Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #8,267 of 13,139
  My portable chain is laptop- meridian explorer 2-objective 2-Lcd 2.
From which one should adjust the volume?
Foobar, laptop (it's common with meridians as when I adjust one the other follows accordingly) or objective?
Right now I have meridian laptop and foobar at max vol. and I am adjusting the objectives knob.
Does that insert any hissing as I have the other volumes at max?

For best sound quality:
Look up how to set up Foobar2000 and Windows for bit perfect.  I use the Meridian ASIO E2 driver. 
I set Windows Sound to 16/44 so that I can play MQA files.  If you are playing other hi res files, set the output to match the source file.

Foobar volume should be at max.  Windows volume should be disconnected (if you are using the line out from the E2 to your amplifier).

Control the volume at the amplifier.

For remote volume control:
On my iMac (running Windows), I can use the headphone out on the E2 to my amp, and use an Apple remote to change the volume going through the amplifier if I am too lazy to get out of my chair.

May 2, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #8,268 of 13,139
  Well usually my Flacs are 24 bits/ 44.1 kHz at best, I can't always find 24, I sometimes have to choose 16.
Meridian is capable of reproducing files of 24-bit/192kHz and I find that the right sound volume for me is around -20 - -10 dB.
The weird thing is that I think I'm hearing artifacts when meridian is maxed out and I'm playing with the amps volume which as I understand shouldn't happen.
I can't think of any other volume combo to try, maybe my gear is very particular when it comes to volume (or even faulty?).

IF you only hear artifacts when you are adjusting the volume, this is most likely a dirty volume control pot.  Try moving it around (with the music off) and if it is scratchy this is the problem. 

May 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #8,273 of 13,139
  Is it that mayor change make me to sell these and buy new ones?

For me the change was great enough...if you can sell at a good price i would. Just make sure you get one of the recently manufactured ones. I happened to have my drivers replaced when they were malfunctioning 
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #8,274 of 13,139
  My plot is like this. I wonder why the bass is that weak in region below 50hz... It is Lcd2 razor 2015.

This is apparently due to a change in the driver material...the new Fazors since November of last year have corrected this for the most part.

This is mine:  mfg. date 11/15

May 5, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #8,275 of 13,139

This is mine:  mfg. date 11/15

This is their standard graph for all fazors. They no longer measure driver individually. In reality you have no idea of your actual FR.

May 5, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #8,276 of 13,139
For me the change was great enough...if you can sell at a good price i would. Just make sure you get one of the recently manufactured ones. I happened to have my drivers replaced when they were malfunctioning :D

Or just contact their support. For $250 you can get the new drivers installed.

May 5, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #8,277 of 13,139

This is their standard graph for all fazors. They no longer measure driver individually. In reality you have no idea of your actual FR.

What makes you say that? I still see a serial number, and Audeze hasn't said anything to the contrary AFAIK. Could you clarify your source?

May 5, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #8,278 of 13,139
  What makes you say that? I still see a serial number, and Audeze hasn't said anything to the contrary AFAIK. Could you clarify your source?

Audeze customer support. The reason was that certain folks insisted opening every single box at dealer in order to find "the one" correct FR curve...you can imagine the trouble that caused Audeze. I agree with their practice, by the way.

May 5, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #8,279 of 13,139

Audeze customer support. The reason was that certain folks insisted opening every single box at dealer in order to find "the one" correct FR curve...you can imagine the trouble that caused Audeze. I agree with their practice, by the way.

Can't imagine the dealer letting customers opening up every single box to look at the FR graph, it would mean that the dealer would have to sell as open-box item, and the next person would like a discount if its open box.

May 5, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #8,280 of 13,139
Ascend Acoustics sends an FR graph with every speaker, not just the pair, but each individual speaker, that they sell. They don't even use nearly as much smoothing as Audeze either. It was nice knowing that the QC on my towers was so thorough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back