Audeze LCD-1
Oct 17, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #91 of 1,085
Yeah if you're liking the Hifiman tone then Audeze might not be your thing at all. The "big" LCDs are the polar opposite FR from the Hifiman stuff, on the warm and syrupy side instead.
in my book LCD2C i disliked it for its mids and highs, MX4 and LCD x were the only great audeze cans I had. Sine was total waste of money. Mobius nah its not that great as well, GX was really good for its price. I hope the mids and highs are nailed in the LCD1

the best can for 1500 usd is the denon ah-d9200 period, it trumps everything in that price range period from all companies. But for me now my focus is on iems as I do not have time to listen to headphones anymore, my iems Noble Khan and Encore brass edition with cayin n6ii is perfection.

Putting aside my sales intentions, the best ever headphones I heard are hifiman he1000 SE and HE1000 V1 and I loved V1 more than V2, then stax 007mk2 and Perun electrostat, but no time to enjoy all these that I have, so some are on sale to recover funds and invest more into portable iems and daps which i use most

I might have been interested in lcd1 due to is its small form factor compared to the ones I have, but being open defeats the purpose to buy it for on the go, and for that I have the denon and even the denon is big to use on the go. So this puts back denon to be the best closed back headphone for on the go, but still for me I prefer iems on the go than wearing such headphone on the go, Mobius on the go is a no no as well as its big and not that great sounding

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #92 of 1,085
As much as I would love to jump on the hype train for these, I will proceed with caution.

Both the EL-8 and SINE were beautiful designs but ended up being major disappointments in SQ and their various LCD-series headphones have been very hit or miss as well.

Hopefully, the third time”s the charm for Audeze”s attempt at making an entry-level headphone that captures the essence of their best high-end designs.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #95 of 1,085
This is quite exciting!

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #97 of 1,085
Today, Audeze is launching the superb, affordable Audeze LCD-1. Now if you've been around this hobby since 2009, then that "LCD-1" name might confuse you for a moment. Back at CanJam Los Angeles 2009, Audeze made its debut by shoehorning their planar magnetic drivers into a generic-looking Nady headphone chassis -- and Audeze called this frankenphone the Audeze LCD-1. Thankfully, that LCD-1 sounded far better than it looked, impressing many of the show's attendees, myself included. While Audeze has come a long long way in the ten years since, it was this OG LCD-1 that really started it all for Audeze.

(Above) The original Audeze LCD-1 that launched Audeze at CanJam LA 2009.

While the Audeze LCD-2 Classic launched last year was intended to evoke the sound of the original LCD-2 launched in 2010, the Audeze LCD-1 launching today shares only its name with the Nady-framed Audeze prototype from ten years ago. Today's LCD-1 is a far better headphone than its namesake, and, depending on what you're looking for, may be the top $399 open-back circumaural (around-the-ear) headphone available today. I also think this new LCD-1 -- which, from now on, unless otherwise noted, is the LCD-1 I'm referring to when I say "LCD-1" -- will prove a very significant headphone in the years to come (which I'll explain momentarily).

The Audeze LCD-1 is a planar magnetic headphone and uses a single-sided Fluxor magnet array. It also uses Audeze's Fazor waveguide technology, designed to reduce wave interference and optimize phase. The LCD-1's 90mm diaphragm is Audeze's Ultra-thin Uniforce design, and nominal impedance is listed as only 13.5 ohms. It is also a reasonably sensitive headphone, the pre-production unit we have reaching 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz with just a tick over 50 mV. (A production unit is on its way to us now, and I'll post measurements of the LCD-1 once I've measured (and listened to) that unit.)

As around-the-ear headphones go, the Audeze LCD-1 is on the smaller side, and it folds very compactly into its very nice included nylon semi-hardside carrying case. The included 2-meter cable is a premium braided design, terminated in a stereo 3.5mm miniplug with 1/4" adapter included. The LCD-1 is also very light weight, weighing just 250 grams (8.8 ounces). Audeze obviously intended for this headphone to be taken places.

The Audeze LCD-1 is priced at just $399, and it's marvelous at that price.

The first time I heard the LCD-1 was this summer in San Francisco, when Audeze's CEO Sankar Thiagasamudram met with me the day before the AES International Conference on Headphone Technology we were attending. Sankar is a very calm, very chill gentleman. However, in San Francisco when we met, he was uncharacteristically excited to have me hear the LCD-1.

Upon holding the LCD-1, my first impression was that it's is one of the nicest looking headphones Audeze's produced, in terms of how all the lines and shapes come together. I love the bigger Audeze LCD headphones, but they're still based on the LCD-2 design that started when Audeze was a much younger company -- for me, aesthetically, the larger LCD models' appeal is purely utilitarian, and has much to do with history, nostalgia. The LCD-1's makeup is a thoroughly modern design that has clearly-from-Audeze design elements -- namely the grille design with its leaning-in A-shaped stanchions. But the whole thing feels as-one, not several assembled pieces.

I was also taken with how lightweight it felt, first in the hands, and most importantly on my head. With only 250 grams to distribute, Audeze designed beautiful genuine lambskin earpads and headband padding that render it nearly weightless on my head. I want to mention, though, that part of the price you pay for this kind of light weight (not to mention the low cost of acquisition) is a headphone that feels rather like the plastic it's made of.

Another cautionary note is its "around-the-ear" description. While the LCD-1 is a circumaural (around-the-ear) design, it's definitely on the smaller side of that. My very averaged sized ears do touch the soft pads on the inside, but the soft hand of the lambskin makes it not just tolerable for me, but comfortable. My head is on the larger side, and the LCD-1 headband's caliper pressure feels assured but not clampy, thank goodness. This is a very comfortable headphone, but it may be less so for those who have larger ears.

In terms of sound quality, I was a couple of my reference songs into listening when I paused the music, looked up at Sankar and said, "This would be an exceptional open-back studio headphone." Sankar mentioned they very much had this in mind for the LCD-1.

There is no question that this little Audeze LCD-1 is going to be one of my neutral reference headphones, independent of price. As I've said many times before, given differences in preferences, subjectivity, and our own unique personal responses with different headphones, there is not a singular target that represents perfectly what neutral is for everyone with headphones. There is a sort of range within which neutral-ish exists, and the Audeze LCD-1 sits firmly through the center of that range. It's not neutral but with a bit of bass emphasis -- it's just neutral. It's not neutral with a hint of midrange bloom -- it's just neutral. It's not neutral but a little bright -- the LCD-1 is, to my ears, just neutral.

It is because of its neutrality that this headphone is a wonderful sonic palate cleanser. The likelihood that your main headphone or earphone is as color-free as the LCD-1 is probably low. I tend to prefer reference-type signatures with bass emphasis. If the headphone doesn't have that bass emphasis, I'm not shy about EQ'ing it in with the parametric equalizer in Roon. But it's nice sometimes to, again, clear the sonic palate -- to re-align my ears with neutral. If you can do that -- and enjoy the sound of the neutral headphone in question -- then you've really got something. And I really enjoy the sound of the Audeze LCD-1.

Again, I won't be posting measurements of this pre-production unit (but will have measurements of the production unit very soon), but I did measure it. I expect it to be similar or identical to the production unit, and I'll say that its frequency response is as neutral looking as it is neutral sounding. What I love about the LCD-1, though, is that its very extended bass response gives this headphone enough bass presence and tactility to satisfy me most of the time even for general listening, after I've re-aligned my ears away from my typical audiophile-type mild-basshead tendencies. Neutral, yes -- but gorgeous bass presence.

The LCD-1's midband and treble are also smooth and edge-free. This lack of sharpness doesn't mean lack of detail -- just lack of stridency, no harshness. This is a quality that gives it a sense of body through the mids and treble -- yes, I think treble can have a sense of body, of corporeality, but, for my tastes, that sense of what's real up-top can be robbed by shrillness. The LCD-1 has none of that.

It is in the LCD-1's mids and treble that some of us who are used to ultra-high-end headphones (like Audeze's own higher-end LCD models) might be a little wanting. Again, the LCD-1 is very detailed, but it's not the most incisive, detail-uncloaking headphone you've heard if you're used to an LCD-4 or HiFiMAN SUSVARA or STAX electrostatic. These are perhaps unfair comparisons, but my point is that it's going to take a higher-end headphone -- something well above $399 -- to resolutely out-resolve the LCD-1 overall.

Now earlier I said I think the Audeze LCD-1 is going to be a very significant headphone in the years to come, and here's why: I can't think of a headphone at or under the LCD-1's price that would be a more revealing, more neutral, open-back studio monitor headphone. If you visit recording studios and see any open-back headphones, there's a very solid chance it'll be the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. The HD600/650 is without a doubt an open-back studio standard. The thing is, in my opinion, the Audeze LCD-1 is far better suited to studio use for all the aforementioned reasons than the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. At its price, with its compactness and carryability, and especially with its brand of neutrality, I think we may be looking at the future open-back studio headphone standard with the Audeze LCD-1. (I'll try to get some same-session measurements of the LCD-1 and Sennheiser HD600/650 soon and post them.)

The Audeze LCD-1 is an artful, carefully executed distillation of all Audeze has learned in the past ten years, crammed into an affordable, lightweight, portable, neutrally-voiced, open-back planar magnetic wonder. With its name, this headphone poetically evokes memories of that cobbled-together Audeze LCD-1 shown at CanJam LA ten years ago, but only as an homage. The name is all these two headphones share, and I think as a sort of ten-year celebration, it was lovely to go back to "LCD-1."

Thanks, @jude ! Finally, an Audeze that I may WANT to afford in the future. Sound signature as described seems perfect. A neutral planar? Very interested. I love studio-ish signatures (Shures) and the portability on offer is great! That PLUS planar quality of bass and we have a winner. Will love to hear more about this headphone. Great job, Audeze!

Oct 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #100 of 1,085
Ora will have the final version of their graphene driver headphones.
I'll believe it when I see it. They've been saying that for the past two years. :confused:

Just the usual Kickstarter BS. Overpromise then underdeliver. And in many cases, never deliver. :angry:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #102 of 1,085
I got to tour Audeze's production facilities on Tuesday with none other than Sankar Thiagasamudram himself. It was a super chill, and geeky tour, but it was a lot of fun. The LCD-1 was in full production while I was given the tour, so I got the "OK" to post these photos only after the launch news yesterday.
DSC_9680.jpg

Earpad assembly
DSC_9667.jpg

DSC_9666.jpg

DSC_9646.jpg

DSC_9647.jpg

Driver-earcup assembly:
DSC_9651.jpg

DSC_9655.jpg

DSC_9656.jpg

DSC_9657.jpg

Every headphone goes through a QC check with Mr. Neumann head:
DSC_9679.jpg

And then every box goes through a final clean-up and inspection before being packed away:
DSC_9663.jpg

DSC_9665.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #105 of 1,085
They are already in production and they will be in AES with some some of them. You can check the last 2 updates.
Still vaporware until they ship.

I don't actually have anything against ORA and I do hope they can make it to the finish line with their headphones, but I've been burned before, so I definitely fall into the 'once bitten, twice shy' camp. :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back