Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #8,956 of 13,140
  I owned all 3. Sold the LCD2F without hesitation. IMO the LCD2F is a mess in the treble. HD800 is definitely the way to go if you know how to EQ or mod or... If you want the planar sound of the LCDs, I recommend getting the pre-fazored LCD2 2.2, or any LCD3 versions.

The 2014 LCD-3 surprised me with how good proper treble can be. All I had heard in other headphones was ear piercing sibilance or lack of treble altogether.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #8,957 of 13,140
I'm starting to believe that maybe the fazor models are just more dependent on the equipment chain than the earlier models.  While I personally have never found the fazors sibilant in any way, I have found that they exude more warmth and body with an amp that is more on the warm side.  The fact that there's not a lot of discussion about what's driving everyone's LCD2's may offer at least a partial explanation of why there are such varied opinions about the newer models.  Again, it comes down to personal taste.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #8,958 of 13,140
  ... The fact that there's not a lot of discussion about what's driving everyone's LCD2's may offer at least a partial explanation of why there are such varied opinions about the newer models.  ...

I use either my La Figaro 339 OTL amp with my NAD M51, or I use my NAD M3 with the same DAC. Both have a slightly warm tonality so that may help. Plus, I avoid poor bright splashy recordings. Personally I don't care if I love the song, if it is recorded poorly it isn't for headphone listening, speakers yes, headphones no.

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #8,959 of 13,140
  Reading all this makes me feel i made the right choice in picking up an earlier pre-F model from Craigs (especially after refurbing with a new band and pads..)...

Different people, different opinions. I prefer the LCD-2F to the earlier LCD-2. It sounds more natural - the earlier model is too warm and "dead" sounding for my taste. Most headphones are artificially bright, the Senn HD800 is particularly bright and I can't even listen to it. The LCD-2F is somewhere in between these extremes and sounds closer to the Magnepan 3.6 in my tuned listening room. And the LCD-2F sounds - to my ears - closer to the absolute reference for live acoustic music. When practicing and in rehearsals, the sound I hear is more lively, but that is expected because it is so close. The LCD-2F is more like what it sounds like sitting in the 5th row - just far away enough to lose the "edge" or "zing" you hear from your own instrument, or when sitting next to the player. Yet still close enough to hear most of the detail.

That said, my ears are very sensitive to midrange voicing accuracy, less sensitive to extreme treble. If you want a test of extreme HF accuracy, play a good recording of castanets - they have so much extreme treble energy you can really hear the difference - they sound smeared if there are any flaws in the recording or the headphones HF reproduction. You can see this in a spectrum analysis. The LCD-2F render some of the crispest, cleanest most natural sounding castanets I have ever heard.

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #8,960 of 13,140
Will someone answer a dumb question please?  In the Pelican type travel case for the LCD's, are the phones supposed to be stored face up or face down in the cut out foam?  With the angled pads, it almost seems to fit better (but not tighter) face down with the wide part of the pad facing outward.  Thanks!

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #8,961 of 13,140
  Maybe the first generation and rev 1 may drop that low, but I doubt the current driver version will do so anytime soon so if that is the driver design you are most interested in I say grab one if you can afford it. Should be some good used deals available I'm sure. I may even sell mine when my HD800S arrives, but not for sure as I think they will compliment each other so I'll likely keep both.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660247/audeze-lcd-2-fazor-2016-revision - $685.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817248/audeze-lcd-2-2-rosewood - $700.  Not first rev
http://www.head-fi.org/t/816796/final-price-drop-audeze-shedua-lcd2-2016-revision-1-month-old-like-new - 645 but in pounds, doesn't compare to USD but for a British person maybe this is a good price?

Idk.  I'm just speculating here but it seems like finally the LCD2 is settling down in price, not just Rev1 which rarely pops up anyway.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #8,962 of 13,140
  Will someone answer a dumb question please?  In the Pelican type travel case for the LCD's, are the phones supposed to be stored face up or face down in the cut out foam?  With the angled pads, it almost seems to fit better (but not tighter) face down with the wide part of the pad facing outward.  Thanks!

When I had a driver break they sent an email saying to have the cable connections facing down. I felt like a moron because I always squeezed em in there with the headphone connectors facing up, but that squishes the angled pads too much.

Edit: I'm wrong and I don't know why I thought I remembered this. The picture shows the headphone connectors facing UP. *shrug*

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #8,963 of 13,140

Maybe the first generation and rev 1 may drop that low, but I doubt the current driver version will do so anytime soon so if that is the driver design you are most interested in I say grab one if you can afford it. Should be some good used deals available I'm sure. I may even sell mine when my HD800S arrives, but not for sure as I think they will compliment each other so I'll likely keep both.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660247/audeze-lcd-2-fazor-2016-revision - $685.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817248/audeze-lcd-2-2-rosewood - $700.  Not first rev
http://www.head-fi.org/t/816796/final-price-drop-audeze-shedua-lcd2-2016-revision-1-month-old-like-new - 645 but in pounds, doesn't compare to USD but for a British person maybe this is a good price?

Idk.  I'm just speculating here but it seems like finally the LCD2 is settling down in price, not just Rev1 which rarely pops up anyway.

I got a pair of LCD-2 (revision 2?) for £500 on ebay last year. Prices can depend on whether they're sent with the pelican case

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #8,965 of 13,140
Got mine with case for $525.00 shipped LCD 2.2 pre-fqzor from Audiogon.

Well then I guess that's what I'll be selling mine for. :rolleyes:

I'll list in a couple days.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #8,967 of 13,140
Well then I guess that's what I'll be selling mine for.
rolleyes.gif

I'll list in a couple days.

That's honestly the lowest price I've ever seen.  Going rate seems to now be in the $600 to $700 range.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #8,968 of 13,140

When I had a driver break they sent an email saying to have the cable connections facing down. I felt like a moron because I always squeezed em in there with the headphone connectors facing up, but that squishes the angled pads too much.

I was provided the following image for proper packing instruction by Audeze.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #8,969 of 13,140
Yes, I've seen average for about $650.00. I should explain whole story. He listed for $585.00 shipped. The listing was LCD 2.2- non fazor. I purchased then found out it was fazor version so he offered to discount $50.00 if I just keep it. I ended up just keeping it only a day later to find out it really was a non-fazor version. I think even at $600.00 it's a really good deal. It definately was the lowest price even with the original listing price for $585.00 from what I've seen these phones go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back