Audeze LCD-1
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #106 of 1,085
Ora will have the final version of the graphener drivers headphones.
Honestly they are not worth the trip. I am more so looking forward to the Heddphone and if that lives up to the hype.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #108 of 1,085
Not a fan of the smaller earcup size. Will have to test the comfort before even considering buying a pair. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to test Audeze cans in Finland, especially something new like this - no stores seem to have Audeze cans available for testing. At least not anywhere near me. It's a massive shame.

They do look rather nice though, and the weight is a massive improvement.

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #109 of 1,085
I believe it was asked but it wasn't addressed; IMO a pretty big question: are the pads removeable / replaceable? In the assembly photos it appears as if they have mounting rings on the pads similar to that of HFM - maybe things may turn out to be another "3d printed adapter" sine situation for those with large ears.

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #111 of 1,085
I've been off building Grado type headphones for a while now and I believe I have dynamic drivers covered there. I've been seriously considering selling my Tesla driver beyerdynamic headphones (DT1990 & Amiron Home) as I have a set of custom Grado's that cover what I like in each of these headphones.

After reading and watching what is available online about the Audeze LCD-1 I'm intrigued. I pre-ordered a LCD-1 this afternoon so hopefully I'll have something to report soon.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #112 of 1,085
So did you fund Audeze's Kickstarter to get your "shipping last of OCT", pair of LCD-1's yet?

Truly, why sell something that is not available, unless you are trying to fund it's creation by pretending that its available, (in a few more weeks), if you will only pay us now?
Also.. the LCD-1 online literature commentary regarding the parts, is almost, seemingly, an attempt to hide the fact that they are created in China...which apparently they are not.
Why the need to tell you that not all parts are made in the USA. "but the good parts, the important parts, are made right here, yeah baby..."....= geez.

Now, sitting all that aside, what worries me is not if they are made in China, and shipped to Audeze, who repackages them, then ships them to you....(or Not)....... Im ok with that, as many Chinese Parts make up almost everything that is created as an electronic gear...... So, no fear.
But what does worry me, just a bit, is the way that Audeze posted ONE review of the sound of the LCD-1. And that review ignores bass and midrange, and only talks about TREBLE. = UH OH.
Now, in my experience, when a brand new device has a fatal flaw....(like the rock hard ear-cups on the original SINE).....or say, a headphone that is sizzling with Treble, and you realize as the Vendor that you have to move 25,000 units to get your original $$$$$$ investment back.....what you do, is get ahead of the frustrated buyer's remorse whiplash that you know is going to be coming back at you for creating an "audiophile" headphone that can pierce a diamond like a sonic laser with its overcooked treble. And the way you jump ahead of all this looming negative feedback is to review the sound of it before anyone has bought one yet..... and you try to create the idea (Illusion) that this burningly overcooked treble response piece of $400 gear, is "Audiophile".
However, the reality is.... when we are talking about Audiophile headphones, or audiophile speakers, or Audiophile Sound, what matters most, or should if you know what you are talking about.......is the midrange. And in the case of the LCD-1, there is a stunning lack of commentary about
its midrange quality, from a maker who says it makes the world's best Audiophile headphones...... Hummmmmmmm.
So, i ordered a pair, 2nd Day Fedex.... and once they are on my head, (hopefully before November) i'll try to come back here and post what i discovered, regarding their sound, as im hearing it.
I hope its a great $400 set of headphones, and not just a treble-head's Nirvana.

Later, -

FB1

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #115 of 1,085
I believe it was asked but it wasn't addressed; IMO a pretty big question: are the pads removeable / replaceable? In the assembly photos it appears as if they have mounting rings on the pads similar to that of HFM - maybe things may turn out to be another "3d printed adapter" sine situation for those with large ears.
The pads are clip-on and are replaceable.

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #116 of 1,085
>>But what does worry me, just a bit, is the way that Audeze posted ONE review of the sound of the LCD-1
This is just a timing issue. We had sent several units out, which is usually a mixture of Mixing / Mastering engineers and some publications. We expect more reviews to come in the next week.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #117 of 1,085
I thought Jude made it pretty clear that the bass extension is very low, and that the headphone is neutral? It sounds to me like the bass will at the very least be neutral flat with extension.

Considering that's very typical of Audeze planars to achieve, I'd say there's nothing to worry about unless you want obvious tilt in bass.

I could be wrong, but Audeze has never strayed from linear fully extended bass AFAIK.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #118 of 1,085
Nah, that would be the Grado SR-60e which are made in the USA. Cheapest US made planar for sure though.
Wow, $79. That’s pretty cheap!

Now if only they made headphones with ear pads that were made of anything else other than open-cell foam, then I might actually be interested in them. :confused:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #120 of 1,085
As long as pads are easily removable, I think you can find a variety of pads that could work. The size of the cups looks like the Mobius, and you can fit some Shure 1540 Alcantara pads on those. They wrap over the top lip, and holds the pads in place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back