Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,056 of 13,132

Have you had a chance to compare silent revision LCD 2 to X? I only heard a fazor model last year but apparently silent revision takes the bass back to pre-fazor level. I agree that LCD 2's lower price is very attractive.

Unfortunately I have no personal experience with Audezes. (Yet.)

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,057 of 13,132
Really enjoy the sound of the LCD2.2 pre-Fazor I have, especially paired w Liquid Carbon amp Balanced.

The thing is the earpads started to peel pretty badly at the rims due to its age, well, only 2.5 years, not really too old. But the earpads look very bad...

On their website, it says the earpads were made from the best lamb skin from somewhere in Italy. But these don't really ok that way. For such a pair of expensive headphones, I really didn't expect this could happen so soon. They still sound great, and are still pretty comfortable to wear, but these look really ugly.

How about you guys' copies? Any of you had the same problem w yours?

Blimey... Would not expect to be seeing that.
I chose lamb for durability.

My background is in watch design and I know my leathers. That's a very thin split of lambskin.
I've a lamb leather jacket that's taken son knocks over the years and looks better than that.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #8,058 of 13,132
  What's the silent revision? I just got a lcd2 from Audeze, bass sounds great on my pair.

Apparently LCD 2s shipped since December 2015 have a different tuning to previous fazor models, closer to pre-fazor LCD 2s. I have not heard one myself, but they say that the bass has much more impact and slam, more authority. Someone on another forum actually wrote a review about this new model (I can PM you the review, I'm not sure if it's allowed posting the link here). He basically says post-revision LCD 2 "does bass better than the HE1000, some LCD-3, HEX, HE560 and pretty much anything else out there."

Audeze officials recently said they re-voiced EL-8 line, so I'm not surprised LCD line is re-voiced as well. That said, LCD line also have had some hardware changes as well (thinner film or something like that).

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,059 of 13,132

Apparently LCD 2s shipped since December 2015 have a different tuning to previous fazor models, closer to pre-fazor LCD 2s. I have not heard one myself, but they say that the bass has much more impact and slam, more authority. Someone on another forum actually wrote a review about this new model (I can PM you the review, I'm not sure if it's allowed posting the link here). He basically says post-revision LCD 2 "does bass better than the HE1000, some LCD-3, HEX, HE560 and pretty much anything else out there."

Audeze officials recently said they re-voiced EL-8 line, so I'm not surprised LCD line is re-voiced as well. That said, LCD line also have had some hardware changes as well (thinner film or something like that).

Different sounding headphones under the exact same name from the same manufacturer?
I am slightly sceptical.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #8,060 of 13,132

Different sounding headphones under the exact same name from the same manufacturer?
I am slightly sceptical.

Well don't be, if it's Audeze. Audeze doesn't have the driver consistency of Sennheiser and they are known to have done many silent revisions over the years.

Anyway, Mark Cohen talking about re-voiced EL-8 line...

"...Cohen also points out that the EL-8 have seen significant re-voicing since their CES 2015 debut and that anyone not hearing them in the last six months “Hasn’t heard the EL-8”...."

It's on digitalaudioreview website if you want to read the whole article.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #8,061 of 13,132
This means that I have the the silent revision. My bass sounds pretty good too. I just got my drivers installed in mine last week. 
Would be cool to compare them to the lcd-x, my memory could be wrong. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #8,063 of 13,132

Well don't be, if it's Audeze. Audeze doesn't have the driver consistency of Sennheiser and they are known to have done many silent revisions over the years.

Anyway, Mark Cohen talking about re-voiced EL-8 line...

"...Cohen also points out that the EL-8 have seen significant re-voicing since their CES 2015 debut and that anyone not hearing them in the last six months “Hasn’t heard the EL-8”...."

It's on digitalaudioreview website if you want to read the whole article.

Wow. That is not a responsible behavior from a big manufacturer like Audeze.

This means on the second hand market one can absolutely have no idea what sound signature they get.

I find this to be a pretty poor approach for a big name as Audeze.

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,064 of 13,132

Wow. That is not a responsible behavior from a big manufacturer like Audeze.

This means on the second hand market one can absolutely have no idea what sound signature they get.

I find this to be a pretty poor approach for a big name as Audeze.

I think it's a great approach, it's continuous product improvement. As an engineer, my goal is always to make my process better. I think of my primary customers first, as a producer of a product, my concerns are done after the product warranty is over. I know that isn't ideal for everyone, but it's how a business needs to run to make itself better and more competitive. They could help the used market if they publicly released revision information, but that would upset new customers, so I don't really care either way.

It kinda makes me want to send mine in for new drivers. I had them break on me in May of 2015 so mine are a revision before the latest one at least. Would be nice to have even more bass slam for death metal.

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #8,065 of 13,132
  I think it's a great approach, it's continuous product improvement. As an engineer, my goal is always to make my process better. I think of my primary customers first, as a producer of a product, my concerns are done after the product warranty is over. I know that isn't ideal for everyone, but it's how a business needs to run to make itself better and more competitive. They could help the used market if they publicly released revision information, but that would upset new customers, so I don't really care either way.

It kinda makes me want to send mine in for new drivers. I had them break on me in May of 2015 so mine are a revision before the latest one at least. Would be nice to have even more bass slam for death metal.

Sure, but if there were significant improvements in sound quality, signature or driver itself, they should (must) indicate it at least with a new letter in the product name.
LCD 2F2 or something like this.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #8,066 of 13,132
Sure, but if there were significant improvements in sound quality, signature or driver itself, they should (must) indicate it at least with a new letter in the product name.

I disagree. They are continuously making their product better, that's a good thing. Hifiman does the same thing, Sennheiser has been known to do so too. . Fiio tried to, but idiots on the x7 thread went bonkers.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #8,067 of 13,132

I disagree. They are continuously making their product better, that's a good thing. Hifiman does the same thing, Sennheiser has been known to do so too. . Fiio tried to, but idiots on the x7 thread went bonkers.

In this case we disagree on this matter.
In my opinion a product name should indicate the exact same quality.
If something changes in quality, the name should change as well. At least with a letter.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #8,068 of 13,132
Most hi-end audio companies develop their products with evolution in mind. (Some even aim for revolution -- giant leaps in SQ). As such, I tend to promote the notion that not all gear within a manufacturer's product categories should/would sound the same.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #8,069 of 13,132
I've been seeing this from Audeze for quite a while. My LCD-XC sounds quite different from others I've heard, and the LCD-2 measurements also vary quite a lot, even without official or silent revisions. There is simply a lot of variation from Audeze. Still sounds good though.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #8,070 of 13,132

I am slightly sceptical.

Yes, a thing with Audeze for sure...mine sounded much better when they came from repair...bass was much better and overall a much much smoother listen. My original pair was manufactured in January 2015, and the repair was done in February 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back