Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #11,986 of 13,139
Wow , people really over think.

Nov 27, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #11,987 of 13,139
Since 88dB was too loud I'd assume that op would probably be listening in the 70-75dB range most of the time which is not bad. I'm usually somewhere in the 55-75 range most of the time

Well given this is a headphone forum, I don't think we should assume. I just wanted to point out the disclaimer that exposure of louder sound pressures have that much more detrimental effects (made easier with headphones). This is just being responsible. If you want to know your hearing capabilities, you should get your hearing tested : what you think your perceived dB is pretty poor. Never mind how to average the given sound pressure, but if you do have hearing loss, you can have higher sensitivity with listening comfort of 85dB.

Nov 27, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #11,988 of 13,139
Well given this is a headphone forum, I don't think we should assume. I just wanted to point out the disclaimer that exposure of louder sound pressures have that much more detrimental effects (made easier with headphones). This is just being responsible. If you want to know your hearing capabilities, you should get your hearing tested : what you think your perceived dB is pretty poor. Never mind how to average the given sound pressure, but if you do have hearing loss, you can have higher sensitivity with listening comfort of 85dB.
Not going to argue with you but my point was with the op who didn't have much to go on and since he now has a rough estimate on his listening levels it was the main point and since the op has already noted that 88dB was way too loud for him its all that really matters from my side. If he wants to get his hearing tested and such that's up to him at this point. For me I usually get my hearing tested once a year (part of the retirement medical plan) so I know that I have a slight lost (0.5dB to 1.5db) in the 800hz to 4000hz range and can still hear up to 16khz which is about average/slightly better than average for my age (59) per my doc. My doc jokes that I actually have "selective" hearing since the range that I have the lost is around the female vocal range LOL and something that my female friends and ex-girlfriends joke about all the time.

Nov 27, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #11,989 of 13,139
Not going to argue with you but my point was with the op who didn't have much to go on and since he now has a rough estimate on his listening levels it was the main point and since the op has already noted that 88dB was way too loud for him its all that really matters from my side. If he wants to get his hearing tested and such that's up to him at this point. For me I usually get my hearing tested once a year (part of the retirement medical plan) so I know that I have a slight lost (0.5dB to 1.5db) in the 800hz to 4000hz range and can still hear up to 16khz which is about average/slightly better than average for my age (59) per my doc. My doc jokes that I actually have "selective" hearing since the range that I have the lost is around the female vocal range LOL and something that my female friends and ex-girlfriends joke about all the time.

Sorry, not sure who original OP is as it seems there's some cross talk between Max079 and marcan. marcan was more adamant about listening to loud sound levels and no loss after all these years: vs Max079 who hasn't stated any numbers. If we were evaluating Max079's numbers, we don't know. If your only baseline is "I can comfortably listen to this dB", then that's not enough. My main argument is that "hey, you listen at this level, so you have no hearing damage" is both inaccurate and irresponsible. (as someone who did listen to louder levels now can't stand that and can only tolerate lower levels).

When it comes to hearing, I also have good high frequency hearing in my age range. I also found that when I was a teenager, my great grandmother had harder problems hearing me (as apparently my voice range was right in an area she had more problems hearing).

Nov 27, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #11,990 of 13,139
Sorry, not sure who original OP is as it seems there's some cross talk between Max079 and marcan. marcan was more adamant about listening to loud sound levels and no loss after all these years: vs Max079 who hasn't stated any numbers. If we were evaluating Max079's numbers, we don't know. If your only baseline is "I can comfortably listen to this dB", then that's not enough. My main argument is that "hey, you listen at this level, so you have no hearing damage" is both inaccurate and irresponsible. (as someone who did listen to louder levels now can't stand that and can only tolerate lower levels).

When it comes to hearing, I also have good high frequency hearing in my age range. I also found that when I was a teenager, my great grandmother had harder problems hearing me (as apparently my voice range was right in an area she had more problems hearing).
Whats your age ?

Nov 27, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #11,991 of 13,139
Nov 27, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #11,992 of 13,139
I grew up shooting shotguns , rifles , machine guns with no ear protection. Had 10,000 watts in my car for 20 yrs. Im 54 now and my hearing is pretty good. I do get ringing every other month from headphone use. Guess if my hearing last 20 more years then Im ok to die.

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #11,993 of 13,139
I grew up shooting shotguns , rifles , machine guns with no ear protection. Had 10,000 watts in my car for 20 yrs. Im 54 now and my hearing is pretty good. I do get ringing every other month from headphone use. Guess if my hearing last 20 more years then Im ok to die.

Thanks for your anecdotes, but when it comes to guns....that's a prime example of my original post about sound pressure vs duration. One short gunshot is one thing: extended loud music is another.

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #11,994 of 13,139
you're still young, take care of your hearing. My dad used to build furniture and I was always helping out but I did use hearing protection so while I do have some hearing loss its not quite as bad as it could have been and I'm glad that I don't have any ringing. And I have to admit that not being able to hear female voices at times is kinda nice :ksc75smile:

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #11,995 of 13,139
Thanks for your anecdotes, but when it comes to guns....that's a prime example of my original post about sound pressure vs duration. One short gunshot is one thing: extended loud music is another.
Understood , yeah shooting guns left me with 2 days of not able to hear well on top of that over 20years with 10,000 watts , four 12 inch woofer , two 10 inch pounding then add over 150 live concerts and night clubbing. Now that Im in Hong Kong Im using headphones 3 hrs , seven days a week for the last 11 years.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #11,996 of 13,139
you're still young, take care of your hearing. My dad used to build furniture and I was always helping out but I did use hearing protection so while I do have some hearing loss its not quite as bad as it could have been and I'm glad that I don't have any ringing. And I have to admit that not being able to hear female voices at times is kinda nice :ksc75smile:

I guess in this forum it seems I'm young. More Youtube videos I watch, I feel very old (IE, like technology, and see computer technologies and feel old with restorations of computer systems I had in college). Also reading the averages of given hearing ranges, I know I am above average for my age range, but that has to go with frequency ranges. I also have been more isolated compared to others in my age range in which I've had more limited exposure to really loud live music events. Most my music experience is symphonies and just a few rock venues. But whatever the case for our experiences, my initial arguments about basis of hearing loss is sound.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #11,997 of 13,139
Hmm yes the duration thing. I have no doubt that one shotgun (if you are the shooter) will kill your ear more surely than a well mixed music at 95db for 2 hours. A shotgun will pass through all your natural protections.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #11,998 of 13,139
Hmm yes the duration thing. I have no doubt that one shotgun (if you are the shooter) will kill your ear more surely than a well mixed music at 95db for 2 hours. A shotgun will pass through all your natural protections.
Let alone shooting for 2 hrs with various guns. I dont shoot anymore but I did when a teen. Used to bring car parts , tv sets etc and shoot. Also if I could go back in time I would have used ear protection. Im amazed my hearing is ok , I have been tested.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #11,999 of 13,139
Dear Guys,

First of all I appreciate all hints and guidance about my original questioin and the result of the measurement i did.
I have learned from your answers and from the link attached and derive consequences.
What i didn't want to create, reason for "fight" between you.
I happy for the result i have and ones more, thanks.
Peace, Peter

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #12,000 of 13,139
Hey guys, I have a question for you all. I've had my lcd-2 for about 3 years now and I absolutely love them. To me they are significantly better than my hd650, and noticably better than my he500. However, my left ear began cutting in and out. It would go away if I wiggled the cord and got it in a position it liked, but if the cord moved it seemed to disconnect and I'd lose sound again. Now, however, the left ear is completely dead. I bought these about 3 years ago for the black friday sale b-stock, so I believe they only have a 2 year warranty, i.e. they are out of warranty. Is there a cheap way to possibly diagnose and/or fix the problem without having to ship it across the country to Audeze? I'm addicted to the sound and need to get these back working ASAP, please help! Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back