Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #6,406 of 13,134
If the HD600 sounds ANYTHING like the HD650 (and I think they share a LOT of similarities), then it beats the LCD-2 hands down for musicality. imo.
:cool:

Too funny!,

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #6,407 of 13,134
Aug 11, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #6,408 of 13,134
I apologize for all the other Canadians. :)

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #6,410 of 13,134

Gotta watch out for that tribal mentality. Haven't heard a dynamic headphone yet (besides a modded HD800) that gives me the pleasurable midrange, non-rolled off bass, or natural imaging like the best planars I have heard. People keep hyping the HD6xx like its the god of all headphones when I would disagree. Both models are musical and I do think it has a reference sound but it's missing something and that is why it is just a complimentary headphone as well as the DT880 I also own.

I couldn't agree more, I always felt that something was missing/lacking with my HD600 and that void has been filled with the Audeze's. With that said there are songs where I feel that the LCD'2's are somewhat lacking as well which I guess is why you would like different cans :)

Mines lasted over three years now.

I apologize for all the other Canadians.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hahaha this killed me :D 

If the honeymoon phase is anything like the HD600 period I pretty much instantly heard what I liked and disliked and that impression pretty much stayed the same for 2 years.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6,411 of 13,134
I just bought some new lambskin Audeze-pads for my rev 2.1 LCDs. The old ones were those much more shallow ones. Wow, that bass just came alive! These are also much more comfortable, nice.

I didn't really have too much pressure with the old ones, they just took a while to sit comfortably on your head, maybe a minute or two. Even then they didn't cover the ears very well - there was always this huge gap below my ear. This is how the pads should have been from the beginning.

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,412 of 13,134
So, anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to the LCD series?  I love the sound, but the discomfort has reached critical status.  I tried out the Hifiman HE-560s.  I really liked them, other than the static popping/crackling noise that I just could not get rid of.  I ended up returning them.  I'd like to keep my budget at or under $1k.

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #6,413 of 13,134
  So, anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to the LCD series?  I love the sound, but the discomfort has reached critical status.  I tried out the Hifiman HE-560s.  I really liked them, other than the static popping/crackling noise that I just could not get rid of.  I ended up returning them.  I'd like to keep my budget at or under $1k.

Do you still have LCD's? I suggest you try out @Lohb's suspension strap. It greatly improves the comfort. I don't see my LCD-2 as discomfortable at all anymore.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766559/planar-pad-for-audeze-hifiman-fostex-t50-rp-grado-ps1000

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #6,414 of 13,134

That's really odd about the HE560, perhaps give them another go? Crackles and pops must have just been that unit.

I quite liked the HE560 and its comfort was much better than the LCD2. I've found that it takes a bit to figure out the right setting for the rods on the Audeze, but even then they will have a bit of clamp. I've grown accustomed to them, and they are pretty comfy now.

HD650 is another recommendation as are the Fidelio X2. Both really comfortable though the HD650 you may need to flex the metal part of the band a bit to loosen it up. both aren't at the technical level of the LCD2 but are very good.

i was surprised with the comfort of the TH900 and the sound was very good too, though I preferred the sound and price of the LCD2. Closed headphones but very good.

Different tonal signature but HD800 are awesome and extremely comfortable.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #6,416 of 13,134
Hello,

I´m undecided between he 500 and lcd 2 and maybie hd 800 because i´m used to senns sound.
Listen mostly to electronic, house,  modern genres, and not much jazz or classic.
Like the hd 650 and they this can is the natural path to compliment them.
Dont get me wrong, i want to keep the hd 650, they scale well and sound great.
Just want more of the same, euphonic sound, musicality and more extended bass.
What version of lcd 2 should i take? suppose the fazor one is the more improved one. 
Is it the closest to the lcd 3?
Heard about imaging and treble issues on older versions. An the 58 flagships battle tread talks about it to.
The lcd 3 is a bit expensive even used, even though i think they are the most suited can for me as far i read here.
Dont have ways to test hps of this quality nearby. This is really especial gear what we are dealing mosty on head-fi.
Not that mainstream and easy to find.
Hope somebody could help.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #6,417 of 13,134
Hi Everyone,

It appears my Audeze LCD2 purchased in November 2013 died. The right side driver is dead. I doubled checked everything down the chain to make sure it wasn't something else. The most obvious test was swapping the R/L cables. It started out with the right channel loosing a bit of volume and thereafter a small pop sound. The whole ordeal took less than a minute. I will admit, I used them daily, but for almost 1000 bucks these don't last long. Next up is digging up the receipt and seeing about that warranty...if there is any left...

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #6,418 of 13,134
  Hello,

I´m undecided between he 500 and lcd 2 and maybie hd 800 because i´m used to senns sound.
Listen mostly to electronic, house,  modern genres, and not much jazz or classic.
Like the hd 650 and they this can is the natural path to compliment them.
Dont get me wrong, i want to keep the hd 650, they scale well and sound great.
Just want more of the same, euphonic sound, musicality and more extended bass.
What version of lcd 2 should i take? suppose the fazor one is the more improved one. 
Is it the closest to the lcd 3?
Heard about imaging and treble issues on older versions. An the 58 flagships battle tread talks about it to.
The lcd 3 is a bit expensive even used, even though i think they are the most suited can for me as far i read here.
Dont have ways to test hps of this quality nearby. This is really especial gear what we are dealing mosty on head-fi.
Not that mainstream and easy to find.
Hope somebody could help.

Thanks

Based on your genres (no classical), I would do LCD-2 prefazor. It's a fab HP with rich mids, full bass, and treble that won't hurt. Imaging is very good.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #6,419 of 13,134
  Thought lcd 2 where euphonic, i guess they are, but curious why you say that?

It's a comparative statement. LCD-2 prefaz was fabulous, but once I heard the 560, LCD-2 couldn't stay around (its weight...). 650 is just pure comfort and cashmere for my eardrums. Despite its bass-centric sound. I don't find LCD-2 "euphonic", I found it quite transparent. Not neutral. 650 is euphonic, but that is not a bad thing -- it's very forgiving of badly-recorded tracks, like rock of the '70s, etc. Just my opinions, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back