Audeze LCD-1
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #76 of 1,085
Warm/cold, bright/dark. The real issue with all of this terminology is that it is relative in nature. Warm compared to what? Cold compared to what? That's why I always say my reference is an HD 650 running a Q1.41 3.5k -2 dB EQ. Any reviewer not mentioning their specific reference tone relative to a known headphone is going to mislead at least somebody.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #77 of 1,085
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #78 of 1,085
Warm/cold, bright/dark. The real issue with all of this terminology is that it is relative in nature. Warm compared to what? Cold compared to what? That's why I always say my reference is an HD 650 running a Q1.41 3.5k -2 dB EQ. Any reviewer not mentioning their specific reference tone relative to a known headphone is going to mislead at least somebody.

Yes, this terminology is relative in nature.
We should try to describe it as precise as it possible.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #79 of 1,085
Cold can be replaced by something people perceive as such. Like a clinic, or hospital. Things usually known to be cold. You know, sterile, dry, clinical.

You go to a clinic to pinpoint specific things about your health. Often impersonal, calculated, and uninviting. Instruments for specific purpose of gathering miniscule data. Warm of course, being the opposite of this.

If you think that's a hard concept to grasp, then, sorry, I can't help you. To everyone else, I'll continue to use terms like warm and cold because, they seem like common sense to me.

Perhaps we should get back on topic, and you can create a new thread debating why using terms that you don't understand the concept of is illegitimate.

This is about the LCD-1. I'll hopefully be able to get my hands on a pair soon, and make my own assessment which will include hard to understand concepts such as temperatures of sound signatures. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #82 of 1,085
Still kicking myself for not buying an original LCD-1 a few years ago...

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #83 of 1,085

I have to say listening with a set of Studio monitors that are quite literally "flat" helps define a lot of this terminology, but your right about having a SET DEFINE reference. It's something I need to put more focus on, but I've always understood real music to also be the/a reference

I still have the opportunity to hear a real guitar, a real drum kit and real violin, real vocalists and most often in a more or less open space so for a long time for ME reality was my reference, that said when listening via playback an SDR HD800 is my reference but even then I understand it to be "brighter" than reality

That said even generally speaking most regular people can understand an identify basic coloration and apparent emphasis, so the terms try to ground that some what basic understanding. If I let a friend hear my EMU Purple Heart and then an MDR V6 even they grasp the basic idea of "warm" vs "cold"

That doesn't mean having a set reference clearly stated isn't important but I still think the terminology has merit, the problem is the details or small changes between how each reviewer uses certain terms.

Warm in reference to what, I personally find the HD 800 to be ever so slightly warm and slower than fast, others think I'm insane? But after living with an HE 4 for years I find the HD 800 with SDR mod to be as such! Slower and warmer relative to what I'm used to, so in that case stating my preference as Metal suggests is the best practice for any and all of my viewers/readers

Though these days I would position that statement differently, the HE 4 is more excessively fast and cold than the HD 800 is warm/slow

Even though I still dislike people who describe the HD 800 as being Fast and Cold as from my perspective it's not. I would only really say it's bright, an again another example my HE 560 V1 with BrainWavz Angled Velours and a Solid Silver Cable is Fast/Lean or Cold but it's dark, where as the HD 800 is Not fast nor lean or cold and is bright, I'm using Lean/Cold to reference the envelope or presentation of harmonics relative to fundamentals alongside things like attack decay how apparent are things like sustain an release where as "bright" is in reference to frequency response only, bright being a term I reserve for anything with obvious top end emphasis

So forth and so on

That aside, I'm really excited to see this product hit the market! I've been wanting Audeze to target this price point and I'm happy they have. The objective measurements and subjective impressions [from people whose input I find trust worthy, consistent and candid] all point to this being a very good planar option! An like @jude an others have mentioned I think it could redefine the market/price point

I was hoping the Alara would do this but I don't think it did by any means... so here's to hoping Audeze take's the cake!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #84 of 1,085
I´m really looking forward to see your next conclusion. Let me me guess: "This headphone sounds cold and sterile but at the same time soft" lol
To me soft seems to resonate more ish with planars. Especially with the Hifiman Ananda, Arya and a bit the HE1000SE sort of just how the timbre of it works.

It's definitely a learning curve but eventually as you listen to many headphones you'll be able to distinguish what people mean by this headphone sounds sterile, dry, analytical etc. :)

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #85 of 1,085
Terms like warm, bright, etc. describe the tuning, which is mostly a matter of taste. That's why the terms used to describe them are squishy. comparisons help communicate context, but everyone has their own personal take on tone. Soundstage terms are also within the ear of the beholder, but generally speaking, there's more agreement on what constitutes a wide or narrow, deep or shallow soundstage.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #89 of 1,085
As an owner/fan of the Sendy Aiva I am very intrigued by this new offering from Audeze. I feel like at this price it is a direct competitor to the Aiva. I've always wanted one (since like 2010) but have never or never even come close to owning an Audeze headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back