Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #5,851 of 13,139

Do you still have the D7000 to compare with?

I do indeed. The D7000s are more of a "fun" headphone. V-shaped, sparkly extended treble, slamming bass, easy to drive. The LCD-2 bass is far more refined, more separation across the board, more neutral and detailed. I do miss the sparkly treble a little with LCD-2s, but I'd rather have accuracy than exaggeration.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #5,852 of 13,139
  I used sine sweeps and tones found online and generated in Audacity to approximately balance the volume from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with the 31-band Graphic EQ plugin for foobar2000. I eventually remade the EQ with the parametric EasyQ plugin to better balance out a thin dip and peak at 10 and 12.5 kHz, then soon after remade it again in Equalizer APO so I could apply it to my whole PC instead of just foobar.

Can't speak for the headband, but the vegan pads are just as soft and squishy. They don't stick to my face like the leather, and they don't get as hot. I think they'd be worth getting for a Californian.

You went for ruler flat, but have you heard any cans with the Harmon Kardon curve ? I liked the SQ on HP50 (follows HK curve ) but they did not have the micro-detail of planars and the external design was wonky.Is it 'good' to transpose a speaker monitor style to cans when they way they interact with the ear is different ?
I'm still trying to get time to read up on Tyll's articles on HK curves...

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #5,853 of 13,139

I do indeed. The D7000s are more of a "fun" headphone. V-shaped, sparkly extended treble, slamming bass, easy to drive. The LCD-2 bass is far more refined, more separation across the board, more neutral and detailed. I do miss the sparkly treble a little with LCD-2s, but I'd rather have accuracy than exaggeration.

I recently heard a LCD 2 Fazor and quite liked them. Not as much as my 560 mind you, but certainly liked the LCD very much and may even get one this year. I owned a D7000 about a year ago, and I really enjoyed a great deal of what they could do, but I felt the bass wasn't quite as refined and or was too prominent, and that instrument separation was not to the standard I hoped for. I am waiting for some Sony Z7s to come in. I know they won't be accurate, but I'm hoping they will be fun and engaging with a decent amount of musical accuracy. I think for the money the LCD 2 is high on my purchase list. I just wish they shipped with an XLR termination.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #5,854 of 13,139
  I used sine sweeps and tones found online and generated in Audacity to approximately balance the volume from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with the 31-band Graphic EQ plugin for foobar2000. I eventually remade the EQ with the parametric EasyQ plugin to better balance out a thin dip and peak at 10 and 12.5 kHz, then soon after remade it again in Equalizer APO so I could apply it to my whole PC instead of just foobar.

Some great info, thanks! Can you give me some more info on Equalizer APO and maybe post a screen grab of your configuration? It'd be nice to EQ all the sound from my computer, other than just foobar.

I'm glad everyone is giving a thumbs up for vegan pads, I was just hoping the non-leather pads were not as stiff as the HE-500 variety.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #5,855 of 13,139

You went for ruler flat, but have you heard any cans with the Harmon Kardon curve ? I liked the SQ on HP50 (follows HK curve ) but they did not have the micro-detail of planars and the external design was wonky.Is it 'good' to transpose a speaker monitor style to cans when they way they interact with the ear is different ?
I'm still trying to get time to read up on Tyll's articles on HK curves...

Compensation curves like the Harman one are a way to match measurements up to what we hear. They're designed to emulate the effects a person's outer ear and body have on natural sound waves (or sound waves from speakers) that headphones bypass.

What I did is basically uncover my own personal compensation curve. It's the same basic premise.

Some great info, thanks! Can you give me some more info on Equalizer APO and maybe post a screen grab of your configuration? It'd be nice to EQ all the sound from my computer, other than just foobar.

I'm glad everyone is giving a thumbs up for vegan pads, I was just hoping the non-leather pads were not as stiff as the HE-500 variety.

Equalizer APO is a parametric EQ that ties right into your sound card drivers. Problem is, it doesn't have a graphical UI so it's very hard to use. You can get around that like I did by using a parametric EQ with a GUI to build the EQ, then figure out the Q values and put them into Equalizer APO's config file. Much easier though is to use Peace, an addon graphic EQ GUI for Equalizer APO with a lot of customizations.

Here's what my config file looks like if you're curious. I don't recommend using it because you don't have my headphones or my ears.
Preamp: -6 dB
Filter  1: ON  PK       Fc    20,0 Hz  Gain   2,5 dB  Q  0,40
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc   1.000 Hz  Gain  -1.5 dB  Q  0,20
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc   1.600 Hz  Gain   6,0 dB  Q  1,80
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc   4.000 Hz  Gain   6,0 dB  Q  3,00   
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc   5.500 Hz  Gain  -8,5 dB  Q  1,40
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc  10.000 Hz  Gain  10,0 dB  Q  1,40
Filter  7: ON  PK       Fc  12.500 Hz  Gain -11,0 dB  Q  5,00

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #5,856 of 13,139
Thanks Headinjury.
Does anyone know if the latest version ribbon cables are fairly flexible at 20AWG ?

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #5,857 of 13,139
I recently heard a LCD 2 Fazor and quite liked them. Not as much as my 560 mind you, but certainly liked the LCD very much and may even get one this year. I owned a D7000 about a year ago, and I really enjoyed a great deal of what they could do, but I felt the bass wasn't quite as refined and or was too prominent, and that instrument separation was not to the standard I hoped for. I am waiting for some Sony Z7s to come in. I know they won't be accurate, but I'm hoping they will be fun and engaging with a decent amount of musical accuracy. I think for the money the LCD 2 is high on my purchase list. I just wish they shipped with an XLR termination.

Well, I'm officially jumping into this thread now, seeing as I've had the LCD-2 for a while.

I think modded HE-560 > LCD-3 w/ fazor, and by extension, that means LCD-2 w/ fazor as well. I don't know what's with fazor, but they make the treble a bit too confused sounding. Dry, tizzy, and somewhat muddy...? It may also be the new diaphragm material that they use with the new fazor model. Now... I know this goes against the majority of opinions here, but... that's my experience.

So if you're still on the fence, I'd say... just mod that HE-560 already.
wink.gif

Or you can also get an LCD-2 non-fazor and mod it. It's truly glorious after some mods.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #5,858 of 13,139

Or you can also get an LCD-2 non-fazor and mod it. It's truly glorious after some mods.

DIY Fazor and dust filter or full grill removal ?

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #5,860 of 13,139
  DIY Fazor and dust filter or full grill removal ?

I can only say... much more elaborate than that. Grill intact, and front damping, with some significant amount of mass damping.

Here's an old measurement graph I made of the stock frequency response versus modded:

Some details have been shared elsewhere, so you can look up my username and "LCD-2 mod" on Google for some information. I'm still testing front damping, so the old graph may not apply to new scheme and so on...

And yeah, it does sound like a much brighter LCD-2, but yet it's not harsh or piercing.

I'll have it at this year's CanJam, so folks in attendance can check it out. That'll also serve as the ultimate survey for me... to see if the current front damping scheme works well. If it does, then I'll post the rest of the mod.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #5,861 of 13,139
Compensation curves like the Harman one are a way to match measurements up to what we hear. They're designed to emulate the effects a person's outer ear and body have on natural sound waves (or sound waves from speakers) that headphones bypass.

What I did is basically uncover my own personal compensation curve. It's the same basic premise.

Equalizer APO is a parametric EQ that ties right into your sound card drivers. Problem is, it doesn't have a graphical UI so it's very hard to use. You can get around that like I did by using a parametric EQ with a GUI to build the EQ, then figure out the Q values and put them into Equalizer APO's config file. Much easier though is to use Peace, an addon graphic EQ GUI for Equalizer APO with a lot of customizations.

Here's what my config file looks like if you're curious. I don't recommend using it because you don't have my headphones or my ears.
Do the q values affect the width of the effect? Also do you ever mess with filter types?

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,862 of 13,139
Do the q values affect the width of the effect? Also do you ever mess with filter types?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, and I'm sure the intended member will respond but yes, the Q values determine which adjacent frequencies are impacted. For me I avoid canned filters unless you really know the filters full parameters and how it will interact with your gear. I would always opt to adjust myself with a parametric EQ and if it is something that is universal for my rig, like when I had a low frequency cut for my D7000, I saved it and applied it when I wanted it. I also had a different setting saved for high frequency attenuation for the D7000. A parametric EQ is a fantastic tool and well worth getting to know. I also only do cuts to frequencies as I have never been pleased with a boost, but that is just me.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #5,863 of 13,139
  Thanks Headinjury.
Does anyone know if the latest version ribbon cables are fairly flexible at 20AWG ?

The latest ribbon cable is very flexible.  In fact, I think it's rubbish.  Not in sound quality, but build quality.  It feels like it will fail in a short time period, so I went with an aftermarket.  If you're interested, looking into Charleston Cable Company.  Chris over there assembles excellent cables for modest prices.  I can tell no sound differences, but it's indestructible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back