Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Jul 17, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #496 of 779
Yes, you can adjust the bass on the IE8, but without a good seal (which I couldn't get with any of the stock tips) the knob doesn't make much of a difference.

And IMO, while the ADDIEM is nice, especially for the used price, it doesn't compare with the IE8 except maybe in instrument separation. But I could see someone preferring the ADDIEM as it really comes down to personal preference, fit, equipment paired with, and source music (both genre and quality).

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #497 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know what? if someone does not like a product, even burn in will not affect it. sometimes a product is just not for someone. it sounds like this fellow is more happy with a cheaper and more all round iem like the apple iem that can do calls as well as remote.

i am interested in at least hearing them!

Nice point and to add to what you said:

In the time I have spent here, and the experience I have gained and this is just my opinion. When someone says give them 100 hours or 200 hours or 500 hours break-in. I RUN far far away from it. This break in stuff is true to some extent but seriously I don't want to work so hard to getting the sound I want. Basically you are just being told to "get used to the sound" through hours and hours of suffering through them.

Odds are you will get used to it and just keep them. I realize these are dynamic earphones but darn why should they need 250+ hours? Won't a decent 10 hours suffice? These are not some 15" dynamic driver with large parts and 1" excursion to have to break in so extensively.

Do yourself a favor and sometimes trust yourself.

The other thing about IEMs in my years of using them: If they don't isolate they don't provide the NUMBER ONE benefit of using an IEM over a closed phone or other phone. A non-isolating IEM is pointless unless you want to hear the world around you more than your music. You are better off with $15 KSC-75 in that case which sound good and give you the ability to hear around you. THERE IS NOTHING MORE DISAPPOINTING than an IEM that does not isolate IMHO. The whole point is to increase you S/N ratio in listening.

I have been influenced in the past by appreciation thread this and appreciation thread that and everyone heaping praise getting their nether regions wet over this or that phone and then listening to "break it in for X thousand hours" etc. and just found myself disappointed.

Always be mindful of the fact that they might not be for you.

That being said advice to try a different tip actually makes a big difference in fit and sound. But still the fundamental issues still persist if the sonics are not what you want. Comply tips can help isolation and fit and sound, but they are not miracle workers.

One other thing, if an IEM does not fit you well no matter what you try: THEY ARE NOT FOR YOU. There is nothing more annoying in this world than an IEM that does not fit you. You will be miserable, the experience often will even be painful with you adjusting it every 2 minutes. YOU WILL GET SORE EARS from it.

IEMs are a very personal decision and sometimes a model that legitimately sounds excellent in one person's ears may sound terrible in another person's ears.

I needed to post this so that people don't make the same expensive mistakes I made. Use the return policy and get something you like.

I'm not saying don't try running it 24/7 for a week and try if you want to give it a try but it won't drastically change anything. Especially if you find it too bassy. If anything break-in fixes bass that is too light not the other way around. Think of the physics behind break-in.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #498 of 779
Hell yes, the ADDIEM is wayyyyy underrated. It's good, better than anything I've own before. I've tried UEs before and, sadly, none of them fits my ear well. Having tried the UM1 before, I think it's great. And when compared to the ADDIEM, I think it's a close call.

I am working at an Apple shop and customers always question me about its SQ because they are all skeptical about the SQ of it due to Apple's bad reputation when it comes to earphones. So I'll just pull out mine and let them try it. And most of them were impressed and bought it. And some of them are high-end IEM users, looking for something with a mic to fit their iPhones.

This is, by far, the most bang-for-your-bucks product Apple has ever made.

P.S. And now with LOD to FiiO E5 amp with iPhone 3G as my source, the ADDIEM sounds better than ever. Bass is finally loud enough for me. Found it quite weak previously.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #499 of 779
I've got to say I think the ADDIEMs are both the best and worst IEMs I own.

When I got them at first I tried them out and loved the sound, but since that one occasion I've never been able to get a good seal and the 'phones keep slipping out.

I may try some other tips (if I can source them in the UK) but I've also been thinking about trying to have custom sleeves made by ACS as I think that would help keep them in my ears.

On the other hand I may simply pass them to my Girlfriend in the hope that she can use them and get myself some HF2s and then have them Custom fit in the future.

Any thoughts?

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #500 of 779
Seems like most people have trouble with the stock tips. The Sony EPEX10A tips work well for most, including myself. I also find the Shure olives provide all the benefits of the Sony tips, just require a little different placement.

Speaking of placement, it is important with the ADDIEM. And I find a proper fit/placement is easier to get when they are worn with the cable over the ear. I would try to make what you have work as the ADDIEM can be a very good sounding IEM.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #501 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjohnston /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got to say I think the ADDIEMs are both the best and worst IEMs I own.

When I got them at first I tried them out and loved the sound, but since that one occasion I've never been able to get a good seal and the 'phones keep slipping out.

I may try some other tips (if I can source them in the UK) but I've also been thinking about trying to have custom sleeves made by ACS as I think that would help keep them in my ears.

On the other hand I may simply pass them to my Girlfriend in the hope that she can use them and get myself some HF2s and then have them Custom fit in the future.

Any thoughts?

I tried the Sony hybrid and they kept slipping out especially while bike riding on hot days. Try the Complies. I think the T-100 or whatever model fits the Phonak PFE works great for me. I have no problem keeping them in with good seal even while sweating.

YMMV

cheers
Bixby

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #502 of 779
Or instead of Comply's the olives actually sound better with the ADDIEM IMO and have a much lower cost of ownership since the foam is denser/harder. It takes about a month for the Comply's to need a cleaning whereas I have never cleaned my olives (except a light surface clean) and they seem to be exactly as they were when I got them.

They just don't go all the way on, I jam them on the filter part and they stay put quite well. Biggest negative is they don't fit in the triangle case with the olives.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #503 of 779
I'll try and get hold of some Sony hybrids and some Comply tips and see how it goes.

As an aside the cable sheething has come away on the left earphone. I could fix it with some superglue but I think I'll take them back and see what Apple have to say.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #509 of 779
Got mine in the mail today.. you guys weren't kidding when you said these things have no real flaws. The bass is also excellent through my XXS. I'm damn satisfied, especially for $20 (post coupons). These will definitely hold me over until the HF-2.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #510 of 779
Are there any photos of the Apple IEMs in this thread or elsewhere? I'm particularly interested in a photo or two with them inserted in the ear. It turns out most sites do not post photos of their IEMs inserted in the ear. I don't know why? Also I haven't found a lot of threads on Head-Fi were people take photos of their IEMs inserted.

Also how is the isolation on the Apple IEMs? Can anyone compare it to other IEMs, the ER6i or q-jays for example?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back