Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Jan 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #302 of 862
Hi Todd,

Thanks for clarifying. The two year warranty and support sound great. I just saw that I received an e-mail from you on this as well just now - thanks. I went back and deleted my comment since I don't want others to bump into any wrong impressions. 

Quote:
HI All,

The Glacier has a full 2 year warranty. We do all repairs on the units and support it fully. Also, you can defeat the usb draw from the Glacier - read the manual for how to do that and it will not draw any power through that usb port. The second port will then be used to charge the Glacier.

Todd

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #303 of 862
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/15#post_8799316

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #304 of 862
thanks!!! would turning off the charging feature lessen emi through a usb cable from a macbook? as if its not charging its less
an 'aerial' for emi/rmi? 

bottom line. i wonder would it improve the 'blackground' of the amp? 

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #305 of 862
I just put in my order on TTVJ for a Cypher Labs Algorithym Solo -db and Apex Glacier combo. It looks like it has already shipped. Can't wait to get it. Todd sure was very quick and thorough in answering all of my questions - great customer service.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #308 of 862
The DHL guy just came by with my Glacier that I picked up in the for sale-forums. It's much thinner than I had imagined! Haven't done much listening but my initial impression of the Glacier is very positive. Can't wait to spend some more time with it tonight.

Can anyone enlighten me regarding the various colours from the LED - what do they mean?

I had it charging first and it blinked in white. But when I plugged the USB cable into the "DAC" socket for some listening, it seemed to change colour depending on the volume yet it continued to flash in white. What's with the disco?

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #309 of 862
Each different color represents a volume step  : 
So the Glacier uses a microprocessor-controlled analog stepped attenuator.

Each of the 32 steps changes the volume level by a precise 2dB, and the gain difference between channels is less than ±0.2dB - compare that to normal pots that at best provide ±3dB!

The current volume setting is indicated by the color of the front-panel LED. In addition, you can select 0dB, 10dB, or 20dB of maximum gain at the press of a button, to accommodate all sources and headphone sensitivities. 

The DAC usb input draws power by default, to stop it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/285#post_9049101

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #310 of 862
Thanks a bunch! Seems I'm gonna have to ask Todd to hook me up with a manual.
redface.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #311 of 862
I have just tried the glacier with Todd's representant in Hong-Kong. Really nice design and build. However the print ink goes off too quickly, with barely a scratch. Anyways, I think with my iBasso DX100, or was not worth it. The amp is neat and sounds good, bu there is no real benefit over the IBasso amp IMO. I only had it a few minutes though...last thing, I think the changing LED colors are too much. Great product overall though.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #312 of 862
An external amp provides no real benefit to the dx-100? I do not have a dx however from what I have read here on head Fi the leckerton and also the tralucent provide a benefit over the dx 100. In that respect I would say that the Glacier should provide quite a bit of benefit.
How did you listen to the glacier through the dx 100? What type of files did you use and what headphones or iems?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #313 of 862
Quote:
I have just tried the glacier with Todd's representant in Hong-Kong. Really nice design and build. However the print ink goes off too quickly, with barely a scratch. Anyways, I think with my iBasso DX100, or was not worth it. The amp is neat and sounds good, bu there is no real benefit over the IBasso amp IMO. I only had it a few minutes though...last thing, I think the changing LED colors are too much. Great product overall though.

Earlier in this thread, I think it is, TTVJ said that they got a bad batch of housings with the ink problem and that they'll fix that.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #314 of 862
An external amp provides no real benefit to the dx-100? I do not have a dx however from what I have read here on head Fi the leckerton and also the tralucent provide a benefit over the dx 100. In that respect I would say that the Glacier should provide quite a bit of benefit.
How did you listen to the glacier through the dx 100? What type of files did you use and what headphones or iems?

It s funny how people want to tell you what you should hear. I tell you that is my perception. It is not à definite fact that an amp should improve the ibasso. In fact shizgeo did not argree. So please stick what YOU have tested. And tested on the glacier amp, not the dac, through the ibasso line out. Using 16 bit losless flac. It kind of gets on my nerve when people think they know better based only on what they have read.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #315 of 862
And that is what I had stated, what I have read.  Everyone hears things differently however you should likely reread my post to insure that you interpret it correctly.  What is really unnerving is when someone comes into an appreciation thread and after listening to a device for an unknown period of time and attempts to what appears to derail the thread.  You did not even explain how you tested the amp what type of files that were played, the headphones or iems used or the time that you listened to the amp for.  So please think about what you are posting before you post it, especially in an appreciation thread; or at a minimum state how it was tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back