Audeze LCD-1
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #124 of 1,085
I noticed in the video for the LCD-1 that the wiring is ambidextrous. I wonder if that also means it can't be run in balanced mode at all...

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #125 of 1,085
I noticed in the video for the LCD-1 that the wiring is ambidextrous. I wonder if that also means it can't be run in balanced mode at all...

Good question. If I get a pair I'll have an Asgard 3 and liquid platinum and a dx120 dap to experiment with. Should be interesting, wonder if they'll be noisy in the LP since they are so sensitive.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #126 of 1,085
I thought Jude made it pretty clear that the bass extension is very low, and that the headphone is neutral? It sounds to me like the bass will at the very least be neutral flat with extension.

Considering that's very typical of Audeze planars to achieve, I'd say there's nothing to worry about unless you want obvious tilt in bass.

I could be wrong, but Audeze has never strayed from linear fully extended bass AFAIK.
The bass is always a strong point. What's usually lacking is linear midrange/ treble. Planars are often 'soft' sounding in that area. Hoping the LCD-1 solves that issue, even if overall less refined than the big boys..

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #127 of 1,085
I'm wondering the same thing. Is it possible, Audeze? Not like you need it at all...headphone plays super loud from everything.

Edit: I also learned the pads are clip-on from this thread. I assumed they were glued, guess not. That's a bonus.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #128 of 1,085
GRAS KEMAR raw FR there, so that people aren't confused or try to complain about the "big 3k peak" which is merely an expected ear resonance. Thanks for posting my review too

Big fan metal! Great review BTW!

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #130 of 1,085
What makes me curious here is why @Audeze have elected not to take advantage of their cipher/DSP tech for this portable offering?

if these had a cipher cable, it would be an immediate purchase for me. I do understand that this is probably a great performer due to it’s efficiency & neutral response curve but that doesn’t mean it’s optimal for what this build is capable of.

cipher was described as a new platform for mobile products & then supplemented with the reveal technology on desktop for the entire lineup.

mobius has the built in DAC/AMP/DSP

what happened with the DSP/planar feature set? It’s practically a match made in heaven for portable headphones!

Oct 17, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #131 of 1,085
The included cables can be put into the earcups without having to worry about the correct channels, but that is a good question. The earcup connection is a 3.5 mm jack.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #132 of 1,085
Forgive my ignorance on planars, as I've only had one set of Hifimans.

I sold my HE-400i cans about a year ago because I didn't like the "dip" it had when there was heavy bass. Is this a characteristic of planars in general? I'd like to pick up the LCD-1 to try out, but that's pretty much a deal killer for me if all planars have that dip.

it’s really unclear what attributes of planar drivers or headphone performance you may be referring to here

like a dip in the frequency response? I assume that may not be the case because you’re correlating the attribute you dislike to when the bass increases which sounds like it’s related to the dynamic capabilities around transient response or something like that

I’ve never heard the 400i but it almost seems like you’re describing a headphone that’s bottoming out and distorted when certain bass frequencies are reproduced.

I’ve never heard an audeze do something like that

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #133 of 1,085
So did you fund Audeze's Kickstarter to get your "shipping last of OCT", pair of LCD-1's yet?

Truly, why sell something that is not available, unless you are trying to fund it's creation by pretending that its available, (in a few more weeks), if you will only pay us now?
Also.. the LCD-1 online literature commentary regarding the parts, is almost, seemingly, an attempt to hide the fact that they are created in China...which apparently they are not.
Why the need to tell you that not all parts are made in the USA. "but the good parts, the important parts, are made right here, yeah baby..."....= geez.

Now, sitting all that aside, what worries me is not if they are made in China, and shipped to Audeze, who repackages them, then ships them to you....(or Not)....... Im ok with that, as many Chinese Parts make up almost everything that is created as an electronic gear...... So, no fear.
But what does worry me, just a bit, is the way that Audeze posted ONE review of the sound of the LCD-1. And that review ignores bass and midrange, and only talks about TREBLE. = UH OH.
Now, in my experience, when a brand new device has a fatal flaw....(like the rock hard ear-cups on the original SINE).....or say, a headphone that is sizzling with Treble, and you realize as the Vendor that you have to move 25,000 units to get your original $$$$$$ investment back.....what you do, is get ahead of the frustrated buyer's remorse whiplash that you know is going to be coming back at you for creating an "audiophile" headphone that can pierce a diamond like a sonic laser with its overcooked treble. And the way you jump ahead of all this looming negative feedback is to review the sound of it before anyone has bought one yet..... and you try to create the idea (Illusion) that this burningly overcooked treble response piece of $400 gear, is "Audiophile".
However, the reality is.... when we are talking about Audiophile headphones, or audiophile speakers, or Audiophile Sound, what matters most, or should if you know what you are talking about.......is the midrange. And in the case of the LCD-1, there is a stunning lack of commentary about
its midrange quality, from a maker who says it makes the world's best Audiophile headphones...... Hummmmmmmm.
So, i ordered a pair, 2nd Day Fedex.... and once they are on my head, (hopefully before November) i'll try to come back here and post what i discovered, regarding their sound, as im hearing it.
I hope its a great $400 set of headphones, and not just a treble-head's Nirvana.

Later, -

FB1
There are more reasons to do a Kickstarter campaign besides preempting buyer remorse. Some include:
- Determining initial demand to optimize manufacturing runs
- Minimize cash flow fluctuation inherent to product launches
- It’s very effective marketing

It’s a smart business move from my perspective.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #134 of 1,085

I'm wondering the same thing. Is it possible, Audeze? Not like you need it at all...headphone plays super loud from everything.
Yes balanced is possible, just need them to be designed appropriately. We will provide more information on this later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back