Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #8,986 of 13,140
Such a great headphone but my brand new 2F right out of the box had a bad left channel. The replacement is fine. Great sounding headphone for sure, but that is a bummer. Let us know how it works out for you and good luck.

They are wonderful headphones. Nothing else I have heard yet has the same natural musicality that lcd2 had. In iems Dita the answer is the same.

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #8,987 of 13,140
They are wonderful headphones. Nothing else I have heard yet has the same natural musicality that lcd2 had. In iems Dita the answer is the same.

I'm about to swap to the LCD 2F after an hour with my HD800S so the differences should be easy to hear.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #8,988 of 13,140
I got one of the early LCD-2 Fazors in early 2014. It remains one of my fave cans after about 20 years of experience with headphones starting with the HD-580 in the 90s and many others in between. What I like most about the LCD-2F is the smooth natural sound in the mids and bass, and treble that is fast yet not bright. This matches perfectly to the natural acoustic music that makes up most of my listening.

The LCD-2F has a slight recess from about 2 to 9 kHz. This recess is smooth and linear so it doesn't change the voicing of voices or natural instruments, but it does make it sound warmer than the real thing. I perfected the sound with a parametric EQ, +3 dB at 4500 Hz, Q=0.67. This is just enough to counteract the recess back to a neutral level without changing the overall character of the sound.

Then the LCD-X came out and I've always been curious about it. Similar to the LCD-2 Fazor, yet a bit faster with more neutral frequency response. That sounds like perfection to me. Audeze had a B-stock sale so I finally pulled the trigger on it. I'll give it a listen, compare without any filters, and report back.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,989 of 13,140
  I got one of the early LCD-2 Fazors in early 2014. It remains one of my fave cans ...........

After picking up the HD800S back in May thought I'd be letting my 2.2s go, glad I didn't as they happen to be sneaking more often than not back on my ears, excellent complement to the 800S.
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #8,990 of 13,140
always a treat to put on my old LCD2/toxic cable...
the edge of the pads that contacts the driver is peeling, sigh...
guess that part isnt leather :p

applied some snake oil onto the cable connects at the drivers...wahlaaa, fantasssstic realism ..hick*

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #8,991 of 13,140
  I got one of the early LCD-2 Fazors in early 2014. It remains one of my fave cans after about 20 years of experience with headphones starting with the HD-580 in the 90s and many others in between. What I like most about the LCD-2F is the smooth natural sound in the mids and bass, and treble that is fast yet not bright. This matches perfectly to the natural acoustic music that makes up most of my listening.

The LCD-2F has a slight recess from about 2 to 9 kHz. This recess is smooth and linear so it doesn't change the voicing of voices or natural instruments, but it does make it sound warmer than the real thing. I perfected the sound with a parametric EQ, +3 dB at 4500 Hz, Q=0.67. This is just enough to counteract the recess back to a neutral level without changing the overall character of the sound.

Then the LCD-X came out and I've always been curious about it. Similar to the LCD-2 Fazor, yet a bit faster with more neutral frequency response. That sounds like perfection to me. Audeze had a B-stock sale so I finally pulled the trigger on it. I'll give it a listen, compare without any filters, and report back.

Hi,

I've just done the comparison between LCD 2.2F, LCD X and LCD 3. The LCD X is more forward in the mids, so the treble is a little bit covered. Same with LCD 3, the mids are very fat, maybe this is the "magic thing" called out here, but they covers the treble too much and sounds a little bit boring for me.--> Claire Martin tries to eat my head, or my head is in the guitar of Nils Lofgrens "Keith don't go" - interesting but too much!

So the LCD 2 was the most neutral for me. The difference in bass is very very small, barely noticeable.
I also compared  to an OPPO PM-2. The sound and neutrality is very similar to the LCD 2, but the LCD 2 has a little bit more meat and details over all.

So the LCD 2.2F is mine now and I'm happy with it.

I have Question to the LCD-2 owners: Is the balanced cable part of the package?
The "owners welcome card" in the box tells me that it is, but the salesman told me:"No, only part of LCD 3!?"

Please help...

Thanks & cheers

Thorsten

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #8,992 of 13,140

I have Question to the LCD-2 owners: Is the balanced cable part of the package?
The "owners welcome card" in the box tells me that it is, but the salesman told me:"No, only part of LCD 3!?"

Please help...

Thanks & cheers

Thorsten

A balanced cable is not part of the package for the LCD-2, but Audeze does sell them separately.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #8,994 of 13,140
Love people that stay quiet to sell their used gear only to turn it right back around the minute they sold it and talk about how bad they were. Gotta love those characters..

We're all business folk at heart. :wink:

I just roll my eyes when people say the Fazor gives an unnatural sound. It's called clarity. Unbelievable clarity. And I love it.

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #8,995 of 13,140
Cla
Clarity LOL They sound more murky than the the pre fazor due to the new material. If you can't hear it then your ears obviously are not used to high end headphones.

The new material would only make it murky if it blocked frequencies. The Fazor does not. It simply redirects them. Murkiness is the exact opposite of what it achieves.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #8,996 of 13,140
Sep 10, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,997 of 13,140
I heard these (2.2) for the first time last week and they sound wonderful. Just bought a pristine used pair from the forums and can't wait! I just hope they don't break because I love the lush and dark sound of the 2.2 and would hate to hear the fazor... I hear a lot of differing opinions, from unnatural to detailed to bright to "the magic is gone"

Hopefully mine last 

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #8,999 of 13,140
I own a set of pre fazor and I use them for everything. I'm an audio engineer and mixing with them is a god send. The Fazor models have boosts in the treble in the wrong places and while I can mix with them they are not as cohesive as the pre fazor.

The biggest differences was the way vocals sound on the fazor, thin, grainy and the bass lacks impact. One of my own mixes contains a lot of bass and the Fazor actually didn't replicate that which tells me they are lacking bass compared to neutral, still if they fix the driver material id love to see how they can sound but Audeze main priority is to prevent driver fail.

Mixing in a prefazor lcd2???? Please list what you have mixed so I can avoid it. That would be the definition of a coloured mix!

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #9,000 of 13,140
Sure does, especially the fazor that is just so clear and natural.....

That's a really good point. It is clear and natural, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back