AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #1,891 of 4,614
Tried to gather what are/could be firmware issues from the above posts...

Firmware issues with the AP80 delivered so far (FW1.0):
1. When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up.
2. The system sometimes crashes and then it restarts (once a day).
3. Typos (like: Vorbis is spelled as "VOROIS").
4. No scrolling when the info is too long to show.
5. LDAC implementation still missing.
6. Bluetooth pairing issues (need to repeat the pairing 3 times).
7. DSD64 playback issue (noise, hiss/static).
8. Streaming audio to the AP80 from a smartphone: default is SBC, even if the smartphone supports AptX/LDAC. No override even if Developer Options are open.
9. Pedometer can be very unreliable (one step counted as 5).
10. Podcasts/audiobooks support still missing.
11. 'Resume' not resuming as expected (need to press 'play' again to resume playback).
12. FM issue (no reception in some cases with earphones on; fine with standard receiver).

Feel free to add/remove/comment if necessary :wink:
Did not add the obvious troubles some had with their player (falling knob, moving parts inside the player...).

Holy f...

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #1,892 of 4,614
Holy f...
Honestly it's not that bad. I also don't have issues with Dsd/dss as well. It plays music and well for its price. Only thing I really want is a way to get the volume gui without turning the knob, be able to play music righy away on boot up and without entering Player app and text scrolling for names that doesn't fit

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,894 of 4,614
Tried to gather what are/could be firmware issues from the above posts...

Firmware issues with the AP80 delivered so far (FW1.0):
1. When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up.
2. The system sometimes crashes and then it restarts (once a day).
3. Typos (like: Vorbis is spelled as "VOROIS").
4. No scrolling when the info is too long to show.
5. LDAC implementation still missing.
6. Bluetooth pairing issues (need to repeat the pairing 3 times).
7. DSD64 playback issue (noise, hiss/static).
8. Streaming audio to the AP80 from a smartphone: default is SBC, even if the smartphone supports AptX/LDAC. No override even if Developer Options are open.
9. Pedometer can be very unreliable (one step counted as 5).
10. Podcasts/audiobooks support still missing.
11. 'Resume' not resuming as expected (need to press 'play' again to resume playback).
12. FM issue (no reception in some cases with earphones on; fine with standard receiver).

Feel free to add/remove/comment if necessary :wink:
Did not add the obvious troubles some had with their player (falling knob, moving parts inside the player...).

1. It works on my.
2. Never had this since I've got my sample unit
3. Agree
4. Agree, should be addressed to the developers of HibyOS
5. It would be as promissed
6. No problems in my unit
7. No problems in my unit
8. As stated above and been discussed - AptX and LDAC would come in later releases (anyday now). Not sure about AptX but LDAC would be here.
9. This was discussed since sample release - pedometer is not reliable... Ok.
10. Agree, should be addressed to the developers of HibyOS
11. Agree
12. Have good reception in my unit.
No problems with rattling or volume dial either
Note that I am still running 0.9FW and have one of the first samples.

Just wanted to explain again that HiByOS is not developed by Hidizs. It is licensed from HiBy and some (if not the most) of the bugs would be the same for other players running this OS. I've seen lots of issue complaints by HiBy R3, R6 DAPs in HiBy user group in FB... Of course, as an owner of AP80 all issues should be addresssed to Hidizs and they should forward it to Hiby...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #1,895 of 4,614
1. It works on my.
3. Agree
8. As stated above and been discussed - AptX and LDAC would come in later releases (anyday now). Not sure about AptX but LDAC would be here.
11. Agree

Just wanted to explain again that HiByOS is not developed by Hidizs. It is licensed from HiBy and some (if not the most) of the bugs would be the same for other players running this OS. I've seen lots of issue complaints by HiBy R3, R6 DAPs in HiBy user group in FB... Of course, as an owner of AP80 all issues should be addresssed to Hidizs and they should forward it to Hiby...

Acording to the Kickstarter campaign, bidirectional aptx should have been there since the beginning

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,896 of 4,614
Acording to the Kickstarter campaign, bidirectional aptx should have been there since the beginning

No doubt.
As far as I remember this was discussed here during the campaign - Ken told us that it would come in future FW releases. We didn't doubt that cause we've already got 0.7 -> 0.8 -> 0.9 -> 1.0 incremetals by now. Hoping to see the next one in few days.

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,899 of 4,614
Just received this email from Hidizs right now:

Screenshot_2018-12-07-20-06-26-006_com.google.android.gm.jpg

Well, the joke's on them, I already received mine 3 days ago. You can now add me to the people in this thread who have their AP80s delivered before they even receive an email or a tracking number (well, in my case I did received a tracking number via SMS, but from DHL instead of Hidizs themselves). :joy:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #1,901 of 4,614
My bug list so far:

1. No tracking number
2. No AP80
This definitely made my day. :joy:

1. It works on my.
3. Agree
11. Agree

Well, it's normal if you don't experience some of the bugs @okinear has compiled (which includes some of the things I've noticed so far), since your unit's firmware have a different/earlier version from the ones Hidizs have been sending out right now. Maybe some are better in the earlier build (like the HibyLink album art issue), and some are worse and/or missing.

On a side note, here's a pic of my AP80 alongside Sansa Clip Zip (another tiny DAP). Also, not shown on the pic below, but I finally got rid of the annoying dust bubbles of the pre-applied screen protector by lifting an affected portion of the protector with some tape, then dabbing a piece of rolled clear packing tape underneath the sticky side of the protector and on the screen.

IMG_20181205_010849.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_010849.jpg
    IMG_20181205_010849.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,905 of 4,614
Just got the kickstarter update and I'm confused. I'm backer 320 chose red but have never received an option to choose a different color in order to get my player faster.
If you didn't received any email asking for a color change, then it's pretty sure you'll receive your AP80 in red. I picked red, too, and I never received any email regarding color change. They really did delivered my AP80 on my preferred color.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back