Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #12,001 of 13,132
Hey guys, I have a question for you all. I've had my lcd-2 for about 3 years now and I absolutely love them. To me they are significantly better than my hd650, and noticably better than my he500. However, my left ear began cutting in and out. It would go away if I wiggled the cord and got it in a position it liked, but if the cord moved it seemed to disconnect and I'd lose sound again. Now, however, the left ear is completely dead. I bought these about 3 years ago for the black friday sale b-stock, so I believe they only have a 2 year warranty, i.e. they are out of warranty. Is there a cheap way to possibly diagnose and/or fix the problem without having to ship it across the country to Audeze? I'm addicted to the sound and need to get these back working ASAP, please help! Thanks in advance
Have you reversed the mini-XLRs...right into left port and left into right port to be sure its not the cable is the issue ?

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #12,002 of 13,132
Have you reversed the mini-XLRs...right into left port and left into right port to be sure its not the cable is the issue ?

You know, for some reason I assumed the L and R were different connectors somehow, but I just tried it. They're actually playing in both ears now, but still go in and out as the cable moves, and it switched sides when I switched the connectors. So it does appear to be the cable. I assume it's where the stress relief is on the cable by the connector since it goes in and out when I wiggle it. Is this something I can fix myself? I know new cables can be quite pricey, what kind of damage to my wallet am I looking at here? Thank you so much for your reply

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #12,003 of 13,132
You know, for some reason I assumed the L and R were different connectors somehow, but I just tried it. They're actually playing in both ears now, but still go in and out as the cable moves, and it switched sides when I switched the connectors. So it does appear to be the cable. I assume it's where the stress relief is on the cable by the connector since it goes in and out when I wiggle it. Is this something I can fix myself? I know new cables can be quite pricey, what kind of damage to my wallet am I looking at here? Thank you so much for your reply
You can dig up the DIY cable thread and ask someone with a track record in your country to fix it. You can also pick up mini-XLR terminated cables on aliX etc if roundtrip shipping plus repair does not make it feasible.
Sometimes its good to mention the obvious...as it may not be obvious to you regarding flipping cables to opposite port to test if the cable is the issue... :ksc75smile:

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #12,004 of 13,132
You can dig up the DIY cable thread and ask someone with a track record in your country to fix it. You can also pick up mini-XLR terminated cables on aliX etc if roundtrip shipping plus repair does not make it feasible.
Sometimes its good to mention the obvious...as it may not be obvious to you regarding flipping cables to opposite port to test if the cable is the issue... :ksc75smile:

I'll have to contact Audeze and see how much the total would be. Replacement cables from Auduze look like they cost $150, which seems pretty high to me for a cable. A quick search turned up 40$, 60$, and 70$ cables on Amazon... I can't imagine I'd notice a difference, or would I? People here seem to think they do, but I'm skeptical. Or is there a recommended cable type for this situation? Thoughts?

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #12,005 of 13,132
I'll have to contact Audeze and see how much the total would be. Replacement cables from Auduze look like they cost $150, which seems pretty high to me for a cable. A quick search turned up 40$, 60$, and 70$ cables on Amazon... I can't imagine I'd notice a difference, or would I? People here seem to think they do, but I'm skeptical. Or is there a recommended cable type for this situation? Thoughts?
Well-built, flexible, no microphonics, right length ? Cable DB8 gets a bit hot on this site, so its just what works for each person and makes them satisfied...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #12,006 of 13,132
Well-built, flexible, no microphonics, right length ? Cable DB8 gets a bit hot on this site, so its just what works for each person and makes them satisfied...

Hey, fair enough! Not trying to get into a debate here. Do you know of any recommended brands or types of replacement cables? I'd like to keep it under 100$ if possible, and cheaper is better assuming similar quality. A quick search turns up several possibilities, do you have any thoughts on these? Btw you rock dude, thank you so much for the help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Audeze-...387301?hash=item28819f3825:g:5hgAAOSwmNxaZkG4

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...WTG8W3C907ZS&refRID=7SZGS88VWTG8W3C907ZS&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/CANARE-BLACK-NEUTRIK-AUDEZE-CABLE/dp/B077BXPXMB?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Replacement-upgrade-Headphones-adapter/dp/B07DDMDLHD

The third link is a canare speaker cable, which I believe is pretty similar to the ones that came stock on my lcd2 (I bought them before they did the ribbon cables). Also I don't have to order from amazon, but I have gift cards there totaling like 120$, so it'd be nice if it came from there, but not necessary

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #12,007 of 13,132
Most stock cables are hard or impossible to work on from my limited tries in trying to repair them. I'm one that has not heard any different in cables costing $75 (basic Mogami, Canare or Van Damme) up to $500 (Forza, Cardas, Double-Helix) for headphones so I wouldn't spend much over $50-75 for replacement cables.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #12,008 of 13,132
Hey, fair enough! Not trying to get into a debate here. Do you know of any recommended brands or types of replacement cables? I'd like to keep it under 100$ if possible, and cheaper is better assuming similar quality. A quick search turns up several possibilities, do you have any thoughts on these? Btw you rock dude, thank you so much for the help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Audeze-...387301?hash=item28819f3825:g:5hgAAOSwmNxaZkG4

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...WTG8W3C907ZS&refRID=7SZGS88VWTG8W3C907ZS&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/CANARE-BLACK-NEUTRIK-AUDEZE-CABLE/dp/B077BXPXMB?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Replacement-upgrade-Headphones-adapter/dp/B07DDMDLHD

The third link is a canare speaker cable, which I believe is pretty similar to the ones that came stock on my lcd2 (I bought them before they did the ribbon cables). Also I don't have to order from amazon, but I have gift cards there totaling like 120$, so it'd be nice if it came from there, but not necessary
Did not mean getting in a debate with you, I just meant the cable debate in general that pops up on threads from time-to-time.
I'd go for amazon if you have gift coupons...done deal - back to listening and all things LCD-2.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #12,009 of 13,132
Did not mean getting in a debate with you, I just meant the cable debate in general that pops up on threads from time-to-time.
I'd go for amazon if you have gift coupons...done deal - back to listening and all things LCD-2.

Haha no worries, I know what you meant. I know the cable debate wrt sound quality is a hot one, didn't mean to get into that here. I'm leaning towards that canare cable for 60$ from amazon

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #12,010 of 13,132
I really like my 'camo' cable from customcans.co.uk. It's a very flexible double-braided soft type of cable. I ordered it with 1/8" ends as it is more convenient for me to add a 1/4" adapter to a 1/8" plug rather than the other way round. You can get a 1.5M cable for around $100 CAD, delivered internationally, and it looks like they are offering a two-year warranty. Great selection of colours. Good service...they repaired a cable for my HD650's (under warranty) with no problem.

You could also look into buying one from Asona...I have a nice grey one on my Audioquest Nightowls (cost: $35 CAD, on sale). Here in Canada headphonebar.com has the LCD Asona cable on sale for $60 CAD..and it's 5 metres long! Really nice bricks and mortar store in Vancouver. Not sure if they ship internationally though. https://headphonebar.com/collection.../asona-headphone-cable-fits-audeze-headphones

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #12,011 of 13,132
Does anyone hang the Lcd2 Classic from the suspension strap when not in use? I am concerned that the ear ups may be so heavy that they would bend the metal of the headband out of shape over time if you leave the headphone hanging up...

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #12,012 of 13,132
I really like my 'camo' cable from customcans.co.uk. It's a very flexible double-braided soft type of cable. I ordered it with 1/8" ends as it is more convenient for me to add a 1/4" adapter to a 1/8" plug rather than the other way round. You can get a 1.5M cable for around $100 CAD, delivered internationally, and it looks like they are offering a two-year warranty. Great selection of colours. Good service...they repaired a cable for my HD650's (under warranty) with no problem.

You could also look into buying one from Asona...I have a nice grey one on my Audioquest Nightowls (cost: $35 CAD, on sale). Here in Canada headphonebar.com has the LCD Asona cable on sale for $60 CAD..and it's 5 metres long! Really nice bricks and mortar store in Vancouver. Not sure if they ship internationally though. https://headphonebar.com/collection.../asona-headphone-cable-fits-audeze-headphones

Thanks for the recommendations! I'd probably get a longer cable and just black so I'm not sure the first custom option really makes sense for me at 103.50 euros, although I'll definitely consider it. Unfortunately the second site only ships to Canada. I'm still trying to figure this out, it's hard to find reviews on a lot of these cables

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #12,013 of 13,132
Hey guys, I have a question for you all. I've had my lcd-2 for about 3 years now and I absolutely love them. To me they are significantly better than my hd650, and noticably better than my he500. However, my left ear began cutting in and out. It would go away if I wiggled the cord and got it in a position it liked, but if the cord moved it seemed to disconnect and I'd lose sound again. Now, however, the left ear is completely dead. I bought these about 3 years ago for the black friday sale b-stock, so I believe they only have a 2 year warranty, i.e. they are out of warranty. Is there a cheap way to possibly diagnose and/or fix the problem without having to ship it across the country to Audeze? I'm addicted to the sound and need to get these back working ASAP, please help! Thanks in advance

Hi Greg,

If i understand correct your cable is the main root cause , probably a wire broken.
In this case i would quickly get a spare cable and test the headphone, if it's solves the issue, then you can look for a better cable, which anyway could improve your headphone sound quality.
I don't see where are you located, but if you have an audio store close to you i would start there.

If the cable is not the root cause , you still can contact with Audeze.

Br,
Peter

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #12,014 of 13,132
Hi guys,

I have auditioned the lcd 2 Fazor with a proper headphone amp. I cannot recall the model/brand but I loved the sound.

Well, would you say that a dragonfly cobalt can adequately power the lcd 2? I guess there are always benefits it getting something better, but if I get 90% of the performance with this combo I would be totally fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back