Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #8,326 of 13,134
I work in the wood products industry and I can't imagine any wood being lighter than aluminum, as aluminum is already an extremely light/low density metal.

Bamboo might be fairly close.

The major weight of the LCD-2 probably has little to do with the rim of the cups. The magnets and steel frame is where most of it's at.

May 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #8,327 of 13,134
Bamboo might be fairly close.

The major weight of the LCD-2 probably has little to do with the rim of the cups. The magnets and steel frame is where most of it's at.

It's a bamboo composite, so it's going to be a lot heavier than bamboo itself. Also, it has to be a lot thicker than aluminum, which is usually used in incredibly thin sheets.

For reference, the LCD-2 Bamboo is 490 grams, and the Rosewood is 522 grams, so just moving up from a composite to solid wood is over an ounce in weight, or a 6.5% increase in overall weight. I can imagine the reduction in weight from using a thin, light metal would be substantial.

May 11, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #8,328 of 13,134
With the aluminum LCD-2 I last about 30 mins with them on, then my head starts slightly hurting everywhere. I can go on for an hour but then taking them off would be VERY painful and sore. I haven't heard non-fazor LCD-2 but bass is hitting hard on this fazor one. Soundstage is also okay and 3D-like, though decidedly small compared to the cans I owned before (K702, TH600 etc.). About treble, if the song has sibilance I can easily hear it - no sugar coating bad singing/recording here, but overall treble is still quite calm and not over the top. I think I now understand what people mean when they describe the LCD cans as "juicy" sounding. 

I'm just using my laptop's onboard audio by Creative, but the built-in amp has easily enough gain to drive the LCD-2 to good sound levels so I don't think I'm missing out too much. The LCD-2 has been going for ~10 hours of music on time.

May 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #8,329 of 13,134
  With the aluminum LCD-2 I last about 30 mins with them on, then my head starts slightly hurting everywhere. I can go on for an hour but then taking them off would be VERY painful and sore. I haven't heard non-fazor LCD-2 but bass is hitting hard on this fazor one. Soundstage is also okay and 3D-like, though decidedly small compared to the cans I owned before (K702, TH600 etc.). About treble, if the song has sibilance I can easily hear it - no sugar coating bad singing/recording here, but overall treble is still quite calm and not over the top. I think I now understand what people mean when they describe the LCD cans as "juicy" sounding. 

I'm just using my laptop's onboard audio by Creative, but the built-in amp has easily enough gain to drive the LCD-2 to good sound levels so I don't think I'm missing out too much. The LCD-2 has been going for ~10 hours of music on time.

Wow that's really unfortunate, I can wear mine forever. Sure i can feel the weight a bit but it doesnt bother me that much. If its the headband that's really getting you sore you should look into the comfort straps mate.

May 11, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #8,330 of 13,134
  Wow that's really unfortunate, I can wear mine forever. Sure i can feel the weight a bit but it doesnt bother me that much. If its the headband that's really getting you sore you should look into the comfort straps mate.

Agreed, either that or just keep playing with how far forward or back the headband sits, I have to wear mine in a very particular spot on my head or else it starts hurting, but I can easily find the sweet spot now and I can wear the headphones all day.

May 11, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #8,331 of 13,134

Agreed, either that or just keep playing with how far forward or back the headband sits, I have to wear mine in a very particular spot on my head or else it starts hurting, but I can easily find the sweet spot now and I can wear the headphones all day.

I tend to wear mine in the reclining position.  Works like a charm! 
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #8,332 of 13,134
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I have been playing with the headband. I do find that I have to extend it nearly all the way down to even get the pads to line up to my ears. 

I really love the sound however, always thought I wouldn't like this kind of sound signature. 

May 11, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #8,333 of 13,134
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I have been playing with the headband. I do find that I have to extend it nearly all the way down to even get the pads to line up to my ears. 

I really love the sound however, always thought I wouldn't like this kind of sound signature. 

You can buy extended rods from audeze.

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/extended-yoke-rods

Cheers.

May 12, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #8,334 of 13,134

You will change your mind after listening to them on a good amp that can output 1W+ into 70ohms. Better transients, more presence and more gravitas to the sound. Like listening to full bodied speakers.

May 12, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #8,337 of 13,134
And when you get the interconnects, some new market disruptor piece of hardware will just be released to improve your cans SQ just that bit out of reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back