Audeze LCD-1
Oct 18, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #151 of 1,085
Yes balanced is possible, just need them to be designed appropriately. We will provide more information on this later.

LCD-1 cable is comprised of two shielded stereo cables that are connected in parallel to a single 3.5mm TRS connector (going to the amp). Each of the shielded stereo cables terminate as 3.5mm TRS connector going into each of the ear cups. There are sufficient wires available to easily reterminate to whatever balanced cable termination you desire or build your own.

Each earcup is connected to respective left or right contact on female connector inside earcup. Return wire in both cases is shield from the cable that is connected to respective earcup. Obviously, care needs to be taken not to short shields from both cables on the balanced connector because that defeats the purpose of balanced connection and in most cases can create problems with amplifier. Right now the cables are not marked left or right because they are L/R agnostic but if using a balanced configuration then Left/right marking can be easily made with heat shrink of desired color.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #153 of 1,085
Is the Lcd-1 a Hifiman Sundara killer? Is it better than Sennheiser 650/660?
Who knows...:wink:
Meanwhile I´ve saw metals review and I´m pleased. Obviously he likes his sennheisers. I would be surprised when the lcd-1 fails.
There is a technical difference to the higher priced models of audeze but I´m interested how big the difference is in sound quality.:)

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #154 of 1,085
You are currently taking orders for your LCD-1s from your Audeze website. So, these orders will be shipped directly from Audeze, and not "through a dealer". So, as you are taking orders since October 16th, why are you not already shipping the Headphones, as you state you wont ship till the end of October.
So, is this because you don't have any available to ship? If this is true, why don't you ???, as you are taking orders for them.
Are you not shipping because you don't have any built to ship, or is it because you are contractually legally bound to supply your distributors, before you can ship directly to customers?
Why the delay in shipping the headphones to the people who have already paid you, if you have them in Stock?
Drop does the same thing with pre-orders. I think they want a good supply on hand before shipping commences so everyone gets them in due course.

And it's not like we don't have any other headphones to listen to while we wait :dt880smile:

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #156 of 1,085
Drop does the same thing with pre-orders. I think they want a good supply on hand before shipping commences so everyone gets them in due course.

And it's not like we don't have any other headphones to listen to while we wait :dt880smile:

Well, had Audeze listed the gear as a "pre-order" then that would explain the delay in shipping.
As you said, all other companies tell you its a "pre-order", if that is the case.
But in this case, they didnt use this term on the gear info page, and they didnt use this term when you go to their "purchase page".
I bought them, so, obviously i'm willing to wait, but, its interesting that they don't list them as a pre-order......just a delayed ship.
It could well be that very soon the term "pre-order" is going to appear on the LCD-1 purchase page.
I wouldn't be surprised.

thx again.
looking forward to reviewing them.
maybe i'll be the first to review them here..
ok then. later.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #158 of 1,085
There is a technical difference to the higher priced models of audeze but I´m interested how big the difference is in sound quality.:)

I'll let you know if the LCD-1 compares favorably to the Sundara, when i review them..
I also own some "higher priced" Audeze models, and i'll let you know how the LCD-1 rates, in my up-coming review.
Audeze states that the LCD-1 is one of their (4) Reference headphones, so, that says a lot regarding their opinion of the gear.
A $399 "Reference" Audeze headphone, should be quite a wonder.
Maybe it will dethrone the longstanding King of Intro-audiophile listening experience, the mighty HD600.
And sure, the HD600 is "only" a dynamic headphone, but, 95% of all audiophiles own them, still.

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #159 of 1,085
LCD-1 cable is comprised of two shielded stereo cables that are connected in parallel to a single 3.5mm TRS connector (going to the amp). Each of the shielded stereo cables terminate as 3.5mm TRS connector going into each of the ear cups. There are sufficient wires available to easily reterminate to whatever balanced cable termination you desire or build your own.

Each earcup is connected to respective left or right contact on female connector inside earcup. Return wire in both cases is shield from the cable that is connected to respective earcup. Obviously, care needs to be taken not to short shields from both cables on the balanced connector because that defeats the purpose of balanced connection and in most cases can create problems with amplifier. Right now the cables are not marked left or right because they are L/R agnostic but if using a balanced configuration then Left/right marking can be easily made with heat shrink of desired color.
Because of the wiring, can you use your own 3.5mm cable with a balanced xlr termination, such as that from Norne for instance?

I´m looking forward to read a review of you.:)

Ah Kopf......you really do have a soft spot and a heart! LOL!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #163 of 1,085
>>But what does worry me, just a bit, is the way that Audeze posted ONE review of the sound of the LCD-1
This is just a timing issue. We had sent several units out, which is usually a mixture of Mixing / Mastering engineers and some publications. We expect more reviews to come in the next week.

In my book, if you're going to have just one review out on release, Metal571 is a pretty good option for that one.

Oct 19, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #165 of 1,085
In my book, if you're going to have just one review out on release, Metal571 is a pretty good option for that one.

I can't speak for Metal571, as im not familiar with any of their previous reviews.
However, if you get a chance to speak with him, you might ask him to give you his opinion of the MIDRANGE AND BASS RESPONSE, of the LCD-1, as all he talks about in his LCD-1 Review, is the TREBLE response.
And, you might ask him WHY he only speaks about the TREBLE response, regarding a REFERENCE (according to Audeze) Headphone)s).
Here is what i can tell you. If i review them, and all i talk about is their Treble response, then i have told you NOTHING.
Exactly.
So, when i do review them, i will be certain to give you a real review, and not just speak about their Treble response or say something like....."best in class" or "best portable reference", but not tell you why.....etc.
No worries.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back