Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #8,371 of 13,134
  Latest version is way less sibilant, and much more of an enjoyable listen. The bass is much better now, and growls almost like the 2.2 I had a year ago. The bass on the older fazor was okay but this newer version is obviosuly better. The highs are tamer compared to the old fazor but still very nicely extended. The newer version isn't dark, but the treble wont be in your face at all. I personally enjoy the treble on these, even sibilant tracks still sound smooth in my experience.

Wow! The new ones are even darker than the older version! I thought they made the treble a little bit more extended and so it's brighter, but it seems I was wrong!

Thanks, Ampeezy for your reply!

May 29, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #8,372 of 13,134
  Wow! The new ones are even darker than the older version! I thought they made the treble a little bit more extended and so it's brighter, but it seems I was wrong!

Thanks, Ampeezy for your reply!

it is brighter than the pre fazor models, but less so when compared to my older fazors. The older fazors had a bit too much treble for my liking. Mind you, the treble is still nicely extended, just not in your face

May 29, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #8,373 of 13,134

That is an inappropriate word to use in reference to the LCD-2. They are the least sibilant headphones you can possibly buy. Even the slightly brighter versions, like early model 2.2F. None of them accentuate sibilance.

May 29, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #8,374 of 13,134
  The overall sound is more natural to my ears on the LCD2.2.
Objectively the bass goes lower. Sub bass on LCD2.2 just go straight down. Some might say the LCDX is tighter but for me it's the psycho acoustic effect of the rolled off sub.
Now in the mids/higs the presentation of the LCD2.2 is darker than the LCDX, so it's question of taste. Personally, I prefer the slightly forward presentation because with the LCD's you have all the details anyway and you can push the LCD2.2 without being fatiguing. Actually, LCD2.2 liked to be gently slapped creating a very engaging experience.
But you need a amp/dac section that is able to deliver all the richness they can give you. They are very power hungry and not all dac or amp are capable to accurately reproduce the lower and higher frequencies (particularly the dac for the later).
The LCDX is easier to drive but will still benefit from a good dac/amp. 

Natural is a wonderful word to describe the Rev 2. Why I love them so.
beyersmile.png

Question: How good does my gear go with the LCD-2.2? It's a Violectric V200 and a REGA Dac. I quite like the analog-like sound but wonder how I could do better. Thoughts of getting a different headphone sometimes turn into thoughts of getting new equipment but I don't know what could improve.

May 30, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #8,375 of 13,134

Natural is a wonderful word to describe the Rev 2. Why I love them so.
beyersmile.png

Question: How good does my gear go with the LCD-2.2? It's a Violectric V200 and a REGA Dac. I quite like the analog-like sound but wonder how I could do better. Thoughts of getting a different headphone sometimes turn into thoughts of getting new equipment but I don't know what could improve.

I had the occasion to hear the LCD2.2 with the violetric. For me it was a tad darky for the LCD2.2, but I don't know how is the sound signature of the REGA, so it might complement. Moreover, if like you an analogue sound signature, it might be for your taste.
But power wise it was fine.
Personally I have a Bryston BHA-1 as an amp (with Weiss DAC 202), and it's a wonderful. The bryston really makes my LCD2.2 shines. Deep bass, detailed mids/treble.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,376 of 13,134
I was doing research prior to purchasing LCD2, shot Audeze an email asking about fazor and how they affect the sound (particularly the bass) this is the response I received. 

AudezeFazor technology does NOT affect the frequencies below about 800-900Hz.There are people blogging the Fazors have weakened the low frequency 
performance - they're wrong – we can show you the graphs. However, the Fazors do smooth out the midrange (so perhaps some listeners might think the bass has changed), and they do lower the distortion. They also move the sonic presentation slightly forward from the center of your head to behind your eyeballs. Please note the Fazor improvements are refinements, not revisions, so you would have to compare Fazor and non-razor versions side-by-side to hear the differences. We see this happen all the time at the headphone shows - customers bring their older LCD2s to compare to the Fazor version, and they hear the subtle differences. FYI, virtually all of these customers ended up buying the Fazor version, or paid for an upgrade. However, we did make a change to the diaphragm material shortly before the Fazor change to be able to make the headphones much more consistent. This could be why some measurements of earlier models are different than the Fazor versions. Also, at very low frequencies, the slightest change (even 1mm) in headphone placement on the dummy head in testing can give different results.

There can be one issue with the Fazors – it pokes out a few millimeters inside of the earcup, and for a very few people (less than 5% of the population), the ridges of the Fazor elements touch their ears, and this can be uncomfortable.

Another point to consider is that with commercial digital recordings, there is virtually NO information below 40Hz (unless specifically recorded AND mastered). And headphone/speaker response at 5-20Hz is not really "heard" by humans; it is bone and body cavity conduction. If you really want better perception of frequencies below 30Hz, you might try adding a subwoofer (although very few go lower than 35Hz) or a device like the SubPac.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #8,378 of 13,134
Even if according to Audeze I shouldn't be able to perceive it, my LCD2.2 goes lower than every fazor I tried.
Not all tracks have low subs but I do like few of them.
While subs are difficult to perceive, any roll off will make them below the perceiving threshold.
Actually sub are partially transmit by bones and the big over the ear driver of the LCD creates this kind of effect on the pinna and the head.
Also subs play a role in the compression of the ear.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #8,379 of 13,134
  Of course it'll sound different, I'm not saying it doesn't, but it sounds great to my ears. I also didn't say it "extends all the way down." It has awesome extension. I own a May 2015 Fazor LCD-2 and it sounds fantastic. I have no idea what problems you're talking about. How much time have you spent with a pre-november 2015 fazor model?

Also, keep in mind that Audeze has said they have changed measurement techniques more than once, so you shouldn't be taking FR graphs as gospel about how a headphone sounds.

The changes in frequency response from pre fazor up until now is well documented throughout this thread, from subjective listening to actual measurements. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #8,380 of 13,134

The changes in frequency response from pre fazor up until now is well documented throughout this thread, from subjective listening to actual measurements. 

I understand that the sound has changed, but the degree to which people say it has is a little silly to me. People act like the Pre November 2015 Fazor models are garbage and sound terrible and only the new ones are good, when it's really just a minor, subtle difference. There is so much hyperbole here over little, tiny, minor differences, I just don't get it. It's quite an audiophile tendency. Just look at cable debates. It's total madness.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8,381 of 13,134
I understand that the sound has changed, but the degree to which people say it has is a little silly to me. People act like the Pre November 2015 Fazor models are garbage and sound terrible and only the new ones are good, when it's really just a minor, subtle difference. There is so much hyperbole here over little, tiny, minor differences, I just don't get it. It's quite an audiophile tendency. Just look at cable debates. It's total madness.

Fair enough. I agree that hyperbole is strong in this hobby.

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #8,382 of 13,134
Look up Tyll's cable measurements on inner fidelity, if you want to talk about hyperbole in this hobby.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #8,384 of 13,134
This is my first time to try my 2.2 directly on iphone, and they are still sound amazing. I am using Marantz HD-DAC1 right now, and actually I prefer the sound comes directly from iphone... Is there any recommended amp for LCD2?

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #8,385 of 13,134
  This is my first time to try my 2.2 directly on iphone, and they are still sound amazing. I am using Marantz HD-DAC1 right now, and actually I prefer the sound comes directly from iphone... Is there any recommended amp for LCD2?

I find that hard to believe haha, but i use the Burson Soloist and it sounds plenty fine. People have also praised the ifi micro idsd if you're looking for an amp/dac combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back