Astell&Kern AK380
Sep 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #6,556 of 9,041
Need some advice, unfortunately, mine doesn't work consistently at all... I reached out to Astell&Kern (very responsive) and they suggest shipping it to them but I'm wondering is it just better to have the dealer (had it for two days) replace my unit and let them deal with replacing the faulty unit with Astell&Kern.

What email should I use to contact A&K? 
Thanks,

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #6,557 of 9,041
Oct 1, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #6,559 of 9,041
Is there the difference in the sound of the firmware 1.32 compared to 1.31?
From what I recall the update was for their recorder, nothing to do with the sound.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #6,560 of 9,041
Is the amp for the ak380 worth getting?

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #6,563 of 9,041
I was actually going to differ lol. I used to have a black 380+ amp combo, and now I run a player 380CU only set up.
The amp, in my opinio, was a poorly designed addition. Not only is it structurally poorly designed, its too weak to power headphones, and the improvements you get on an iem is contradictory to the amps main purpose.

My advise, get the player itself, then get a good strap on amp. You get the best performance that way.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #6,564 of 9,041
I was actually going to differ lol. I used to have a black 380+ amp combo, and now I run a player 380CU only set up.
The amp, in my opinio, was a poorly designed addition. Not only is it structurally poorly designed, its too weak to power headphones, and the improvements you get on an iem is contradictory to the amps main purpose.

My advise, get the player itself, then get a good strap on amp. You get the best performance that way.
Based off what I've read this is the consensus. I'll hold off, put my money to better use.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #6,565 of 9,041
An awesome thing happened yesterday. I sent my original AK380 copper back because it was a defective unit which totaled 4K. I then search around to get a new one because the dealer didn't have anymore in stock. I searched eBay and found one for 3199 new but damaged box, I reached out and asked if they'd sell it for 2600 and they accepted the offer. They relisted the device several times based on what they told me and just needed to get it out of inventory. Remember it never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is say "no". Proud owner a my new AK380 copper for 2600, basically same price as the AK240SS on the market now.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #6,566 of 9,041
Needing some advice - interested in an AK player - just want to play FLAC, not bothered about DSD or anything - would I be better off with a 'cheaper' AK model with Wolfson DAC(s) or is it worth going all out for the AK380? 

I'm attracted to the AK380 because of the storage capacity and the fact it can be used with the CD ripper - I find putting my music on external hard drives a bit of a faff and keeping it completely separate from my laptop would be a bonus, but what a price...

The cheaper alternative would be to get an iBasso DX80 and pair it with a Chord Hugo, although that, of course, would mean laptop / music files / external HDs etc - but it would be cheaper.

Anyway, if a lesser AK model would give me just as good a sound with FLAC it might be the way to go for ease of use - any advice gratefully received.

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #6,567 of 9,041

It was just another firmware for the AK recorder. Finally I got the recorder to do something useful as a combination of this firmware and my discovery that ALL of the bundled XLR cables are wired wrongly! I sourced my own big XLR to mini XLR cables and now finally I can actually record something more than static and hiss.

now it records without noise?

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #6,569 of 9,041
An awesome thing happened yesterday. I sent my original AK380 copper back because it was a defective unit which totaled 4K. I then search around to get a new one because the dealer didn't have anymore in stock. I searched eBay and found one for 3199 new but damaged box, I reached out and asked if they'd sell it for 2600 and they accepted the offer. They relisted the device several times based on what they told me and just needed to get it out of inventory. Remember it never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is say "no". Proud owner a my new AK380 copper for 2600, basically same price as the AK240SS on the market now.

Can you link me the seller please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back