Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #5,821 of 13,139
It's something I debated ad nauseum with a few guys after the Fazor was implemented.

Also, did you get my PM about filters? I think it never went through, I'll post the info publicly here tomorrow regardless. Lmk.

Care to give us the gist of it? I no longer remember (i.e., getting popcorn). :D

Thanks for your input. I actually don't know if it's clipping or not. It doesn't sound off, the only thing is I have the volume at 12 o'clock to get it to my normal listening volume. I suppose if I knew the input sensitivity on the amp and output voltage of the DAC I could figure out when it's producing its full power output. Audeze recommends 1-4 watts so that's why I'm thinking of making the switch. The a1 is rated to put out around 150-200 mW I believe. It was also designed with the t1 in mind which is a 600 ohm headphone.

Wondering why Audeze would recommend "1-4 watts". Sensitivity and impedance ratings clearly doesn't justify/need this. Jodgy4 and Head Injury?

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #5,822 of 13,139
It's something I debated ad nauseum with a few guys after the Fazor was implemented.

Also, did you get my PM about filters? I think it never went through, I'll post the info publicly here tomorrow regardless. Lmk.
yeah I did. Thank you. Still haven't looked at all of them yet

I stopped reading because I just wanted to focus on listening.

Going to take a break from head-fi for a little. Coming here makes it harder to enjoy listening to music sometimes

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #5,823 of 13,139
Care to give us the gist of it? I no longer remember (i.e., getting popcorn).
biggrin.gif

Wondering why Audeze would recommend "1-4 watts". Sensitivity and impedance ratings clearly doesn't justify/need this. Jodgy4 and Head Injury?

Hi :D.

Those numbers were for the older, less sensitive numbers, and 1W was a pretty solid recommendation for ~120 (or more?) dB peaks on all cans... not sure why they extended the range all the way to 4W.

With the Fazor tech on the 2/3, you only needed ~half that power (0.5-2W) due to better efficiency (~3dB), but they never changed it. Now, they don't even measure anything the same... so who knows. I'd say a full Watt has got to be enough for any of them these days, haha.

I've found that extra power can help, but only because I have some quiet sources. I'd love to hear an Audeze rep chime in on the whole issue
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #5,824 of 13,139
Hi :D.

Those numbers were for the older, less sensitive numbers, and 1W was a pretty solid recommendation for ~120 (or more?) dB peaks on all cans... not sure why they extended the range all the way to 4W.

With the Fazor tech on the 2/3, you only needed ~half that power (0.5-2W) due to better efficiency (~3dB), but they never changed it. Now, they don't even measure anything the same... so who knows. I'd say a full Watt has got to be enough for any of them these days, haha.

I've found that extra power can help, but only because I have some quiet sources. I'd love to hear an Audeze rep chime in on the whole issue :confused_face_2: .

My line of thinking has always been max SPL. Even with only about 170mW on tap, I should be able to hit around 115-118dB on my LCD-2s which by all means is plenty loud. However, then comes into play the dynamics of music which, in a given moment could ask for much more power, if only for a matter of milliseconds. So then would you say it's imperative I buy an amplifier with a higher wattage if only to accommodate for dynamics and headroom to prevent clipping?

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #5,826 of 13,139
My line of thinking has always been max SPL. Even with only about 170mW on tap, I should be able to hit around 115-118dB on my LCD-2s which by all means is plenty loud. However, then comes into play the dynamics of music which, in a given moment could ask for much more power, if only for a matter of milliseconds. So then would you say it's imperative I buy an amplifier with a higher wattage if only to accommodate for dynamics and headroom to prevent clipping?

No, because those measurements are all done for peaks. A common example would be, if you have a very dynamic track like an orchestral piece with peaks of 30dB above the average listening level, and your average listening level is a pretty darn loud 80dB, then you need to hit peaks of 110dB (NwAvGuy recommends this, 120 is to be really safe). So you do power calculations to reach peaks of 110, and you're good to go for just about anything at your listening levels :D.

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #5,827 of 13,139
So I'm not a big classical fan, but I decided to give some classical stuff a listen on my LCD-2s today. Holy ****... it's amazing. Wonderful sound stage and overall the feeling is amazing. Even if you're not a classical fan (like me), I'd suggest everyone who owns LCD-2s give it a try. Absolutely awesome

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #5,828 of 13,139
So I'm not a big classical fan, but I decided to give some classical stuff a listen on my LCD-2s today. Holy ****... it's amazing. Wonderful sound stage and overall the feeling is amazing. Even if you're not a classical fan (like me), I'd suggest everyone who owns LCD-2s give it a try. Absolutely awesome

Yup. If you're gonna shell out for some headphones in this price or above you should at least experience the more sophisticated, emotional, and complex audio experiences available.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #5,829 of 13,139
No, because those measurements are all done for peaks. A common example would be, if you have a very dynamic track like an orchestral piece with peaks of 30dB above the average listening level, and your average listening level is a pretty darn loud 80dB, then you need to hit peaks of 110dB (NwAvGuy recommends this, 120 is to be really safe). So you do power calculations to reach peaks of 110, and you're good to go for just about anything at your listening levels :D.

Thanks. I am going to stick with my a1 then as I quite like the combination.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #5,831 of 13,139
  Anyone know what they charge to ''upgrade'' LCD-2's to the latest rev?

I think it was pretty much the cost of new drivers...

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #5,832 of 13,139

Even their own new Deckard amp is not that powerful...

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #5,833 of 13,139

Even their own new Deckard amp is not that powerful...

Actually, they upped the power of the amp after some testing to 4W at 20 ohms. So that should be 4W for the X/XC, ~1.15W for the 2, and 0.730W for the 3. Close enough.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,834 of 13,139
Yup. If you're gonna shell out for some headphones in this price or above you should at least experience the more sophisticated, emotional, and complex audio experiences available.

Yes, but a great deal of the library is not well recorded, and poorly recorded classical music is just as unenjoyable as poorly recorded pop music. It can be extremely expensive to try and learn what classical recordings are good. A poorly recorded orchestra can be extremely unpleasant, bombastic passages with challenging instruments are no less risk prone than anything. My wife plays violin and is quite good, but even so that instrument can be challenging at points so throw in timpani, horn sections and poor mastering and you have sonic pain regardless of the music. I have been daunted into inaction on this front for years now as I just don't want to waste my money. At a recent meet a member calls me over saying so you want to hear well recorded classical music, well listen to this. It turns out to be a recording from the 60s where the hiss from the recording was as loud as the music, unlistenable and yet this classical music enthusiast considered it to be an exemplar of good classical recording? Simply being sophisticated does not mean the music is innately better (I know that you didn't mean to imply this).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back