Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #676 of 862
RXMk3: More powerful, sparkle treble, neutral mid, punchy mid bass, adjustable quantity of bass.

Glacier: less powerful, sparkle treble, lush and musical mid, lack of sub bass. The DAC section can be used with PC and certain Android phones.

I, personally, prefer the Glacier as it much more musical compare to the MK3. Yes, the MK3 can drive many hard-to-drive fullsize cans with authority but the sound sign is just not for me.

YMMV

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #677 of 862
Has anyone tried connecting the Glacier to an iPod / iPhone running iOS 7+ via a CCK?   The Glacier has separate USB ports for charging and data, so I am hoping this will work.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #678 of 862
Has anyone tried connecting the Glacier to an iPod / iPhone running iOS 7+ via a CCK?   The Glacier has separate USB ports for charging and data, so I am hoping this will work.

It should work because you can change the Glacier to run on it's own battery power and not draw power through it's dac port, allowing it to be connected via CCK.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #679 of 862

Reported working on the iOS7 and CCK thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/60#post_9829046

Although personally, I recommend GS3 with Glacier as you don't need that bulky CCK cable and you can just do microUSB - microUSB.

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #680 of 862

It works. Make sure the Glacier is set so that it's not drawing power at the DAC mini-USB port (press gain and reset buttons at the same time to change, or change back).

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #683 of 862
how does the glacier compare to rsa shadow, p-51 and sr71a...only amp section obviously

Not sure about shadow, p51..but between 71a and intruder and glacier...both 71a and intruder is warmer...but glacier is clearer.detail is good on all. But if clarity was 1st priority..glacier is the better one to go. And what i like about glacier..the mids is also warm. Not a kind of sharp or zizzling like that. Still have that mellow sounding eventhough the highs is extending better than RSA.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #684 of 862
Thanks, Bucket, Zenki and Barbes. I am close to pulling the trigger on one but am not convinced I'll like the sound

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #685 of 862
You won't regret it if you do, it's a beautiful-sounding amp.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #687 of 862
Got off the old screen protector and changed to a new one today.  I think my portable rig is done for now.  Like I mentioned before the Glacier has excellent synergy with JH13.

Quote:
Have anyone connected the Glacier with Galaxy S4 using CablePro Horizon usb micro to usb micro that Todd sell?
Any suggestions of different brands would be appreciated.

I have that OTG cable.  Not an S4, but it works perfectly fine for S3.  So there's no problem with the cable itself, but I've been reading that there's possible problems with Android 4.4 not supporting USB audio output.  I might be wrong about this.  I just keep my S3 on 4.0.4 because I only use it as a music player.

I don't use the CablePro anymore though because I prefer right angle and made my own OTG cable, the one in the first photo.  It's just a short USB cable, so if you can solder, DIY is best imo..

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #689 of 862
Where do you get the materials and supplies for OTG cable? Thanks.

Micro USB right angle male connectors: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-sets-Micro-USB-5-Pin-Right-Angle-Male-Plug-Socket-Connector-Plastic-Cover/281202448393

And for wires and the sleeve, there's many things you can search on ebay.  I used what I had left over after doing a DIYmod (iPod 5G mod) which was a 30awg solid core pure silver cable (I can't find the seller anymore).  Ofcourse it's USB so it doesn't have to be silver or single core (you can use copper and stranded wire too), I just used it because it was the most thin cable I had and easy to work with.  The micro USB connector's solder points are small, so it's easier to use thin cables.

I recommend 30awg to 26awg, anything lower number or thicker may still fit but maybe you can't use sleeves beyond a certain thickness.  In my case I just used thin cables and covered with a 3mm red sleeve I also bought on ebay, just to give it a tidy look.

You don't need to buy from ebay if you can find connectors, wires and sleeves locally.

Tutorial and pin layout pics on this thread helps too:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666267/diy-otg-micro-usb-b-cable-to-usb-b-tutorial

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #690 of 862
Micro USB right angle male connectors: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-sets-Micro-USB-5-Pin-Right-Angle-Male-Plug-Socket-Connector-Plastic-Cover/281202448393

And for wires and the sleeve, there's many things you can search on ebay.  I used what I had left over after doing a DIYmod (iPod 5G mod) which was a 30awg solid core pure silver cable (I can't find the seller anymore).  Ofcourse it's USB so it doesn't have to be silver or single core (you can use copper and stranded wire too), I just used it because it was the most thin cable I had and easy to work with.  The micro USB connector's solder points are small, so it's easier to use thin cables.

I recommend 30awg to 26awg, anything lower number or thicker may still fit but maybe you can't use sleeves beyond a certain thickness.  In my case I just used thin cables and covered with a 3mm red sleeve I also bought on ebay, just to give it a tidy look.

You don't need to buy from ebay if you can find connectors, wires and sleeves locally.

Tutorial and pin layout pics on this thread helps too:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666267/diy-otg-micro-usb-b-cable-to-usb-b-tutorial

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back