Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #8,281 of 13,132
  Can't imagine the dealer letting customers opening up every single box to look at the FR graph, it would mean that the dealer would have to sell as open-box item, and the next person would like a discount if its open box.

In one week, I've heard someone claim a USB cable improved their sound, and that DAP firmware ruined their sound. People going through boxes to look at a FR graph doesn't shock me one but.

Or, Audeze can post the ******** graphs online, so you could look it up with a QR code.

May 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #8,282 of 13,132

In one week, I've heard someone claim a USB cable improved their sound, and that DAP firmware ruined their sound. People going through boxes to look at a FR graph doesn't shock me one but.

Or, Audeze can post the ******** graphs online, so you could look it up with a QR code.

Lots of snake oil for sale out there
rolleyes.gif
, there was a poster in another thread that talked to a DAC designer and was told that a USB cable is like a HDMI cable, either it works or not, and if you hear sonic differences then he has a stock that has a 50% ROI that he wants to sell.

DAP firmware changing the sound is possible if the design uses digital filters that can be adjusted by updating the firmware.

May 5, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #8,283 of 13,132
  DAP firmware changing the sound is possible if the design uses digital filters that can be adjusted by updating the firmware.

It was one of these "the soundstage is smaller, the mids are cloudy" jobs. Ever notice people claim new software only ruins things?

Back on topic, I'm having a blast jumping between my LCD-2.2 and HE-500. I have an HE-560 on the way, and one must fall. Or mustn't it?

May 5, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #8,284 of 13,132
It was one of these "the soundstage is smaller, the mids are cloudy" jobs. Ever notice people claim new software only ruins things?

Back on topic, I'm having a blast jumping between my LCD-2.2 and HE-500. I have an HE-560 on the way, and one must fall. Or mustn't it?

I never heard a difference between firmware on my FiiO X5 or Astell&Kern AK120ii.

But firmware did change the sonics on the Cayin N5 and FiiO X7. What I would call serious changes. I went through four updates while I tested the X7. Only one of them made an audible difference, lowering the dynamics and making it sound rather dull. Then the next update made it sound great again. The N5 grew warmer with the one update I saw during my time with it.

May 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #8,285 of 13,132

Only heard a HE-500 once and it was really brief and it was when I first started listening to headphones, don't remember much about their sound signature.  I love my LCD-2 and HE-560 so curious to see which falls? if any?

May 5, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #8,286 of 13,132

What's really funny is that people in iBasso threads regularly debate about what FW sounds the best and what changes they hear, and sometimes they say the most insane changes are taking place. Well, I never hear a single change, my DX80 just sounds great as a portable player. iBasso has said, in the thread, a bunch of times, that they do not change the sound with FW updates and never have and don't aim to. They do not adjust any digital filters, but people are still going crazy over these supposed changes.

May 5, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #8,287 of 13,132
It just drives me crazy that there's no quantifying these digital changes. How hard would it be for someone to have a high-quality pink noise sweep and chart the responses between firmware? I almost think people deliberately avoid this, because it'll prove they're crazy.

I'm relatively new to the hobby, and have hit it hard. It's given me a lot of joy, but it's also given me some of the biggest head-scratching, facepalming moments in recent memory.

May 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8,289 of 13,132
May 5, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #8,291 of 13,132

Oh, so if I wanted, I could have my 2011 version updated for only $250?

Yep, pretty sure that is the case. You have to pay shipping as well.

May 5, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #8,293 of 13,132
I am debating between these and the LCD-3. I like country, classic rock, modern pop and pop from the 80's. I also like Alison Krauss.

I have a Questyle QP1R as my source along with the computer and stereo.

The JH Angie is the only item I currently have of which to listen to music.

Any thoughts on which is a good match?

May 5, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #8,295 of 13,132
I am debating between these and the LCD-3. I like country, classic rock, modern pop and pop from the 80's. I also like Alison Krauss.

I have a Questyle QP1R as my source along with the computer and stereo.

The JH Angie is the only item I currently have of which to listen to music.

Any thoughts on which is a good match?

The LCD-2 has a lot in common with Angie, and sounds especially luscious on classic rock. I'm listening to Led Zeppelin right now, and once again the Audeze is making love to my ears with its sweet, sweet tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back