Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 4, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,426 of 9,041
  I must know -- does it smell like egg salad? 
eek.gif

Actually, it smelt gorgeous right after...like a scent from a grand perfumery house....

But now, usual raw copper metal smell as before 

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #4,427 of 9,041
so i want to ask again someone mentioned here that AK when they upgrade their firmware that they do not change the tuning of the AK, so how on earth do we here the differences between firmwares then

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #4,428 of 9,041
  so i want to ask again someone mentioned here that AK when they upgrade their firmware that they do not change the tuning of the AK, so how on earth do we here the differences between firmwares then

The sonics always change with each FW update when companies use third party dac chips. It is the same with other companies like iBasso, Lotoo, Calyx etc. Some may be intentional sonic changes?

It appears as if it's an uncontrollable part and parcel of FW changes..I recall someone mentioning that even AK themselves cannot be certain why the sonics changes?! Go figure........

Well I suggest just trusting your ears, if you don't hear any difference, it is fine!!!

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #4,429 of 9,041
Just compare them side by side :). Granted, old photo

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #4,430 of 9,041

Seriously nice album to chill out to, especially in DXD that you have downloaded.....

There is a bell in in the first track at 2.32 that sounds exactly like the notification I used to use for messages and to this day I still pick up my phone to check messages............

biggrin.gif

It took me three nights to download them all, the files are huge even though the songs aren't that long. Track 8 is currently my favorite as it is without vocals and some really 'chill jazz fusion'.

The sonics always change with each FW update when companies use third party dac chips. It is the same with other companies like iBasso, Lotoo, Calyx etc. Some may be intentional sonic changes?

It appears as if it's an uncontrollable part and parcel of FW changes..I recall someone mentioning that even AK themselves cannot be certain why the sonics changes?! Go figure........

Well I suggest just trusting your ears, if you don't hear any difference, it is fine!!!

I guess the question now is: what happens when a RWAK380 upgrades firmware, is the RWAK sound affected in any way. My RWAK380 still sounding laid-back and flat .... haven't been using it much ... 

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #4,432 of 9,041
@spkrs01 Gavin love the aged look of your AK bro. Damn that is beautiful.

Thanks Man! I love it too...............

It took me three nights to download them all, the files are huge even though the songs aren't that long. Track 8 is currently my favorite as it is without vocals and some really 'chill jazz fusion'.

I guess the question now is: what happens when a RWAK380 upgrades firmware, is the RWAK sound affected in any way. My RWAK380 still sounding laid-back and flat .... haven't been using it much ... 

Glad you are enjoying the album
ksc75smile.gif

Took you a long time to download though! Usually it's just a few hours for me........

I would love to listen to your RWAK380 if time allows. I am usually pretty much footloose and fancy free when I am in Hong Kong, so hopefully we can get together sometime.

beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #4,433 of 9,041

thats pretty strange as with apple products when they update their firmware sound does not change

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #4,434 of 9,041
  thats pretty strange as with apple products when they update their firmware sound does not change

They are quite different products, and even if it did change sound, you would never be able to hear it....

It is a pretty overpoweringly coloured device you are comparing the 380 with. 

My 2 cents

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #4,435 of 9,041
They are quite different products, and even if it did change sound, you would never be able to hear it....

My 2 cents

Apple devices are not colored at all, they're quite flat if not totally flat instead. Also someone needs to blind test 2 devices with different firmware, I'm sceptic too. Maybe it's wishful thinking that the sound has changed that little bit again.

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4,436 of 9,041

My 2 cents

its not that i have an issue with that the sound sig changes, all I was wondering how come this change is happening, I thought AK change it on purpose 

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #4,437 of 9,041
Apple devices are not colored at all, they're quite flat if not totally flat instead. Also someone needs to blind test 2 devices with different firmware, I'm sceptic too. Maybe it's wishful thinking that the sound has changed that little bit again.

the biggest sound change was updating from 1.18 to 1.23 

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #4,438 of 9,041

I will just make my case like this, and through experience of what I see....

Lots of earphones are made and built using the same curve. However, they sound different due to implementation but the measured curve is the same...

How do you measure soundstage, sense of air, darkness etc etc....not enough is researched to give a definitive answer that says this curve represent this or flat is flat.........

It is just my opinion, but we really should trust our ears as they really are quite astonishing at the amount of information they can perceive.

I have nothing against science but for example, it's like the definitive that people cannot hear beyond 24/96 then why higher rez music??? This theory was really just to accommodate dacs that used to use usb 1 at the beginning of digital, and maximum bitrate that usb 1 could handle was 24/96. Then everything else theorized to support this, with this that and the other white paper.

Really the bigger the music file, the more information it contains for me. I am a huge advocate and hope we see 16 or 32 DSD type files and that is when we get close to analogue.

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #4,439 of 9,041
Well said Gavin. The key is that while measurement and curve describe objectively some attributes of sound and hearing, we are far from getting a complete understanding how we as human being preceive sound. In other words there are aspect of it that we don't even know who it work let alone how to measure or specify to design. Until then all we can do is rely on our subjective listen and decide for ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back