Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #6,422 of 13,132
How are the 2.1's powered with a modern av receiver. Im running a yamaha 475 right now for my desktop and would like it to pull headphone duties for the lcd.

Try it out if you have the LCD in house. My gut feeling is that you might lose quite a bit of the bass and imaging. I have a Sony receiver from 1996, and the LCD 2.2 sounded very anemic on the Sony's HP jack. :mad:

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #6,423 of 13,132
Try it out if you have the LCD in house. My gut feeling is that you might lose quite a bit of the bass and imaging. I have a Sony receiver from 1996, and the LCD 2.2 sounded very anemic on the Sony's HP jack.
mad.gif

Speaker taps await... !

Check what watts output they would be to 2.2s ohms on taps. Old school receivers usually kick these and He-6 into life.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #6,424 of 13,132
I want to try ear pad swapping & see if they improve the sound.
Without going through the entire thread, can someone sum up what the ear pads change sound-wise for the LCD-2

• LCD Leather-Free Microsuede
  • LCD Lambskin leather
  • HIFIMAN  FocusPad
  • MrSpeakers Alpha Pads genuine lamb-leather
  • Brainwavz HM5 earpads

Anyone try any of them?

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #6,425 of 13,132
I have a pair of LCD-2, purchased from the previous Hong Kong distributor "Kingsound Audio" on Jan 2013. My LCD-2 suddenly stopped working, no sound coming from the right side unit.

As I know Audenze provides 3-year warranty and the distributorship of Hong Kong was handed over to "ECT Eichi Technology", I gave a call to the new Hong Kong distributor "ECT" for the repairing issue. They said my headphones were not purchased from their authorized retailer, so my headphones are not their "authorized product". They will charge me full repairing fee and parts fee if I take my headphones to them for repairing. (In fact, "Kingsound Audio" was distributor when I purchased my LCD-2 on Jan 2013, not "ECT")

So, I sent email to Audeze's customer service centre (support@audeze.com), to ask for their advice. At first, they replied me in positive way: 

"I am sorry to hear you are having this issue with your LCD-2 headphones! What is the Serial Number of your unit? We can send the drivers at no cost to ECT and they would charge you for labor. Or you can send them in to us for inspection/repair."

I sent my serial number to Audeze for the arrangement and they replied:

"Thank you for the Serial number. Because your headphones' warranty period has elapsed, the cost for repair is $250 plus shipping both ways. It might be more beneficial to you to save on shipping costs and have ECT charge you for repair…."

The point is "my warranty has expired?". I asked them why and attached a captured photo of my invoice. Audeze replied: 

"Your headphones are no longer covered by the warranty period, they are past the 3 year covered period. The warranty period starts from the date of manufacture of the headphones. If they were within the warranty period, repair would be covered by the warranty and there would be no cost to you. After the warranty period, there is an associated cost, plus shipping cost both ways. But, as I said, let me see what we can do for you and I'll get back to you shortly."

I found that from their website:

"All LCD-3 and LCD-2 headphones purchased from Audeze directly or through any of our dealers will retroactively have a 3-year warranty from the date of purchase. Normal wear and tear of the product are not covered. All other natural materials and parts including accessories are covered under a 1-year warranty."

I shocked they charged the policy of warranty by case! 

I am OK with US$250 for the replacement of drivers if the warranty was expired, but in fact, the headphones were purchased on Jan 27, 2013, the expiry day should be Jan 27, 2016 supposedly/in common sense.

Audeze is a famous headphone manufacturer, I really can't believe they made use of excuse to make customer suffering US$250. I'm frustrated and helpless, but I am still waiting for the further instructions from Auzede. I just want to solve the problem reasonably.

I also found this from the thread "No Shame on Audeze!!! Buyer needn't beware."

Actually it's a 3-Year Warranty from the date of purchase rather than the date of manufacture. 
Thanks,
Audeze

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #6,427 of 13,132
I really love audeze headphones a their sound signature. I even have their rev1 and rev2f lcd2. But these driver failure incidents are really scaring the heck out of me to a point that I seldom use them nowadays thinking that if I don't overuse them it will last longer with me. I don't know the real census of this driver malfunction but so far on this site alone I hear several complaints already.

Here's to wishing the rest of us got a more durable and long lasting drivers. They're not cheap.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #6,428 of 13,132
I really love audeze headphones a their sound signature. I even have their rev1 and rev2f lcd2. But these driver failure incidents are really scaring the heck out of me to a point that I seldom use them nowadays thinking that if I don't overuse them it will last longer with me. I don't know the real census of this driver malfunction but so far on this site alone I hear several complaints already.

Here's to wishing the rest of us got a more durable and long lasting drivers. They're not cheap.

I've been considering selling mine and getting an Oppo or Hifiman headphone because of this. I don't want to go through sending them back again.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #6,429 of 13,132
  KC7384, We are looking into the issue and will get back to you tomorrow. Since we changed distributors, there is some confusion. 

If I read that correctly, KC7384 received the warranty information from Audeze Support.  How would a distributor change affect Audeze Customer Support and how you respect your warranty?

What really bothers me are the people that contacted Audeze Support and received that incorrect warranty information.  Not knowing any better, they likely paid out the $250 to have their headphones repaired when they were in fact still under warranty.  I'm interested in your feedback regarding that.

Personally, I think you owe it to your customers to review your past repair claims and refund the money to those people that may have been incorrectly charged for repairs when their headphones were still under warranty.

You should be able to trust a company to know their policy and not have to research it or take to the public forums to get a respectable resolution.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #6,430 of 13,132
I had to send my Hifiman's back because of driver issues. I hope NOTHING ever happens that I have to send my Audeze in for repair.. 
BTW, Isn't MOST of the driver issues with the 2.1 pre-fazor's and not the current fazor model????

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #6,432 of 13,132
Mine and several of the other driver failures that I've seen have been fazor model failures. I've also seen 2.1 failures as well. I think the problem is with the entire line.

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #6,433 of 13,132
Is there a particular version that these driver failures are happening on? I just purchased a pair of 2.1 and i'm not going to be happy if i have to spend another 250$ if it fails. At that, i should have just bought a brand new pair.

There's a pretty big thread regarding the failures and most of them are 3Fs. Sad kinda, they were pretty much my ideal headphones.

I have a pair of 2.2 no fazors and I hope to God they last.

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #6,435 of 13,132
  It seems Hifiman planars have failures too......
I remember my Apogee Stage Home Planars had issues...buzzing,ect.
Is it somewhat common with this type of driver???

Yeah I forgot about the Hifiman failures, will stay away from them too.

I have Magnepan Tympani 1D speakers that were made in 1977, purchased by my Dad, and sat in an attic for probably 25 years. I'm running them today and they sound totally amazing. They blow me away all the time. So no, I don' think it's common with this type of driver since Magnepan has been doing it for decades with almost zero problems that I have found. I can't think of a single time where someone blew up their Maggies, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back