Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Sep 21, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #631 of 779
Hello,

I'd like to ask for some clarity on these "new" ADDIEMs. Is there a new model number/type we should be looking for on the packaging? I want to buy it from Best Buy since I can return it in-store, but also get zero interest financing and use my rewards card, but BB has been known to have older stock of materials than say the Apple Store. So if I go to Best Buy, are all the $79.99 Apple IEMs with volume control the same or is there a rev.1 and a rev.2 that I should be looking for?

I have Westone UM3Xs which I have now decided will be primarily for use with the iPod Classic because that is where all my music is. But I also have 1/3 of my library on my iPhone but I want to be able to control volume, skip songs and answer calls without using another pair of wires (I bought the Monster solution which works well but is bulky) to my headphones. So I figure the Apple ADDIEM is the best way to go for now, clearly won't measure up to my UM3Xs but will at least get me much closer than the stock buds that came with the iPhone.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Should I save my $80?

Thanks!

EDIT - Here is the Best Buy link to the product, is this the product everyone here is talking about in a positive manner?

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #633 of 779
Plastic plug as opposed to what other kind of plug? I'm sorry since I've never purchased these I don't know what to look for. Could someone please post a picture of what berniebennybernard is referring to?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for the ones with the plastic plug near the end.

On my label it says MA850G/A.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #635 of 779
There are not v1 and v2 of the Apple in-ear dual drivers. There is only one version, and this is it....
Apple - iPod - In-Ear Headphones

Then, there is an older Apple model of lousy in-ears (Apple's first attempt at improving the iBuds), and they look like something like this....there is no way Best Buy is selling these phones.
NEW IN-EAR HEADPHONES EARPHONES FOR APPLE IPOD BASS SET - eBay (item 220476049868 end time Oct-04-09 07:42:19 PDT)

In fact, I checked BB online, and they have the real ones on sale for $79.99.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #637 of 779
Sep 24, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #639 of 779
Well, i just got my ADDIEMs today which i bought from ebay new. the seller said they were leftovers from apple gift basket at a corporate meeting. I can say their genuine, because i have compared them with my father's and they sound and feel the same.

I bought these because they DO have meshcaps.

I must say, these are one of the most underrated IEMs on the market. they preform!

Has anyone noticed that they are a tad under-driven by ipods? i plugged mine into my Mini3, and boy did it warm up! I still like them unamped though.
either way, they're DETAILED. i'm not new to IEMs, but i'm noticing things i my music with these than i have with others!

I can't get over how warm and balanced these are! They're on the same level of awesomeness as my SF.5 pro at a quarter of the price!

For the first time in a while, i'm completely satisfied with what i have bought. not a qualm. i paid $44, but even if i had paid the retail $70-80, i would probably still be satisfied.

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #641 of 779
Cool thanks everyone for the clarification on the "stealth" update. Hopefully my nearby Best Buy has the newest version. I look forward to buying one of these soon and comparing it with my UM3X (which will stay on my iPod).

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #642 of 779
Well, I just got my real pair and I admit they do sound fine however the sound is a bit cold or short if you know what I mean!? Notes seem to stop too fast, I like it when the sound kind of lingers on like my tube setup with the big old Infinity Reference Standards giving room for all the microdetail in the world, with their super highresolutioned EMIT and EMIM drivers in the mid and top. My AKG K412 performs better in that respect and they also seem to be very sensitive to exactly where they are in the ear. To deep, to muddy, to shallow to lightwieght. The bassextension and the quality of the bass is awsome though and so is the clarity and musicality. I've only listened to them for a few minutes but they seem good. But, hey, the microphonics in these are sick!! I have to hold the cords to be able to hear how they sound for real and if I put them upside down they don't sound as full which is bad Anyone have any good ideas on how to solve that?

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #643 of 779
They also lack ability to resolve complex parts around the midrange and can become canny or plasticy with some material. Mens quire and vocals can become to canny and messed up. Don't know if iphones amp is sufficent. Also ther is a bit of a veil but that could be the iPhone 3 gs since I've heard that with both k412 and k701. They are not as fluent or lucid as the akg's.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #644 of 779
If you find ADDIEM too cold, try some foam tips. It kills a little bit of treble in exchange for a warmer mid and fuller bass, which I consider to worth the effort.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #645 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find ADDIEM too cold, try some foam tips. It kills a little bit of treble in exchange for a warmer mid and fuller bass, which I consider to worth the effort.

That would be interesting. I read this thread thru and saw the almost endless discusson on various tips. I'll be looking in to that when I get the time. It's not obvious too me where I should start looking for different tips since I live in Sweden. Thanks for the tip though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back