Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Jan 11, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #287 of 862
Quote:

So, I got mine today :)

Had a brief listen to some of my go-to reference tracks, can easily say right now that this will suit my on-the-go listening extremely well. On-the-go I listen almost exclusively to rock and metal, and the PRaT and mids here excel in that area. Guitars "sound right" to my ear, which is super important both to those genres but also my own listening preferences as a guitarist myself. Drums also "sound right" to me, exhibiting the kind of punch and impact they should for the source material.

Will be most interested to do some A/B between this and the HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp combo (particularly now that a fix to allow the Pico to work with my Note 2 is available), which has previously stood out as my favourite portable.

Incidentally, that photo was taken by my other new toy, a Nokia 808 (my second actually, sold the first quickly, but regretted it since for those times when I need a very high quality camera-phone and to record concert audio since it has distortionless audio capture up to 145dB). Remarkable camera on that thing, the colour reproduction there is absolutely spot on, detail level is awesome, and there is just no noise to speak of - in fact my Panasonic FZ-100 shots are noisier than those from the 808 in most conditions. Not yet tested the Apex with the 808, but I expect it will work with it.

beerchug.gif
 & 
atsmile.gif
 =
popcorn.gif
I really like what I see, referring to the quality of the picture this phone can take!! the lighting,shadows, color reproductionm and where did the noise go (remembering this is a phone)? (I have 10bit NEC LCD, and it shows)...damn you headfi, where is the cheapest place to get this piece of love...unlocked.

You mean DAC/amp with the 808?

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #288 of 862
Quote:
beerchug.gif
 & 
atsmile.gif
 =
popcorn.gif
I really like what I see, referring to the quality of the picture this phone can take!! the lighting,shadows, color reproductionm and where did the noise go (remembering this is a phone)? (I have 10bit NEC LCD, and it shows)...damn you headfi, where is the cheapest place to get this piece of love...unlocked.

You mean DAC/amp with the 808?

Yeah, USB audio work with the 808, confirmed with my Intruder and Leckteron, but not yet tried my Apex with it.

Despite having a lot going for it, it is hard to recommend the phone because the OS is rather awful (I'm an old time Symbian user, so this isn't random hating, just unbiased fact). If you've been using a recent Android handset (from memory you are?) this is like the equivalent of going from something like present day Mac OS to Windows 3.1... Furthermore, there are very few apps available, and even fewer decent quality ones. For me it is a secondary device because I can afford to have one, and the camera really is pretty special. For the most part I got as a concert phone, the distortionless audio capture is wonderful for that use-case scenario (if you Google Nokia Pureview 808 concert video you'll find some stellar examples), and it means I don't risk damaging or losing my primary device. If you've got a suitable use-case scenario that requires a fairly high quality camera bundled with a phone however, and it is a secondary device, then its golden.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #289 of 862
Quote:

Yeah, USB audio work with the 808, confirmed with my Intruder and Leckteron, but not yet tried my Apex with it.

Despite having a lot going for it, it is hard to recommend the phone because the OS is rather awful (I'm an old time Symbian user, so this isn't random hating, just unbiased fact). If you've been using a recent Android handset (from memory you are?) this is like the equivalent of going from something like present day Mac OS to Windows 3.1... Furthermore, there are very few apps available, and even fewer decent quality ones. For me it is a secondary device because I can afford to have one, and the camera really is pretty special. For the most part I got as a concert phone, the distortionless audio capture is wonderful for that use-case scenario (if you Google Nokia Pureview 808 concert video you'll find some stellar examples), and it means I don't risk damaging or losing my primary device. If you've got a suitable use-case scenario that requires a fairly high quality camera bundled with a phone however, and it is a secondary device, then its golden.

Yep, Got the Note2 and the 808 will be a secondary phone, if & I repeat If you confirmed that the Glacier works with it?

Still waiting for your impressions, and please be harsh....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #290 of 862
Quote:

Yep, Got the Note2 and the 808 will be a secondary phone, if & I repeat If you confirmed that the Glacier works with it?

Still waiting for your impressions, and please be harsh....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Damn, the Apex doesn't work with the 808! Asks for too much power and throws up a "USB device using a lot of power" warning and disconnects. Sad panda.

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #292 of 862
Quote:
That's with the Glacier set not to draw charge from the DAC USB input (press gain and reset buttons simultaneously to disable)?

Ah! Thanks for that, I missed the in the instructions since they started talking about iOS devices which I don't use. Still doesn't work with the 808 though, gives an error message the same as the Pico. Bummer.

Good to know anyway, no draining my Note 2 battery when I'm using it :)

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #293 of 862
Sorry guys its going to be a while before I can put up my real impressions. Laptop died on me the day the Glacier arrived, only got a couple hours with them together. Its also the first time I was able to listen to my RS1s so I'm barely getting used to the sound. They sound great unamped out of my iPhone the last few days.

I got a couple hours more when I had my friends laptop with me using the Glacier. I can just say right now that they make the Grados sound more lively, everythings faster, theres better bass, its energetic. Love the way they sound with Neil Young and Norah Jones and Amy Winehouse.

The Glacier with the RS1s dont sound too bright to me, the headphones are just much smoother than what I remember my 80is being

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #296 of 862
Quote:
anybody found a cable that connects the Apex Glacier to the iphone 5 or new ipod?

You can't, in the way I think you mean.  The new iPhones, etc. don't have an audio line-out any longer, so you can't use an LOD as on the earlier devices.  There's a Lightning dock with a built-in DAC that can be added that will provide audio, but that extra piece will be necessary.  Some devices, like the Algorhythm SOLO, will take direct digital from both old and new Apple devices, but the Glacier won't (it will work with the iPad and the Apple camera connection kit).

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #297 of 862
Has anyone read any additional reviews of the Glacier? Besides the Headfonia review and a couple of RMAF brief videos, I haven't found anything else. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the new CLAS models and an amp within the next day or two, and would appreciate any insight.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #298 of 862
HI All,

The Glacier has a full 2 year warranty. We do all repairs on the units and support it fully. Also, you can defeat the usb draw from the Glacier - read the manual for how to do that and it will not draw any power through that usb port. The second port will then be used to charge the Glacier.

Todd

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #300 of 862
Quote:
Has anyone read any additional reviews of the Glacier? Besides the Headfonia review and a couple of RMAF brief videos, I haven't found anything else. Also, I just noticed that TTVJ terms and conditions are "as is" with no warranty whatsover. Has anyone heard if TTVJ offers repair in the event of issues?

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the new CLAS models and an amp within the next day or two, and would appreciate any insight.  

I don't know that there are a lot of reviews out yet.  I got myself one for Christmas and really like it a lot.  I haven't done a lot of detailed back-to-back comparisons but it's definitely in the same league as the best; I don't think that my Vozurge Pure, for example, is very noticeably better (and it's terrific).  The amp section is a clear improvement over the TTVJ Slim.  It's true that it's on the warmer and "fun" side of neutral.  Neutral is usually my preference but I'm really enjoying this.

I have the original CLAS and they go very well together - the sound is great and the form factor fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back