Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Jul 20, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #511 of 779
Quick pic from the 3GS that I'm currently listening to.. (too lazy to bust out the D200, tripod, and remote shutter)

ADDIEMEar.jpg

It's quite unobtrusive. I like it too much right now to reseat it and take another picture of the traditional fit.

Isolation is very good. My isolation is pretty much perfect with the included small tips, worn over the ear and upside down. Easily comparable to the iM716s I had before (which were easily comparable to the ER4 I had even earlier) with Shure SoftFlex tips.

These might as well be the KSC75 of the IEM world. It occupies the same tier in relation to other market contenders. You could tell someone to just buy the ADDIEMs and be done with it.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #512 of 779
I've just had confirmation from ACS that they can make custom sleeves to fit the apples.

Unfortunately there's no way i'd receive them before going on leave, I might get some when I get back.

As an aside can anyone with the Sony ex33 confirm that they come with a full set of Sony hybrids? In the UK I can buy the headphones for less than a set of hybrid tips but I'd like to know if you get a complete set of all 4 sizes?

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #514 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjohnston /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just had confirmation from ACS that they can make custom sleeves to fit the apples.

Unfortunately there's no way i'd receive them before going on leave, I might get some when I get back.

As an aside can anyone with the Sony ex33 confirm that they come with a full set of Sony hybrids? In the UK I can buy the headphones for less than a set of hybrid tips but I'd like to know if you get a complete set of all 4 sizes?

I got a free pair (via Sony points) of the EX36B, which retail for $29.99, and they came with a four-pair set (SS, S, M, L). Best I can tell you.

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #515 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick pic from the 3GS that I'm currently listening to.. (too lazy to bust out the D200, tripod, and remote shutter)

ADDIEMEar.jpg

It's quite unobtrusive. I like it too much right now to reseat it and take another picture of the traditional fit.

Isolation is very good. My isolation is pretty much perfect with the included small tips, worn over the ear and upside down. Easily comparable to the iM716s I had before (which were easily comparable to the ER4 I had even earlier) with Shure SoftFlex tips.

These might as well be the KSC75 of the IEM world. It occupies the same tier in relation to other market contenders. You could tell someone to just buy the ADDIEMs and be done with it.

I am with you 3X0, as are many posters on this thread. It's almost laughable that you can get these for $30 on ebay (sans coupon). I just bought another pair, as backup for my teenager, and they were $29.99 shipped. I recently went on a discount IEM search, buying the UE Metro.Fi 200v and the Altec-Lansing UHP 336 (rebranded UE Super.Fi 3s with some differences), and the ADDIEMs crush them in my view. I had paid $25 for the UEs and $35 for the ALs. Someone asked how they compare with the er6i and phones in the $80 range, and my view is, get two pair of thes while you can from the ebay sellers.'

My only difference with 3X0 is I need to use the hybrid or Comply tips, don't like the stock silicones.

Sorry for going on, but these phones are category (under $100) killers in my view.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #516 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for going on, but these phones are category (under $100) killers in my view.

Probably. They're better than my iM716s were, and in the case where both the iM716 and ADDIEM are amped the ADDIEM would likely be able to compete by my current evaluation. And the iM716 is derived from the much-acclaimed ER4 series, and is quite the monster when amped.. this only speaks to how good the ADDIEM is, not any ill of the competition.

Anyway, with this I'm probably going to be done with universal IEMs for a while. I went as high as the IE 8, and apparently the IE 8 is on the echelon comprising the TF10pro, SE530, UM3X, and W3. I don't find the differences significant enough for me to worry or be unhappy with moving down. Don't get me wrong, the IE 8 is definitely a much better IEM in nigh every aspect (except isolation; instrument separation is probably par between the two as well), but I think it'd be more worthwhile to invest the price difference in full-size headphones for a greater return.

The differences between the ADDIEM and something higher amidst IEMs like the UM3X, I imagine, would likely be somewhat akin to the differences between the KSC75 and a ~$200 Grado. I have no backing for this as I've never heard the UM3X, but I DO know my IE 8 was something like that against the ADDIEM, though the sound signature is totally different.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #518 of 779
Nice first post. Welcome to Head-Fi. If you don't agree, fine. But that post really doesn't say much of anything, and to be honest, if 3X0 or anyone else feels that way, it's true for them. Plus, if you have owned both phones, let us know why you disagree. Would love to hear your POV. Three people on this thread, including the OP, have owned IE8s, and no longer own them, but we all have the ADDIEMs still (among other phones).

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #519 of 779
Unfortunately where I am (Singapore), it is almost impossible to get a pair of these anywhere near the $30 price. Apple store sells them for ~$80, and the best price I've seen on ebay shipped to me is ~$60.

Wondering if any nice soul (prob from the US) would be willing to ship these to me
happy_face1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #520 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by broodwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any photos of the Apple IEMs in this thread or elsewhere? I'm particularly interested in a photo or two with them inserted in the ear.

Click on the link in my sig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by broodwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also how is the isolation on the Apple IEMs? Can anyone compare it to other IEMs, the ER6i or q-jays for example?

Look for ClieOS's comparative reviews.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #521 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately where I am (Singapore), it is almost impossible to get a pair of these anywhere near the $30 price. Apple store sells them for ~$80, and the best price I've seen on ebay shipped to me is ~$60.

Wondering if any nice soul (prob from the US) would be willing to ship these to me
happy_face1.gif

That's about the price of what I paid for mine (to Malaysia that is). It is still cheaper than paying Apple, so it is still worth it (though not as good as the U.S. price).

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #522 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's about the price of what I paid for mine (to Malaysia that is). It is still cheaper than paying Apple, so it is still worth it (though not as good as the U.S. price).

Im the worm crawling out of the apple
smily_headphones1.gif
. I bought the same dual drive Apple IEM's and used the medium plugs for a perfect seal. When I first opened them I was amazed a thes size and quality of them (metal components and so finely machined). I thought to myself how the hell do they get a speaker and tweeter inside that.

When I tried them out on some rap / rock / soundtrack music I was completely amazed at their audio quality and the heavy bass as well. The seemed to me to be crystal clear and very impressive for the dimunitive size. I wonder actually who developed and made them as no other brand is this physical size on the market. The audio punch was amazing. Here in Australia these cost AU$110 and very few stores except Apple stores / Apple online actuall sell them, so hard to get. I now have the Sennheiser IE7's which naturally are a higher quality and more expensive IEM thats for sure, so I use my Apple in-ear IEM's sometimes and keep them as a backup pair.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #523 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by FidelityFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder actually who developed and made them as no other brand is this physical size on the market.

As far as two ways dual transducers IEM goes, only q-JAYS are smaller just by a tiny bit.

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #524 of 779
I am not a hardcore audiophile, but I like nice sound. My home rig is 2 channel, with a Rowland Capri/102 pre/amp, fed strictly digital music (mostly high bitrate or lossless) via Apple TV/Benchmark DAC1, and piped into B&W 683s. The sound is lovely and the setup is blissfully simple and direct.

Whatever.

For ear buds, I had been happy with Sennheiser CX300s for quite a while. When the first iPhone came along, I even got a pair of them grafted to a stock iPhone cable.

Then I scored a pair of Denon C700s and was blown away. For mostly aesthetic reasons, I opted not to graft them to an iPhone cable. The Denon cable is too nice to butcher. And the silver buds wouldn't match. And I was especially hesitant because I got the Denons for $35 on Ebay, waaay back before they were on the radar, and I know they'd be impossible to replace at that price now.

So I held onto the CX300 graft job and used it with the next iPhone I got; the 3G.

Along came the Apple in-ears. I bought them. I was underwhelmed. The highs were airy and tight, but the lows lacked, well, low, especially having come from CX300s and the Denons.

But the AIEs fit nicely and sealed a bit better than the CX300s, so I began using them as my full time iPhone buds.

Fast forward to June of this year and the release of the iPhone 3Gs. Got one. Now the volume rocker works on the In Ear remote. Love that. Another small tweak that Apple helped sell the 3Gs side-grade to upgrade sluts like myself.

One day recently I misplaced the AIEs. Turns out they were in the cargo pocket of a pair of pants in the laundry hamper. I didn't discover that for 2 days. So for those 2 days, I went back to the CX300 graft job.

After listening to the In Ears for several months, the CX300s sounded positively absurd. The bass was cartoonish. Mids were muddy, highs were tinny.

Then I popped in the old Denon C700s for comparison. Again, the bass overwhelmed the sound for me. The signature was much more mature than the "fun" CX300s, but the lows were still way out of proportion IMO.

After finding the Apples in the hamper, I quickly went back to using them full time, and what a relief it was. Ok, to be fair, they still could use a bit more low end, but compared to the Senn 300s and Denons, they are a refined cool customer, and come much closer to the sound of my modest little home setup, which never shakes the room with bass, but always lets me know whats going on down there with subtle authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back