Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Jun 27, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #466 of 779
Apples new IEMS aren't too bad. I'm planning on getting them just because I don't want to take my SF5 pros everywhere, plus it doesn't have a mic for my iPhone.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #467 of 779
I have purchased ADDIEMs a couple of days ago, and had ample time to compare them with my Denon C751, so here's my two cents. I guess the best thing to say is that these two sets of earphones couldn't possibly be more different from each other. C751 look monstrous in comparison, heavy, dark, metal, as opposed to bright, transparent, and gentle look of ADDIEMs, and I thought it was funny that the sound output pretty much matched the appearance 100% in both cases. C751 have what sounds like an order of magnitude heavier bass than ADDIEMs, and at first I really thought that was the deal breaker, and that ADDIEMs are just not for me. However, I gave them a few days of listening, and I started to appreciate them more and more.

I started noticing that some of the more complex sound sequences, with bass mixing with strong guitars and voice, sounded muffled and mushy in C751s, but ADDIEMs always reproduced them clear as day, with a notable separation, clarity, and spaciousness of sound. I guess those dual drivers are put to some good use, where the single driver of C751 would mess things up when it had to reproduce sounds across the spectrum at the same time. ADDIEM bass wasn't threatening my inner ear, but I could hear everything really well instead, and yet bass was there, very controlled and nice sounding - just not very strong. Just as the bass sounds heavy on C751, so the highs just scream at you with them, whereas on ADDIEMs they sound more measured, and yet I actually think they are reproduced with better fidelity - I can notice some sounds in highs that I cannot with C751, which now actually sound like they could be distorting highs a bit. Also, as one would expect from the oppressive look of C751s, they tend to push the whole soundstage right into your head, whereas ADDIEMs have a lot more open and spaced soundstage. Even the silicon tips on ADDIEMs have much more gentle look and feel than those on C751 (which are more expensive earphones, let's not forget, or at least used to be when I got them last year). The silicon used is of much higher quality, and I found it created perfect seal with my ears, whereas C751 tips used hard, crappy rubber that I instantly replaced with somewhat better tips from my old CX300s.

Right now I am the crossroad where I should decide whether to keep ADDIEMs or return them for a refund, and I just don't know what to do. I really like how a lot of music sounds with them - for a recent example, I definitely prefer Goldfrapp's "Seventh Tree" album with them. Vocals and guitars really sound very clean and clear. I also like the remote/mic that works great with my Iphone 3GS, but that's not a huge factor. On the other hand, some of the electronic music and hip-hop just really fits C751s best. It's kind of hard to get into a real rocking mood with ADDIEMs, that you want to get into when listening to that kind of music. I cannot have both of these sets with me at the same time, C751s are big and somewhat impractical by themselves due to their heavy cable and mid-connector. I was toying with the idea of returning the ADDIEMs, and putting that money towards Klipsch Image X5, which cost about twice as much. Are they also twice as good though? Or even just as good? I've heard they have similar sound signature, but with a notably stronger bass, but I've also read from some people that ADDIEMs, due to their dual drives, sound better than many much more expensive earphones, which I can actually believe. X5 also cost about as much as I'm willing to pay for earphones, so X10, IE8, etc. are out of question for me. I am worried however that since X5s also use single driver, they could suffer from the same kind of problems as C751s, where complex sequences would sound muddled. Is there anyone here who could advise me should I get X5s instead of ADDIEMs?

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #468 of 779
So after about 2 months of pretty steady use, my ADDIEMs totally crapped out. The control bud simply does not work at all and the music coming thru them is very muted. Is it still easy to return these to an apple store as I no longer have a reciept, but I do still have the tips and case. Anyone tried recently. I am a pretty big apple fan- product wise, but my experiences with their CS is always horrible.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #469 of 779
All you can do is try. I am curious, because I had read someplace that they would give you new ones no questions asked, no receipt, etc. After all, it's their brand. I mean, as long as they are not abused, etc.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #470 of 779
Yeah you would think it should be that easy. Generally any time I have gone into an Apple Store looking for help, I get a "how dare you come in here" attitude. Basically they make you feel like owning the coolest products on the planet should be enough and if they don't work thats your problem.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #472 of 779
Oh don't confuse my little rant for not liking apple. I am pretty much a devote of their products- just not of how they handle their large customer base. Hopefully this shows that I am somewhat impartial. I do criticize apple where it is appropriate.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #473 of 779
I had to reiterate how much I like these phones, and they are a fantastic value. I just pulled them out for a 50-minute walk, hooked to my Clip/T4 combo, and with the bass boost on, no EQ, they sounded fantastic, especially on Smells Like Teen Spirit and Space Cowboy (old Steve Miller tune). A tremendous deal for anyone looking in the sub-$100 category in my view.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #474 of 779
Wanted to give an update on my Sony hybrid impressions from here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...ml#post5788389

I now prefer the Sony hybrids. The stock tips are little more dynamic and less clinical sounding than the Sony tips, but the Sony tips offer a slightly darker background and a bit more information into the recording. This is probably because the bass is a little more discrete and the tonal balance is a bit more neutral to my ears.

So much depends on fit though...it's really hard to know what other people are hearing.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #475 of 779
Just received mine this morning. Finally the real deal this time
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #476 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received mine this morning. Finally the real deal this time
biggrin.gif

Alright, looking forward to your thoughts. I think they are awesome for the under $40 price (here in the US). I would say the best, but I haven't heard nearly as many IEMs in that price range like you!

A comment on tips: I tried the Sony's last night and they are almost as good as the Shure olives for me. The bass on the olives is more controlled yet at the same level. The Sony's are easier to insert (no squeezing and waiting for expansion, not that it is a big deal) and result more placement options as the olives sound their best in one sweet spot for me. Comfort is a push.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #477 of 779
One other tip I really like with the ADDIEMs is the weirdly shaped Comply T130s, which were made for the PFEs. I had some larges sitting around that I bought for the PFEs, and I tried them on the ADDIEMs and they are a fantastic match. You can get them at the Phonak Audeo site for $13 free shipping CONUS (3 pair). Just in case anyone is looking for a foamie other than the olives.

Yes, looking forward to ClieOS review, especially compared to all the Asian low-cost phones, only one of which I have owned (the PL30s, which I didn't care much for).

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #478 of 779
I bought 2 sets of replacements from this website :

Silicone Apple In-Ear Headphones Replacement Ear Tips / Ear buds

They are definitely not the same as the originals (the silicon is transparent instead of opaque) and they look a bit cheaper but they do the job...

As for sound quality, I haven't really done any A/Bing with the stock tips yet, too busy enjoying the bass in the Turbine
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #480 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I had the Turbines but just couldn't get into them like others have. Not bad, of course. Just not something I cared to keep.

Two different beasts to be sure! The Turbine just appeal to the basshead inside of me ; but at anything higher than 99$ CAD, I would have never bought them. The ADDIEM, on the other hand, I still feel that for all that they give, the MSRP is warranted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back