Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 5, 2009 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 779

montell

100+ Head-Fier
I recently downgraded from IE8 to Apple IEms and what can I say other then the fact that I am pleasantly surprised by them. Two gripes I had with the IE8 was that 1) they dont isolate at all and 2) their bass is way way too overwhelming. When listening to tunes in public I was just hearing the bass pumping in my ears and nothing else. It just wasnt worth the money when I couldnt even enjoy their soundstage.

I said that I downgraded from the IE8... in my opinion I actually upgraded to them. These iems are the most comfortable iems I have ever used. I could wear these for hours without trouble. They are very light, small and stylish. The bass is one of the smoothest bass I have ever heard. The whole sound signature is just very smooth and comforting. On the bus I was actually phasing out into my own world were I was just listening to tunes and relaxing. They isolate very well. This was something I couldnt do with the IE8. I much prefer the whole presentation of the sound to the IE8. The Apple IEMS are very comfortable, easy to use, they isolate very well and their SQ is very very pleasant to listen to. I am very happy that I bought them.

I rate the Apple IEM as a low top tier IEM. If anyone is familiar with the sound signature of the PK2 well they share similar sound signatures.

I actually have a feeling that SA6, ER4, PFE, AT CK10, q-jays and Apple IEM arent all too different from each other. But these Apple Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic can actually been had for 50-60 bucks per pop on ebay. Making them pound for pound a very good IEM. Btw the ipod touch is already the best portable device you can buy. Coupled with these IEMs and that new bluetooth firmware its only going to get better.

Excuse the telegram style post.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) they dont isolate at all

This is very strange. Are you sure that you got a proper fit with the IE8s?

IEMs, even lower-end one should provide at least a bit of isolation if inserted properly.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 779
please let me know if apple has any opening, :p

j/k aside, can't quite comment on the dual driver, but the stock myphonies w/ mic that comes with iphone is bad, on the good side it requires less power to drive than other headphones

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 779
I think he is talking about the 80 dollar Dual drive IEMS, not the stock ibuds. The 80 dollar pair has fascinated me because it would be useful with the remote and mic and also its fairly cheap but with the crappy quality associated with apple buds, they seem taboo.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently downgraded from IE8 to Apple IEms and what can I say other then the fact that I am pleasantly surprised by them. Two gripes I had with the IE8 was that 1) they dont isolate at all and 2) their bass is way way too overwhelming. When listening to tunes in public I was just hearing the bass pumping in my ears and nothing else. It just wasnt worth the money when I couldnt even enjoy their soundstage.

I said that I downgraded from the IE8... in my opinion I actually upgraded to them. These iems are the most comfortable iems I have ever used. I could wear these for hours without trouble. They are very light, small and stylish. The bass is one of the smoothest bass I have ever heard. The whole sound signature is just very smooth and comforting. On the bus I was actually phasing out into my own world were I was just listening to tunes and relaxing. They isolate very well. This was something I couldnt do with the IE8. I much prefer the whole presentation of the sound to the IE8. The Apple IEMS are very comfortable, easy to use, they isolate very well and their SQ is very very pleasant to listen to. I am very happy that I bought them.

I rate the Apple IEM as a low top tier IEM. If anyone is familiar with the sound signature of the PK2 well they share similar sound signatures.

I actually have a feeling that SA6, ER4, PFE, AT CK10, q-jays and Apple IEM arent all too different from each other. But these Apple Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic can actually been had for 50-60 bucks per pop on ebay. Making them pound for pound a very good IEM. Btw the ipod touch is already the best portable device you can buy. Coupled with these IEMs and that new bluetooth firmware its only going to get better.

Excuse the telegram style post.

How much burn in hours those IE8's received? Make sure they received at least 250+ hours. I still think their bass is overpowering when their fully burned in.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 779
you know what? if someone does not like a product, even burn in will not affect it. sometimes a product is just not for someone. it sounds like this fellow is more happy with a cheaper and more all round iem like the apple iem that can do calls as well as remote.

i am interested in at least hearing them!

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 779
Yup, there seem to be two distinct preferences when it comes to iem's, some prefer a natural, cold accurate sound say er4's sleeks and the pfe while others prefer a warmer more fun sound ala ie8,w3 or se530.

What is one man's meat is another man's poison, it's why im tempted with the ie7/ie8 as when i tire of the sleeks i can use something else instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 779
as much as apple's ability in making some nice ipods , but i don't have much to say about their ibuds or their new iem.

you could be better off with other brands , in terms of sound quality and comfort issue.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 779
Steve Jobs said they were good so I believe him.
wink.gif
But really I was wondering what someone thought of these iems. I like that they have the mic and remote inline. But they don't work with the iphone 3g. Maybe the next iphone...

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 779
Quite surprising assessment.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 779
The only thing that worrys me about these is the cord. I hope it is a lot better than the ones on the stock iBuds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back