Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 5, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #4,441 of 9,041
I did compare different FW extensively...Same songs, volume matched...I believe I posted the pictures and thoughts before, but here are the pictures again....

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #4,443 of 9,041
  My RWAK380 still sounding laid-back and flat .... haven't been using it much ... 

This is very intruiging and... scarry !  

I was tempted to get a RWAK380 instead of a AK380, but... if the final result is disapointing, then modding the already excellent AK380 may become a risky move:  Not only you pay quite a lot of money, but also you loose A&K warranty...for no better SQ !   Are you sure that your RWAK mod has been done properly or that your AK380 is not defective ?  

--> Are there other people having done the RWAK mod to their AK380 that did not experienced an improvement in SQ ? or even worse, a SQ degradation ? 

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #4,445 of 9,041
Okay, for those who have been following the saga, the summary of the story is:

A couple of week ago I complained about the battery life of the AK380.  Reports from others (thanks guys!) who tested it showed that my experience was not typical, and their battery life was, indeed, quite impressive.

When I received my unit, the back of the AK380 was not flush but didn't think it was a serious problem, so I did my best to push everything back in place.  Unfortunately, the problem with the back created a connection problem with the Amp.  I decided to return it to Iriver and have the back repaired.  Lo, and behold, the two things were related.  According to the repair sheet, I had a "defective and bloated" battery which pushed the back of the AK380 out of place.  They replaced the battery, installed a new back, and now all is well in AK380/amp land!

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #4,446 of 9,041
good to hear all went well with this issue on hand.  astell & kern job well done!!  hey jazzi, just 1 question, was this with a AK380 or AK380 copper?
just want to point this compliment out from observing this head-fi website since i joined several years back; astell & kern/iriver "NOT" related but small business
 like mr. speakers, chord hugo & fiio have been HIGHLY ACTIVE in these thread/forums on their particular product and stands behind their product 100%.
good to know & see business members with such interaction with their customers. 
support me and i will do the same back at you. help me help you!! 
bigsmile_face.gif
 BIG KUDOS to those excellent business. the support is strong here from me.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #4,447 of 9,041
  good to hear all went well with this issue on hand.  astell & kern job well done!!  hey jazzi, just 1 question, was this with a AK380 or AK380 copper?
just want to point this compliment out from observing this head-fi website since i joined several years back; astell & kern/iriver "NOT" related but small business
 like mr. speakers, chord hugo & fiio have been HIGHLY ACTIVE in these thread/forums on their particular product and stands behind their product 100%.
good to know & see business members with such interaction with their customers. 
support me and i will do the same back at you. help me help you!! 
bigsmile_face.gif
 BIG KUDOS to those excellent business. the support is strong here from me.

@catoval55 , I have the AK380/amp, not the AK380CU.

And yes, if Iriver/AK is watching the threads, big thumbs up to you!

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #4,448 of 9,041

This is very intruiging and... scarry !  

I was tempted to get a RWAK380 instead of a AK380, but... if the final result is disapointing, then modding the already excellent AK380 may become a risky move:  Not only you pay quite a lot of money, but also you loose A&K warranty...for no better SQ !   Are you sure that your RWAK mod has been done properly or that your AK380 is not defective ?  

--> Are there other people having done the RWAK mod to their AK380 that did not experienced an improvement in SQ ? or even worse, a SQ degradation ? 

In case you didn't get the whole story a few pages back the other RWAK380 owners (who are very impressed by their units) told me I need to burn in the changed capacitance. I also got a reply from Vinnie that my critical evaluation of the RWAK380 should not begin until at least 100 hours burn-in. I just got my fixed RWAK380 back exactly a week ago, I have not burned it in for 100 hours, I will just use it normally on normal day commuting and a bit at home and report back if there are any positive changes.

For the week I have owned it for, the sound continues to sound recessed, uninvolving, hollow, thin. The detail retrieval is retained from the stock 380 however. My Layla improves dramatically after the 380 amp is added. That's all for my impressions, I need to burn in further. Although I'm not a believer in burn-in (for iems anyway) so I will have to see if I detect burn-in with this DAP. Just want to be totally honest about my impressions and any subsequent changes. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #4,449 of 9,041
  In case you didn't get the whole story a few pages back the other RWAK380 owners (who are very impressed by their units) told me I need to burn in the changed capacitance. I also got a reply from Vinnie that my critical evaluation of the RWAK380 should not begin until at least 100 hours burn-in. I just got my fixed RWAK380 back exactly a week ago, I have not burned it in for 100 hours, I will just use it normally on normal day commuting and a bit at home and report back if there are any positive changes.

For the week I have owned it for, the sound continues to sound recessed, uninvolving, hollow, thin. The detail retrieval is retained from the stock 380 however. My Layla improves dramatically after the 380 amp is added. That's all for my impressions, I need to burn in further. Although I'm not a believer in burn-in (for iems anyway) so I will have to see if I detect burn-in with this DAP. Just want to be totally honest about my impressions and any subsequent changes. 

@prismstorm, why not just let it run 24/7 and speed up the process a little?  I remember when I bought a iBasso awhile ago, the box included a short cable that 'fooled' the unit into thinking a headphone was connected.  I let it run 24/7 for about a week -- not that I'm conceding that burn in is 'a thing', of course. 
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #4,450 of 9,041
Okay, I need someone who reads Chinese to tell me if the Dignis case is now on sale, how much it costs, and how can I get one.  Thanks.

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000086209/

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #4,451 of 9,041
mmm....it is in Japanese. Bing Translator still says (when you hover over Japanese text): taking reservations slated early april.Y24,800 for case and shipping not included. Someone who can read Japanese, please chime in.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #4,452 of 9,041
  mmm....it is in Japanese. Bing Translator still says (when you hover over Japanese text): taking reservations slated early april.Y24,800 for case and shipping not included. Someone who can read Japanese, please chime in.

I originally wrote Japanese, and thought better of it and changed the word in my post to Chinese.  Just proves trying to improve something usually just screws it up! 

Thanks, @raypin .

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #4,454 of 9,041
  Pretty cool case if I had the original 380, but none of them seems to live up to the quality of the Cu. 

Uh, if leather isn't good enough enclosure for the 380CU, what would you propose?  In the meantime you might want to wrap yours in something soft to keep from dinging it up. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #4,455 of 9,041
No case should be used, especially for the copper whose aesthetic is one of the selling points. For those who haven't tried it, please A/B your AK380 with and without a case - you will be surprised.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back