Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #8,776 of 13,139
  ... you no longer get individualized frequency response graphs. I just bought a 2016 LCD 2F and when I called customer support they said they no longer do that as they use a master graph as all units closely resemble it.

In that case, here's the graph for my LCD-2F provided by Audeze. The bumps from 4 - 8 kHz appear to be an artifact of sinusoidal smoothing. The overall shape of the curve is similar to what InnerFidelity measured. You can see how a parametric EQ +3 dB centered at 4500 Hz Q=0.67 would make it nearly perfectly flat Freq Response.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #8,777 of 13,139

And by the way, sorry for not saying welcome to the posting world here on head-fi. So are you getting the aluminum version? I think it looks awesome.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #8,778 of 13,139

Nice looking graph, so that was an individualized one? Lucky. The lady I spoke with over the phone told me that while each unit is measured, they don't save the individual graphs anymore. It makes sense if the switch to the new driver membrane has led to a high level of consistency that Audeze can now say that the drivers measure very closely from unit to unit. Still, I like the idea of getting a graph for my unit, storage is cheap these days, I think they should still keep and provide them when requested as it was a nice touch.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #8,779 of 13,139
And by the way, sorry for not saying welcome to the posting world here on head-fi. So are you getting the aluminum version? I think it looks awesome.

Thanks, glad to be here.

Yes, I am considering the aluminum version. I think it looks cool and unique. If it ever happens, I am contemplating about pairing it with the Chord Mojo. What do you think of this combo? I think I'll be using my Iphone in the interim, until I find a suitable player; preferably one that has internet capabilities to play Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, and the like. Not really looking to go overboard as I mainly do HiFi, but just want a decent set up for work or on the go(ish).

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #8,780 of 13,139
Thanks, glad to be here.

Yes, I am considering the aluminum version. I think it looks cool and unique. If it ever happens, I am contemplating about pairing it with the Chord Mojo. What do you think of this combo? I think I'll be using my Iphone in the interim, until I find a suitable player; preferably one that has internet capabilities to play Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, and the like. Not really looking to go overboard as I mainly do HiFi, but just want a decent set up for work or on the go(ish).

I'm sure the Mojo would be fantastic with the LCD 2F. I have heard nothing but good things about the Mojo, but I'm not sure about the power. I'll have to look and see. My iFi iDSD Micro on normal is plenty of power for the LCD 2 and I listen loud so for what that is worth. I have taken a long time before getting the LCD 2 and owned a number of good headphones, and I can say I'm very glad I decided to get the Audeze. Really nice sound signature, and I like a big surface area so this is just awesome. The scale of the sound is very convincing. I grew up in the 80s with big sound systems, multiple big drivers so I guess I like the big sound you can only get from bigger drivers.

I went through the modern phase of nice speakers with multiple, small and fast drivers, and I love that approach as well. My KEF R300s have small but fast drivers (although I have a pair of smallish REL subs to support the bass) so I have tried various approaches and I remain firmly convinced that if you like realistic impact and feel, the drivers need to be large enough to bring that to the table.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #8,782 of 13,139
  @Sonic Defender You could submit a request for the frequency response graph via Audeze Customer Service Center.

Really? That sucks that the woman on the phone didn't tell me that. She took my serial number and just sent me the generic graph and told me they don't keep individual frequency graphs anymore? I'll have to see about that, thanks for the tip mate.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #8,783 of 13,139
  I'm sure the Mojo would be fantastic with the LCD 2F. I have heard nothing but good things about the Mojo, but I'm not sure about the power. I'll have to look and see. My iFi iDSD Micro on normal is plenty of power for the LCD 2 and I listen loud so for what that is worth. I have taken a long time before getting the LCD 2 and owned a number of good headphones, and I can say I'm very glad I decided to get the Audeze. Really nice sound signature, and I like a big surface area so this is just awesome. The scale of the sound is very convincing. I grew up in the 80s with big sound systems, multiple big drivers so I guess I like the big sound you can only get from bigger drivers.

I went through the modern phase of nice speakers with multiple, small and fast drivers, and I love that approach as well. My KEF R300s have small but fast drivers (although I have a pair of smallish REL subs to support the bass) so I have tried various approaches and I remain firmly convinced that if you like realistic impact and feel, the drivers need to be large enough to bring that to the table.

Nice! Just like you, I grew up in the late 70's and 80's and have always been accustomed to quality HiFi components. I currently have Raidho XT-3s, Aavik U-300 Integrated amplifier, and Ansuz Ceramic cables althroughout and my source is the Naim Unitiserve. I keep most of my music in a NAS. I used to have Rel B2s that I paired with my Dynaudio Sapphires and the pairing was fantastic.
I am really interested in finding out the synergy of the LDC-2F and Chord Mojo. The Chord Hugo will probably be overkill for the LCD 2s and would probably have to go higher up in the chain to achieve that "balance" , and I am not sure if I would like to spend that much on a can rig. :)

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #8,784 of 13,139
Nice! Just like you, I grew up in the late 70's and 80's and have always been accustomed to quality HiFi components. I currently have Raidho XT-3s, Aavik U-300 Integrated amplifier, and Ansuz Ceramic cables althroughout and my source is the Naim Unitiserve. I keep most of my music in a NAS. I used to have Rel B2s that I paired with my Dynaudio Sapphires and the pairing was fantastic.
I am really interested in finding out the synergy of the LDC-2F and Chord Mojo. The Chord Hugo will probably be overkill for the LCD 2s and would probably have to go higher up in the chain to achieve that "balance" , and I am not sure if I would like to spend that much on a can rig. :)

FYI the Hugo and the Mojo have the exact same output power so the biggest difference is in the tuning of the Mojo. Rob tuned the Mojo slightly smoother than the Hugo, but it is no less capable or resolving than the Hugo. If you would want a slightly brighter sound then the Hugo is the choice. Mojo handles more sampling rates.

Funny slip up from John Franks of Chord in this video, but he confirms what I just said about the capabilities between Hugo and Mojo (as well as mentioned it in the Mojo thread). Just press play and it will start at the appropriate spot:

https://vimeo.com/174185746#t=10m45s

In my Mojo review I articulate what the Mojo brings with the LCD-2 and in no way do I find it to be a bad pairing. In fact I've only preferred the Cavalli Liquid Crimson amp ($3000) over just the Mojo, compared to other gear I've heard. It's quite the head scratcher how they've packed enough power in to the tiny Mojo, but yes, to my ears, it's a great match, and can play loud if you want to.

Of course Hugo also has more input/output options, cross feed, Bluetooth, and a power brick.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #8,785 of 13,139

Sounds like you have enjoyed some great speaker systems in your day. The Naim must be beautiful. I almost bought a Supernait2 as I had a nice pair of Neat Motive speakers at the time. I hear that many Hugo owners who also tried the Mojo really felt that the Mojo brought most of the sound quality for a greatly reduced price so I suspect the Mojo will suffice unless you like really high volume playback.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #8,786 of 13,139
Sounds like you have enjoyed some great speaker systems in your day. The Naim must be beautiful. I almost bought a Supernait2 as I had a nice pair of Neat Motive speakers at the time. I hear that many Hugo owners who also tried the Mojo really felt that the Mojo brought most of the sound quality for a greatly reduced price so I suspect the Mojo will suffice unless you like really high volume playback.

Yeah, Mojo plays loud to the LCD-2, no worries there. Same power as Hugo, shorter battery life.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #8,787 of 13,139
In my Mojo review I articulate what the Mojo bring with the LCD-2 and in no way do I find it to be a bad pairing. In fact I've only preferred the Cavalli Liquid Crimson amp ($3000) over just the Mojo, compared to other gear I've heard. It's quite the head scratcher how they've packed enough power in to the tiny Mojo, but yes, to my ears, it's a great match, and can play loud if you want to.

Awesome, and not unexpected feedback. I think Chord must have killed off Hugo sales quite a bit with the introduction of the Mojo.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #8,788 of 13,139
Awesome, and not unexpected feedback. I think Chord must have killed off Hugo sales quite a bit with the introduction of the Mojo.

Funny, in the video I just linked they bring up that exact same point. Apparently it's been the opposite.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #8,789 of 13,139
Funny, in the video I just linked they bring up that exact same point. Apparently it's been the opposite.

Really? That is surprising. But I'll bet the spike is from people who think if the Mojo sounds that good at x dollars, then the Hugo at x dollars must sound that much better. Sad if true.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #8,790 of 13,139
Really? That is surprising. But I'll bet the spike is from people who think if the Mojo sounds that good at x dollars, the Hugo at x dollars must sound that much better. Sad if true.

Some people like to listen with their wallets. :wink_face:

Others vastly prefer the slightly brighter sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back