Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
May 5, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #587 of 862
Quote:
the international is iPod capable 0.0

Check on the ALO site. There's a video showing them mating an International  to a Classic using a LOD. It looked like they were plugging it into the DAC section. Of coarse what do I know I could be wrong.

May 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #589 of 862
Sold my Glacier. It is nice, really nice, and that's an understatement, but I just never use it, so it's too expensive to keep in a box. Thought about holding onto it to pair with the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One when I upgrade my phone in a couple months, but I really don't want to be carrying and worrying about another device on top of my phone.

May 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #590 of 862
Anyone has an HTC phone can use the DAC section of the Glacier? Please help me on this as I have a new HTC One and do not know where to start: buying a micro-micro usb or male micro- female usb to plug into the male usb - micro usb of the Glacier? Any software I need to install? 

Try the android phones and usb dac thread....many good info there. Anyway I'll quote danba's post here since the thread is quite long.....get the micro to micro OTG cable and its plug and play for the HTC One...any player should work out of the box.

USB OTG cables:
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=55

USB OTG-capable Android device > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> standard USB DAC

"Copper/Silver Series Android LOD made for connecting your Android device through digital out to external DAC. Features FAW custom made, gold plated Micro-B USB plug with OFC copper pins and USB connector of your choice. Check first if your Android device supports digital line out through USB OTG cable. For best ergonomics and orientation of plugs (if they should be inverted or not), write your setup in comment box at the checkout (Android device and external DAC)."

"All my cables work with Android devices like eg, Galaxy S3, HTC One etc. In all of them ID pin is connected to ground to enable digital line out."

=>

. Functional Micro-A plug, i.e. ID pin connected to ground, having the appearance of a Micro-B plug to Standard-B plug cable
. Functional Micro-A plug having the appearance of a Micro-B plug to Mini-B plug cable
. Functional Micro-A plug having the appearance of a Micro-B plug to Micro-B plug cable

Cables to connect a DAC to an amp:

Cables to connect an amp to headphones / IEM:

:

May 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #591 of 862
Quote:
Check on the ALO site. There's a video showing them mating an International  to a Classic using a LOD. It looked like they were plugging it into the DAC section. Of coarse what do I know I could be wrong.

Nah, the LoD plugs into the 3.5 input (the one near volume knob) and he uses balanced out for the earphone. Stop the clip at 0:23 and you will see.

Sold my Glacier. It is nice, really nice, and that's an understatement, but I just never use it, so it's too expensive to keep in a box. Thought about holding onto it to pair with the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One when I upgrade my phone in a couple months, but I really don't want to be carrying and worrying about another device on top of my phone.

Believe me, it is worth to try :wink:

Try the android phones and usb dac thread....many good info there. Anyway I'll quote danba's post here since the thread is quite long.....get the micro to micro OTG cable and its plug and play for the HTC One...any player should work out of the box.

Thank you very much, rckyosho. I think the one below will fit the HTC One and Glacier

http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/13/500x335px-LL-138410e0_55-252-thickbox.jpeg

May 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #592 of 862
I confirm that the international S4-4G does not work with the Glacier....
frown.gif

Edit : I also confirm that Samsung S4 international version-3G variant does not work with the Glacier.

May 10, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #595 of 862
May 10, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #596 of 862
Theres probably a issue with the new SoC and the USB controller, regarding the current version of Jellybean which I would guess is the same one as the one on S3 hopefully a Jellybean update will address this, I would guess its probably a case of compiling up more up to date USB modules for the new hardware.

May 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #598 of 862
Quote:
HTC One - T Mobile version

Confirm working with the Glac DAC via OTG cable

Very nice....Hope it will be the one to replace my Note2.

May 15, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #599 of 862
Quote:
I bought the s3 for a number of reasons, GPS when hiking/wlaking/biking (the S1 and S2 GPS is a bit naff) and a DAP (best to use it in airplane mode anyway, stops interference from the mobile network) but Ive also got a practical devices xm6 and PCStep which work with the S3 as well.

Hey Fuzzy, I'm right in the middle of figuring out what DAC/AMP combo I want to go with on my S3 you've got 3 of the 5 I've been looking at. Would you be able to tell me how you felt the S3 paired with the Glacier, XM6, and PCStep? Like comparatively, and which one did you like best?

Thanks a lot, I hope to gets some good ideas from you 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #600 of 862
I kinda like them all, I prefer to have options but for serious sit down listening the PCStep or the XM6 (in that order) , the apex glacier is quite energetic, they all pair fine and Neutron/Powewamp android mixer functions work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back