Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 1, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #6,571 of 9,040
Needing some advice - interested in an AK player - just want to play FLAC, not bothered about DSD or anything - would I be better off with a 'cheaper' AK model with Wolfson DAC(s) or is it worth going all out for the AK380? 

I'm attracted to the AK380 because of the storage capacity and the fact it can be used with the CD ripper - I find putting my music on external hard drives a bit of a faff and keeping it completely separate from my laptop would be a bonus, but what a price...

The cheaper alternative would be to get an iBasso DX80 and pair it with a Chord Hugo, although that, of course, would mean laptop / music files / external HDs etc - but it would be cheaper.

Anyway, if a lesser AK model would give me just as good a sound with FLAC it might be the way to go for ease of use - any advice gratefully received.

The lower end models like AK70 is able to work with the CD ripper as well.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #6,572 of 9,040
Would I be as well getting a lower end model if just listening to FLAC?

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #6,575 of 9,040
If it had 500gb storage yes - wish AK would make a cheaper player with the storage of the 380 - I can't be the only Head-fier who'd love such a product - with memory getting so cheap, I'm surprised AK doesn't offer this - if iBasso can do do it why not AK?

Oct 2, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #6,576 of 9,040
I was interested in finally hearing the AK380 myself, and if it could live up to the high expectations that come with its pricetag. So I managed to loan one for a week from the local Dutch distributor hdphns.com. Well I must admit, it is a magnificent piece of equipment. AK’s are known for their exorbitant pricing, but the AK380 delivers class in spades for its functionality, design and UI. However, I must admit that I don't really care about any of that. I would have been fine with if it was a $1000 cheaper, and looked like the LPG. But that's probably because I'm not rich enough to care about anything but sound at this stage. 

But when it comes to the sound, I hear a lot of class in its presentation. I am very impressed. The AK380 definitely has a mid-centric tonality, slightly warm and very smooth. But it immediately impresses with its soundstage and imaging: very spacious and precise, almost dwarfing my current favourite player, the LPG, and easily besting both the 901S and Plenue S. Its general tonality has a certain naturalness, a very effortless sound. The presentation is slightly laidback compared to the LPG. The LPG is known as the 'king of resolution' in its class, but the AK presents resolution in a more natural way. Because it has an even tonal balance, it preserves lower harmonics better for a more detailed and nuanced sound. The LPG also has great midrange resolution, but its focus is more on the articulation of the core of the tone due to its lift in the mid/upper treble, and in doing so, the traces of the note are less apparent. Basically, the reverberation of a chord, the vibrato in an electric guitar or violin, the AK presents such nuances more clearly.  

The LPG on the other hand is more forward in its presentation, more stimulating. Its tone in the upper midrange and treble is brighter. So while the AK’s overall timbre has a certain naturalness, the upper midrange of the LPG shines and sparkles, portraying a greater realism and more transparency. When I listen to an electric guitar, I want to hear it soar, while a violin or acoustic guitar should shine and sparkle. The LPG does just that, even though it is a little rough around the edges compared to the AK. The AK is smoother, certainly more refined, but also tends to keep it on the safe side for my personal preference, and is just a little bit 'dull' there for lack of a better word. I had to get used to it for a bit. You could say the LPG is more fatuiging, if you're sensitive to that (I'm not), while the AK isn't. This isn’t passing judgment on the AK of course, for it comes down to preference and sensitivity.  

When it comes to the treble, the LPG's is more prominent and thicker. And then there's the AK's treble..  with greater resolution, it is more articulate, quicker, and is toned down just a notch or two to give it an incredible natural timbre. Delightful - so this is what $3500 treble sounds like. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but while I prefer the LPG's brighter upper midrange, I can just sit back and listen to this treble endlessly.. I think it's that good.

So all in all, the AK380 is without a doubt technically better, more refined and more resolving. Not to mention that incredible stage and beautiful timbre. But due to its tonality, I still prefer the LPG for a lot of my favorite genres, as I listen to a lot of rock and electronic music for instance. It is more stimulating and 'exciting' due to its forward and brighter presentation. The AK380 on the other hand I find better for smooth jazz, singer/songwriter type music, or classic rock to name a few. They're different enough to be complimentary. Needless to say, now that I've heard it I'm going to do my utmost best to get one :wink: 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #6,577 of 9,040
I was interested in finally hearing the AK380 myself, and if it could live up to the high expectations that come with its pricetag. So I managed to loan one for a week from the local Dutch distributor hdphns.com. Well I must admit, it is a magnificent piece of equipment. AK’s are known for their exorbitant pricing, but the AK380 delivers class in spades for its functionality, design and UI. However, I must admit that I don't really care about any of that. I would have been fine with if it was a $1000 cheaper, and looked like the LPG. But that's probably because I'm not rich enough to care about anything but sound at this stage. 

But when it comes to the sound, I hear a lot of class in its presentation. I am very impressed. The AK380 definitely has a mid-centric tonality, slightly warm and very smooth. But it immediately impresses with its soundstage and imaging: very spacious and precise, almost dwarfing my current favourite player, the LPG, and easily besting both the 901S and Plenue S. Its general tonality has a certain naturalness, a very effortless sound. The presentation is slightly laidback compared to the LPG. The LPG is known as the 'king of resolution' in its class, but the AK presents resolution in a more natural way. Because it has an even tonal balance, it preserves lower harmonics better for a more detailed and nuanced sound. The LPG also has great midrange resolution, but its focus is more on the articulation of the core of the tone due to its lift in the mid/upper treble, and in doing so, the traces of the note are less apparent. Basically, the reverberation of a chord, the vibrato in an electric guitar or violin, the AK presents such nuances more clearly.  

The LPG on the other hand is more forward in its presentation, more stimulating. Its tone in the upper midrange and treble is brighter. So while the AK’s overall timbre has a certain naturalness, the upper midrange of the LPG shines and sparkles, portraying a greater realism and more transparency. When I listen to an electric guitar, I want to hear it soar, while a violin or acoustic guitar should shine and sparkle. The LPG does just that, even though it is a little rough around the edges compared to the AK. The AK is smoother, certainly more refined, but also tends to keep it on the safe side for my personal preference, and is just a little bit 'dull' there for lack of a better word. I had to get used to it for a bit. You could say the LPG is more fatuiging, if you're sensitive to that (I'm not), while the AK isn't. This isn’t passing judgment on the AK of course, for it comes down to preference and sensitivity.  

When it comes to the treble, the LPG's is more prominent and thicker. And then there's the AK's treble..  with greater resolution, it is more articulate, quicker, and is toned down just a notch or two to give it an incredible natural timbre. Delightful - so this is what $3500 treble sounds like. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but while I prefer the LPG's brighter upper midrange, I can just sit back and listen to this treble endlessly.. I think it's that good.

So all in all, the AK380 is without a doubt technically better, more refined and more resolving. Not to mention that incredible stage and beautiful timbre. But due to its tonality, I still prefer the LPG for a lot of my favorite genres, as I listen to a lot of rock and electronic music for instance. It is more stimulating and 'exciting' due to its forward and brighter presentation. The AK380 on the other hand I find better for smooth jazz, singer/songwriter type music, or classic rock to name a few. They're different enough to be complimentary. Needless to say, now that I've heard it I'm going to do my utmost best to get one :wink: 
I find it has a typical well implemented AKm4490 sound which is quite impressive in terms of detail, clarity, stage width and treble sparkle without edge. I think some cheaper AK4490 achieve almost that but of course without being so pretty. What I think it lacks sometimes is depth to the stage and grunt / power, both qualities which makes the LPG more engaging.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #6,578 of 9,040
I find it has a typical well implemented AKm4490 sound which is quite impressive in terms of detail, clarity, stage width and treble sparkle without edge. I think some cheaper AK4490 achieve almost that but of course without being so pretty. What I think it lacks sometimes is depth to the stage and grunt / power, both qualities which makes the LPG more engaging.

Try the CU, which honestly matches the LPG's musicality.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #6,581 of 9,040
  Can anybody compare a RWAK380 to a AK380cu, or just give an indication of which would be significantly better and in which way?

You can use the search the thread....post #5091.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #6,582 of 9,040
I purchased it from Crank_It_UP_Audio

Correction, I purchased it from World Wide Stereo an authorized seller.. this was pure luck on my part I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back