Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #8,806 of 13,139
Just guys being guys! My wife is very supportive of my hobby, but she isn't less expensive, that's for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

My GF is the one with the big bucks since she is still working (Chanel, Hermes, LV and other designer stuff makes headphones look cheap in comparison), I'm retired so have somewhat of a very variable fixed income, I still do some consulting work for project/construction management to make extra spending money.  For me my GF is less expensive since she just buys what she wants and is not dependent on me for anything.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #8,807 of 13,139
  For me my GF is less expensive since she just buys what she wants and is not dependent on me for anything.

Just for the love right mate?

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #8,809 of 13,139

I currently have the Raidho XT-3s. I understand that both the Raidhos and the Aavik are not cheap. I love my hobby. Some people collect cars, motorcycles, and stuff, yet my passion is in HiFi. This system did not happen overnight, though; this was years and years in the making of buying gear and trading up for better components, etc.

Gorgeous speakers, at least to look at, and I have no doubt they sound even better than they look. So did you also have a proper music room designed or were you lucky enough to just have a room to use with good acoustics already?

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #8,810 of 13,139
  Gorgeous speakers, at least to look at, and I have no doubt they sound even better than they look. So did you also have a proper music room designed or were you lucky enough to just have a room to use with good acoustics already?

Thanks! They really sound fantastic (and they better for the price). The HiFi rig is in our living room but we have high ceilings and I only have diffusers behind the main listening position. My system just sounds better in their current location than when I had my previous set ups in the basement.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #8,811 of 13,139
  I don't own the headband, but I've not read anything about cracking of those headbands.  Epoxy is probably a good idea to at least slow down the crack, as I assume there is stress there from flexing.  On the other hand, the crack may only be on the clearcoat on the surface, which would be less of an issue.  IMO

Following up - got my band today, and it looks like it is the latter; it looks like a somewhat deep surface scratch, but not an actual crack (looking from the side and bottom, you cant see anything).  Now i am really happy given that i got it for half off.. Now once my vegan earpads and new cable show up, it will be like i have a brand new pair for a still good used price.. call me excited!

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #8,812 of 13,139
  Following up - got my band today, and it looks like it is the latter; it looks like a somewhat deep surface scratch, but not an actual crack (looking from the side and bottom, you cant see anything).  Now i am really happy given that i got it for half off.. Now once my vegan earpads and new cable show up, it will be like i have a brand new pair for a still good used price.. call me excited!

Excellent!  Please give us an impression of the comfort of the band when you have a chance.  Thanks!

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #8,813 of 13,139
I have a very tolerant girlfriend who not only puts up with the giant, expensive headphones, but also happily deals with big floor standing speakers and close to 2000 LPs in our apartment! I'm hanging on to her!

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #8,814 of 13,139
  In that case, here's the graph for my LCD-2F provided by Audeze. The bumps from 4 - 8 kHz appear to be an artifact of sinusoidal smoothing. The overall shape of the curve is similar to what InnerFidelity measured. You can see how a parametric EQ +3 dB centered at 4500 Hz Q=0.67 would make it nearly perfectly flat Freq Response.

Here's my LCD-2F FR, really close:

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #8,816 of 13,139
Something interesting about those 2 graphs is how much thicker the '14 fazor looks in comparison, with a slow rise across 1khz down to 50hz

I already miss my LCD2s bass, but it's upper range on the ltest version sounded so messed up to my ear.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #8,817 of 13,139
Something interesting about those 2 graphs is how much thicker the '14 fazor looks in comparison, with a slow rise across 1khz down to 50hz

One looks thicker because the horizontal scales are different. If you ignore the scale and look carefully at the curves, they both have this slow rise. The biggest difference I see is the '14 has a shallower midrange dip and smaller treble bump at 10k.

To my ears, most headphones, even hi-fi ones, sound artificially bright, or are not bright but slow. The LCD2 sound natural and fast, yet not bright. This makes them unique. Very few headphones sound natural.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #8,818 of 13,139
  Excellent!  Please give us an impression of the comfort of the band when you have a chance.  Thanks!

So far from just some initial feeling, there isn't a huge difference, but certainly isn't a step down.  I can feel that it is lighter, but the clamp force is about the same as the well worn original band. I wont lie and say that a large part of the appeal was making the headphones look as nice as they should; the exposed metal and crumbling foam band really took away the quality look for the rosewood.

Along those same lines, i also have a pair of black vegan earpads, as the original leather is starting to tear (this is the thin leather ring, and seems common as i have seen another poster talking about it as well).. All told, with new band, pads, and cable (maybe.. the guy hasn't shipped and its been a full week.....), i am in for ~$600, which seems like a good price still for what they are (especially since the most important part being they sound bloody great...)

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #8,819 of 13,139

So far from just some initial feeling, there isn't a huge difference, but certainly isn't a step down.  I can feel that it is lighter, but the clamp force is about the same as the well worn original band. I wont lie and say that a large part of the appeal was making the headphones look as nice as they should; the exposed metal and crumbling foam band really took away the quality look for the rosewood.

Along those same lines, i also have a pair of black vegan earpads, as the original leather is starting to tear (this is the thin leather ring, and seems common as i have seen another poster talking about it as well).. All told, with new band, pads, and cable (maybe.. the guy hasn't shipped and its been a full week.....), i am in for ~$600, which seems like a good price still for what they are (especially since the most important part being they sound bloody great...)

Yeah, you're still in at an exceptional cost.  Enjoy! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,820 of 13,139

Went straight for the black vegans on 2.1 as well. Big difference over the original 2.1 ear-pads.
Wish someone could compare 2.1 low-end to very latest revision vs old F to new F comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back