Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #3,932 of 13,154
Hello guys. Is LCD-3 harder to drive than LCD-2??
Does it need more power?
Also, can you use LCD-2 outside without an external amp?

As I posted earlier above, I recently demoed the LCD-2 against some other phones and was very surprised to find the latest Fazor versions could be driven from an IPhone 5s. Clearly not as good as on a good amp but surprisingly decent. IMO you still feel like you are listening to a high end can and it still sounds like an Audeze. But clearly worse in many respects than on a good set up. But I would listen to one in my bedroom off an IPad (my main setup is in the living room) and be happy if I owned one (I don't). LCD-X can be driven off a portable but not optimally.

Agree that LCD-3 is lifeless without an amp.

Wouldn't take any of these "outside" if you meant that literally.

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3,933 of 13,154
Yeah, my 2F is easier to drive than my Q701's and sounds stupid good out of anything. Adding an amp of course increases extension, lowers distortion, and can give better control... but the Fazor is a miracle for planars in the sensitivity department. I really want to try the 2F out of a Bottlehead S.E.X., has anybody here tried that particular combo? I remember people saying that it sounded great but it just clearly needed more power. More sensitive 2's might play real nice? I'm not a tube guy, but I love DIY Bottlehead stuff for the value, actual build, and b/c they're so fun to show off. Plus, it's an awesome company!

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3,934 of 13,154
As I posted earlier above, I recently demoed the LCD-2 against some other phones and was very surprised to find the latest Fazor versions could be driven from an IPhone 5s. Clearly not as good as on a good amp but surprisingly decent. IMO you still feel like you are listening to a high end can and it still sounds like an Audeze. But clearly worse in many respects than on a good set up. But I would listen to one in my bedroom off an IPad (my main setup is in the living room) and be happy if I owned one (I don't). LCD-X can be driven off a portable but not optimally.

Agree that LCD-3 is lifeless without an amp.

Wouldn't take any of these "outside" if you meant that literally.

Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

My LCD 2.2 (non fazor) are rated at 60 oHm with an efficiency of 91db/1mW.

The LCD 2F are rated at a higher impedance of 70 oHm but have a better efficiency of 93db/1mW.

I think the difference being heard on the 5S is the more cohesive sound waves aligned by the Fazors, but still no where near its potential. So while I agree that the Fazor would sound better on the 5S, I don't think it's from efficiency.

I wonder if the lower speed of the LCD-2 planer driver would hide/mask the difference between LCD-3 and LCD-2 driven from an iPhone 5S. As in, the iPhone 5S simply can't keep up to / drive the superior driver of the LCD-3 to its full (awesome) potential so therefore the LCD-3 sounds that much more hobbled (this, and the higher impedance of 110 oHm).

My LCD-XC's are much, much easier to drive (close to the LCD-X spec) and although the dynamics suffer greatly from the iPhone 5S's weak amp, they do sound comparatively better than the LCD-2 from the 5S.

All that said, I love the LCD-2.2 when driven properly.

Cheers :wink:

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #3,935 of 13,154
so, Audeze's portability rank goes:

#1  LCD-X
#2  LCD-2F
#3  LCD-XC
#4  LCD-3F

Has anyone tested LCD-X with a DAP?
I'm going to get an LCD-X soon. One of my friends told me LCD-X is too heavy and can hurt your neck.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,936 of 13,154
so, Audeze's portability rank goes:

#1  LCD-X
#2  LCD-2F
#3  LCD-XC
#4  LCD-3F

Has anyone tested LCD-X with a DAP?
I'm going to get an LCD-X soon. One of my friends told me LCD-X is too heavy and can hurt your neck.

Why would the portability of the LCD-2F be ranked above the XC for you?

The XC is far easier to drive with lower impedance and greater efficiency ratings than the LCD-2F. The XC and X are very close in spec so they should be equally easy to drive. I can play the XC straight out of the X5 without a problem, but adding the e12 improves dynamics.

With the LCD-2 I need the e12 on high gain minimum.

I've had no problems with my neck using the XC.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #3,937 of 13,154
And if you take your audeze cans outside you will share your music with every bodies around :wink:

except the XC I guess being closed

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #3,938 of 13,154
And if you take your audeze cans outside you will share your music with every bodies around
wink.gif

except the XC I guess being closed

You might actually share them with someone permanently if you flash those cans about outside !

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #3,940 of 13,154
Have you guys tried to use Audeze headphoness outside?
What do you feel about them? they're obviously a lot heavier than usual headphones.
Will I be okay if I wear LCD-3 or X or a long period time outside?

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,941 of 13,154
Using some lcd phones walking around would be very uncomfortable being big, with a long cable.

Beers and Lounge chair that's what it's all about :wink:

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,942 of 13,154
Outside in your yard? Or in public? lol Don't think I'd want to take them out too much attention and risk of getting damaged.  

Quote:
  Have you guys tried to use Audeze headphoness outside?
What do you feel about them? they're obviously a lot heavier than usual headphones.
Will I be okay if I wear LCD-3 or X or a long period time outside?

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #3,943 of 13,154
I can only really enjoy my LCD-2Fs in a quiet environment, as they are open backed and allow all ambient noise to interfere with my listening.  Suggest you audition the LCD-XC or other closed back phones.

Also agree with other comments about weight and vulnerability outdoors.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3,944 of 13,154
Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

My LCD 2.2 (non fazor) are rated at 60 oHm with an efficiency of 91db/1mW.

The LCD 2F are rated at a higher impedance of 70 oHm but have a better efficiency of 93db/1mW.

I think the difference being heard on the 5S is the more cohesive sound waves aligned by the Fazors, but still no where near its potential. So while I agree that the Fazor would sound better on the 5S, I don't think it's from efficiency.

I wonder if the lower speed of the LCD-2 planer driver would hide/mask the difference between LCD-3 and LCD-2 driven from an iPhone 5S. As in, the iPhone 5S simply can't keep up to / drive the superior driver of the LCD-3 to its full (awesome) potential so therefore the LCD-3 sounds that much more hobbled (this, and the higher impedance of 110 oHm).

My LCD-XC's are much, much easier to drive (close to the LCD-X spec) and although the dynamics suffer greatly from the iPhone 5S's weak amp, they do sound comparatively better than the LCD-2 from the 5S.

All that said, I love the LCD-2.2 when driven properly.

Cheers :wink:

That all sounds like good theory. I don't know the science part myself. Just giving my completely subjective experience. But your explanation sounds reasonable enough.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,945 of 13,154
Found the solution to my popping left driver.  Since I'm using a European made amp that runs on 230v ac I need to use a step up transformer and that was plugged into the same outlet as my computer, monitor, dac etc...  tried a different outlet with nothing else plugged into it and no popping after 3.5 hours of listening so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back