Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Aug 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #601 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowghost6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the latest ADDIEM convert. I originally ordered the new SoundMagic PL-50 from Focalprice, but they canceled my order.

Paid $30 shipped on Ebay from Gamernation. They appear genuine (and if they're not, they sound fantastic for fakes). The IEMs themselves are in great condition, but the carrying is a bit scratched up. I have trouble getting a good seal with silicone tips (from all manufacturers), so I'm currently using Shure olives with them.

The only other pair of IEMs I currently own are Shure SCL4. In the past I've owned: Soundmagic PL30, Nuforce NE-7m, Etymotic er6i.

The ADDIEM sound most similar to the Etymotic er6i, but with more bass. I would definitely recommend them to er6 fans. The NE-7m still has a good amount more bass than the ADDIEM, so bassheads should definitely choose that. The ADDIEM sound better in every other area though. I definitely prefer them over the NE-7m.

I'm a bit surprised by all the volume complaints. I use them around 30% volume on iPhone.

How would you compare these to the scl4? I used to be a big fan of the scl4 sound.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #602 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare these to the scl4? I used to be a big fan of the scl4 sound.

The ADDIEM are a bit more balanced and neutral sounding. The SCL4 has rolled off highs and lows (like everyone says). The ADDIEM can't match the luscious mids of the Shures. Overall I prefer the sound quality of the SCL4, but the Apples are much cheaper so it's not really a fair comparison. I bought them solely to use with my iphone.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #603 of 779
I've had the E4c for a couple of years now and one thing I would love to have is the mic/remote capability, especially as we're nearing the end of Summer(!) now and the rain is coming and the dark nights when you want to keep your phone in your pocket all the way home.
I've just bought some Shure Olives so would use those to stop the ADDIEMs from falling out all the time.
Would these be a worthwhile as a replacement to the E4c, or should I spend more cash and go for something else with a mic/remote like a UE Triple-Fi or the Shure SE530s with the adaptor?

Audio quality is my priority (albeit with an un-amp'ed 3GS), followed by the convenience of the mic/remote

thanks,

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #604 of 779
Mine came yesterday -- just the IEM with no accessories except for a pair of filters. I'm pretty sure they're genuine in every aspect from what I've read in this thread. The stock mid-sized tips are so big for my ear canals that I can hear my pulse. And these IEMs seem to require a deep insertion, otherwise the sound becomes tinny.

I found some VS-R02 tips today and were experimenting with them. They all fit quite well, though not so comfy as the stock Apple ones. The bi-flanges seal pretty well, but the distance between the filter nozzle and the top of the tip hides some of the precious bass. The foamies do not affect the SQ but again they are a bit too big for my ears -- in fact they resemble closely to half of an orange 3M ear plug, with a tube in the centre, of course.

Must get some small Sony hybrid tips I think but I see only black ones so far, and the aethestics is strange.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #605 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by prosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must get some small Sony hybrid tips I think but I see only black ones so far, and the aethestics is strange.

Sony makes white ones, too (see here and here).

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #606 of 779
Really quick, I got to check out some fake ADDIEMS in person today. As ClieOS said, they lack screw on mesh filters, and lack the middle button on their controls. Don't be fooled by packaging; the triangular case can be made to look identical to the real one.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #607 of 779
I'm planning on getting these, and I would like to know how these compare to MDR-EX85/EX90?

I have CX300, Vmoda vibe and MDR-EX85...

I don't like the Vmoda vibes cause it's sounds too muddy for me, but then again I find the MDR-EX85 lacks bass. Though I really like the CX300... but doesn't have an RC to control my iphone...

Does the ADDIEM sound kinda like the MDR-EX85 (IMO lacking bass) Cause if it is, then I can skip the ADDIEM's and search for something else...

I'm thinking about getting these and the NuForce NE-7M, but I'm kinda leaning towards the NuForce NE-7M, because of the bass...

thnx!

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #608 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw the ipod touch is already the best portable device you can buy.

Apple IEM may have been underrated. but ipod touch is simply not the best portable device to buy at all.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #609 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtbk9999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple IEM may have been underrated. but ipod touch is simply not the best portable device to buy at all.

Great first post.

And that statement can easily debated. It might not be the absolute best, but it's one of the most versatile devices out there, without sacrificing much SQ.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #610 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't mean to rain on this parade though, of course this is just one listener's op -- as always the best bet is to listen to them. If you have an Apple store near you, you can buy them & return in 2 weeks with nothing lost except time.

What is the return policy? No questions ask returns within 14 days? The reason I ask is because I'm deciding on selling my SE530s. I don't feel that I listen to music as much as I use to, and if the ADDIEMs satisfy my ears for a fraction of the price, I wouldn't mind selling them.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #611 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the return policy? No questions ask returns within 14 days? The reason I ask is because I'm deciding on selling my SE530s. I don't feel that I listen to music as much as I use to, and if the ADDIEMs satisfy my ears for a fraction of the price, I wouldn't mind selling them.

I did same a few months back. Sold my SE530's after trying some ADDIEM's for similar reasons but after living with them for a while I found them lacking something and have now gone back to some SE530's

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #612 of 779
What was missing for you? I don't think my ears may be as good as yours as I was always satisfied with even a lower tier pair of IEMs like the ER6i's and C700s. I think I got the SE530s for the sake of knowing I had one of the best universals in the world.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #613 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was missing for you? I don't think my ears may be as good as yours as I was always satisfied with even a lower tier pair of IEMs like the ER6i's and C700s. I think I got the SE530s for the sake of knowing I had one of the best universals in the world.

I'm useless at describing sound
frown.gif

The Shures have more, cleaner, punchy bass while I found the ADDIEM's a bit flat.

The Shures are pristine sharp & clear but the ADDIEM are also good in this respect.

The Shures just seem to deliver sound that is more real/electric.... as I said, I'm poor at describing sound! Its as if your in the room with the musicians with the Shures with some tracks, I don't get this sensation with the ADDIEM's.

Think if you had never listen to SE530's you'd be pleased with the ADDIEM's.

I blame this site for costing me a fortune as years ago I thought cheap apple earphones were OK
L3000.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #614 of 779
Bit silly to ask, but how do you unscrew the filters? Counter-clockwise?
I asked because I found them very tight with bare hands. My set isn't likely to be fake as the seller gave me a spare set of filters, which would only make sense for genuine ones.

And what are your cables like? Mine is sort of rubberised, and finishes with a (new style) hard plastic plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back