Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5,836 of 13,132
what are examples of well recorded classical music?

I'm curious as well, and I guess it depends on what style of classical most appeals to you. For me, I don't really like pieces with large horn sections. I find this type of piece (depending on the piece of course) fatiguing and over-stimulating. I prefer small romantic pieces featuring woodwinds and strings. I think that a great deal of this music is written for large hall performances and I don't think having speakers strapped to your head is always an equivalent experience. It probably doesn't help that I listen at rather loud playback volumes and a very loud passage quickly can become a sonic wall of brass and peaks that overpower my brains ability to make sense of it. Now sitting in large amphitheater where the sound has a chance to spread out would likely feel completely different. I say all of this as I feel if we are going to ask for suggestions (which I am) those who might respond need a sense of what it is that we like as classical music is a vast expanse of works spanning many styles. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #5,837 of 13,132
what are examples of well recorded classical music?

as an example, I really like "Il Postino" from the City of Prague Philharmonic

but that's just my tastes. give it a listen and see what you think. it's the theme song from a 1994 Italian film, "Il Postino: The Postman"

Here's a recording of it from someone else via youtube. Obviously I'd advise you to listen to it somewhere else with higher quality. Just a sample though:

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5,838 of 13,132
For those of you who have used a magni with your 2s, and upgraded, have you experienced midrange fatigue?

I'm trying to decide if its my headphones or my amp.

I'm consistently getting fatigued when listening. Normally I only listen around 65-75 db, although this has only been checked through phone apps. However I don't think I listen that loud in general. In public with my in ears many times I try to push the volume as low as possible, and only crank once in a while

I'm finding in really rich guitar rich/vocally loud passages I keep turning volume down.

Sometimes I'm bothered sometimes I'm not. I think my ear hygiene might have some factor because its less of a problem when I clean my ears out. However I used peroxide 2 days ago, and today I'm still getting fatigued

So I'm thinking maybe its too much midrange for me? Its strange because I never had such problems with ultra forward Grado 325is, or lush HD650.

I figure it may also be some type of suction issue with the pads (leather), but I'm not too confident in this as an explanation

I know magni isn't ideal, but I'm not sure if I should expect such a drastic reduction in fatigue simply by switching amps

Its a real mind**** considering the ultra smooth reputation of the LCD2

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #5,839 of 13,132
For those of you who have used a magni with your 2s, and upgraded, have you experienced midrange fatigue?

I'm trying to decide if its my headphones or my amp.

I'm consistently getting fatigued when listening. Normally I only listen around 65-75 db, although this has only been checked through phone apps. However I don't think I listen that loud in general. In public with my in ears many times I try to push the volume as low as possible, and only crank once in a while

I'm finding in really rich guitar rich/vocally loud passages I keep turning volume down.

Sometimes I'm bothered sometimes I'm not. I think my ear hygiene might have some factor because its less of a problem when I clean my ears out. However I used peroxide 2 days ago, and today I'm still getting fatigued

So I'm thinking maybe its too much midrange for me? Its strange because I never had such problems with ultra forward Grado 325is, or lush HD650.

I figure it may also be some type of suction issue with the pads (leather), but I'm not too confident in this as an explanation

I know magni isn't ideal, but I'm not sure if I should expect such a drastic reduction in fatigue simply by switching amps

Its a real mind**** considering the ultra smooth reputation of the LCD2
the LCD series headphones are very mid-centric. So yes, the sound signature can take some getting used to.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #5,840 of 13,132
Since soun in the way its received by the brain ,goes through a process known as psycho acoustic,try ti listen in different times of the day and at different moods,relaxed  etc  .When you listen and your mind is set up to detect defects or sound fatigue change are that you will have one!
On the other hand i do occasionally do get fatigue with different amp headphone combinations ,one is the sound of a set up ot needs some time to get used to it on the other hand is personal taste and second is basically nothing you can do.
Also don't mix quality with fatigue,a set up might sound superb but after a while it might give you a sense of disturbance,if you dont get used to it in sometime it means you should look for something that suits your ears better.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #5,841 of 13,132
  Since soun in the way its received by the brain ,goes through a process known as psycho acoustic,try ti listen in different times of the day and at different moods,relaxed  etc  .When you listen and your mind is set up to detect defects or sound fatigue change are that you will have one!
On the other hand i do occasionally do get fatigue with different amp headphone combinations ,one is the sound of a set up ot needs some time to get used to it on the other hand is personal taste and second is basically nothing you can do.
Also don't mix quality with fatigue,a set up might sound superb but after a while it might give you a sense of disturbance,if you dont get used to it in sometime it means you should look for something that suits your ears better.

Agree 100%.  Sometimes my mood makes the Sennheiser HD650 sound fatiguing. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #5,842 of 13,132
When you're busy=tired, tendency is to be less sensitive to treble, right? So sound sounds warmer? Serious question. Read this somewhere, but not sure IIRC or that's right.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #5,844 of 13,132
When you're busy=tired, tendency is to be less sensitive to treble, right? So sound sounds warmer? Serious question. Read this somewhere, but not sure IIRC or that's right.

I believe this is accurate, and certainly my experience suggests this is true. When your brain is fatigued all aspects of sensory perception suffer some acuity loss, at least that is my understanding.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,845 of 13,132
I'm a recent convert to LCD-2 Fazor, coming around to their refined sound after owning Denon 7000s and HE-500s.

Does anyone here use EQ with LCD-2s to balance the sound a little? If so, I'd like to know how others have approached it.

I wanted to achieve a sound that's completely flat neutral and had a good reference to A/B in my room calibrated studio monitors. I noticed that the LCD-2s were a little recessed in the upper mids (within the 2k-5k range) so a bump there helps vocals and certain instruments not sound "distant". My dac/amp is the Dangerous Music Source which is notorious for neutrality, so it's a good place to start.

My second question is are the vegan headband and pads as soft and squishy as the lambskin leather? The southern cali summer is around the corner and that leather will sure get hot.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #5,846 of 13,132
  I'm a recent convert to LCD-2 Fazor, coming around to their refined sound after owning Denon 7000s and HE-500s.

Does anyone here use EQ with LCD-2s to balance the sound a little? If so, I'd like to know how others have approached it.

I wanted to achieve a sound that's completely flat neutral and had a good reference to A/B in my room calibrated studio monitors. I noticed that the LCD-2s were a little recessed in the upper mids (within the 2k-5k range) so a bump there helps vocals and certain instruments not sound "distant". My dac/amp is the Dangerous Music Source which is notorious for neutrality, so it's a good place to start.

My second question is are the vegan headband and pads as soft and squishy as the lambskin leather? The southern cali summer is around the corner and that leather will sure get hot.

Vegan pads superb. I could not use leather/pleather ear contacts on any of my headphones due to humidity half the year. Regarding squishy, they must be softer than the leather as the material is super thin.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #5,847 of 13,132

I'm also in southern California (Riverside), and could not use leather in the summer.  I now have the non-leather pads and they are extremely comfortable.  They are as soft and squishy as the leather pads.  I don't think I can go back to leather pads, even if I move to cooler areas. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #5,848 of 13,132
Vegan pads are a must for a Texas summer :wink:. Much cooler than leather, you can really tell after just 5 minutes. I don't see me ever buying leather pads again! I've played with EQ, I like a lift from 3-6k I think for more hi hat presence, and a bit in the lower bass.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #5,849 of 13,132

Do you still have the D7000 to compare with?

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #5,850 of 13,132

I used sine sweeps and tones found online and generated in Audacity to approximately balance the volume from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with the 31-band Graphic EQ plugin for foobar2000. I eventually remade the EQ with the parametric EasyQ plugin to better balance out a thin dip and peak at 10 and 12.5 kHz, then soon after remade it again in Equalizer APO so I could apply it to my whole PC instead of just foobar.

Can't speak for the headband, but the vegan pads are just as soft and squishy. They don't stick to my face like the leather, and they don't get as hot. I think they'd be worth getting for a Californian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back