Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
May 16, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #601 of 862
Hmm, interesting to hear. The XM6 seems like a neat little unit, but it's hard to commit to somehow. The slim design of the Glacier just seems so convenient. Choices, choices. Thanks for getting back to me about that. I also just finished making my way through the whole thread and you really seem to contribute a lot, so thanks for that too 
biggrin.gif

As for the recently posted news of this not working with the GS4 International version, that's scary news. I've got a GS3 right now and soon I'll be moving to Asia, so I was looking at picking up GS4 once I touched down. I was looking forward to getting that Otca-core going and I was assuming that it would work with any of the USB DACs the S3 did, but I guess not? 

Now it probably is also like you mentioned, Fuzzy, but it's also shipping with the newest OS updates on it, ones that most GS3s don't even have. So that worries me that it might end up being a hardware compatibility issue and not an update issue. And ha, the other problem of it being a software update issue is that unless you're buying the GS4 Google Edition from Google Play, you're not likely to see those updates roll out from your carrier within your lifetime :p

Here's to hoping an answer is found soon though, because this single point is going to greatly affect which phone I buy in the next 2 months. 

May 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #602 of 862
Quote:
Hmm, interesting to hear. The XM6 seems like a neat little unit, but it's hard to commit to somehow. The slim design of the Glacier just seems so convenient. Choices, choices. Thanks for getting back to me about that. I also just finished making my way through the whole thread and you really seem to contribute a lot, so thanks for that too 
biggrin.gif

As for the recently posted news of this not working with the GS4 International version, that's scary news. I've got a GS3 right now and soon I'll be moving to Asia, so I was looking at picking up GS4 once I touched down. I was looking forward to getting that Otca-core going and I was assuming that it would work with any of the USB DACs the S3 did, but I guess not? 

Now it probably is also like you mentioned, Fuzzy, but it's also shipping with the newest OS updates on it, ones that most GS3s don't even have. So that worries me that it might end up being a hardware compatibility issue and not an update issue. And ha, the other problem of it being a software update issue is that unless you're buying the GS4 Google Edition from Google Play, you're not likely to see those updates roll out from your carrier within your lifetime :p

Here's to hoping an answer is found soon though, because this single point is going to greatly affect which phone I buy in the next 2 months. 

That is why I am excited about the S4 Google edition.
No garbage/junk/useless apps that already killed the phone (taking 1.75gb of the 2gb ram and still stock!)

May 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #603 of 862
Im just going to stick with my trusty s3 for a while until they sort the s4 problems out, the google s4 edition look interesting has anyone confirmed DAC support, the only reason Im wondering this is my nexus 7 had googles latest release but didn't have DAC support so I had to put smoothrom on it.

May 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #604 of 862
Quote:
Im just going to stick with my trusty s3 for a while until they sort the s4 problems out, the google s4 edition look interesting has anyone confirmed DAC support, the only reason Im wondering this is my nexus 7 had googles latest release but didn't have DAC support so I had to put smoothrom on it.

I think that it will also not work with an external DAC, but only time will prove me wrong/right.

May 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #606 of 862
I'd initially reported about the i9505 not working with the Apex, not sure if it has already been mentioned here but I can now confirm also that the i9500 doesn't work with it either.

May 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #607 of 862
Quote:
I'd initially reported about the i9505 not working with the Apex, not sure if it has already been mentioned here but I can now confirm also that the i9500 doesn't work with it either.

Yeah, I know I tested them myself and posted that a while ago, shame Samsung did this to us, but Why???
Maybe the Stock Android S4 will have USB audio support? I doubt it....
frown.gif

May 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #612 of 862
Quote:
Have you seen the display on the S4 yet? I have a Note 2 as well and S4 screen makes the Note 2 look like old tech..

Stop teasing us, please....
frown.gif

I am a Note 2 owner and was on the verge of getting the S4....

May 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #614 of 862
Off topic: Maybe not old but definitely a prior generation. The immediate difference is the sharpness of the FHD display (very apparent with text and PDFs for example) and that it is quite a lot brighter. I got the Note 2 myself in February as a business phone so haven't even had it that long.

Audio out of the Note 2 seems better to my ears so far though.

May 23, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #615 of 862
Quote:
Off topic: Maybe not old but definitely a prior generation. The immediate difference is the sharpness of the FHD display (very apparent with text and PDFs for example) and that it is quite a lot brighter. I got the Note 2 myself in February as a business phone so haven't even had it that long.

Audio out of the Note 2 seems better to my ears so far though.

I agree. Better separation and volume/power level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back