'll bet with a few tiny EQ cuts the 2016 version can sound just like the older version. Still, it does sound like you made the right decision which is what counts, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back