AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 6, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #1,876 of 4,614
Might be my English... I got lost in your explanation :blush:

Which fields are taken into account for the hierarchy and for sorting folders/files?
Artist only? Artist and Album? Others too?

The player has options to view by Artist, Album, Genre, or song. You can dig down one layer in Artist, to albums by that artist, and then a second layer for the songs themselves. The Genre option just drops to a list of every song in that genre, with no further hierarchy. There is also the option to use folder view, which bypasses the database and just looks at the file system directly.

I haven't noticed any sort function. When scrolling through a long list, a tiny row of letters appears on the right. I don't really see any use for it, as I can't touch the letters and have the list jump to a spot (touch target too small for my fingers, poorly calibrated, or just non functional - I can't tell). Scrolling does move pretty fast though, which is good.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,878 of 4,614
I used an adaptor to put music on a 400gb microSD card, then inserted into AP80. All is good. However, want to add some music to the card without removing from player except, WIndows 10 is not recognizing it as a USB device. Any advice or solution appreciated.

Edit: Figured it out. Once plugged in, although it shows normal desktop on player, just tap wheel to put into USB mode. Instantly recognized.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,879 of 4,614
I used an adaptor to put music on a 400gb microSD card, then inserted into AP80. All is good. However, want to add some music to the card without removing from player except, WIndows 10 is not recognizing it as a USB device. Any advice or solution appreciated.

Edit: Figured it out. Once plugged in, although it shows normal desktop on player, just tap wheel to put into USB mode. Instantly recognized.

check USB settings in AP80 - it might be in DAC mode instead of drive

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,880 of 4,614
Got red one with black case today. Leather case too tight, strap not long enough for my upper arms, so will be using it naked ( the DAP, not me). Drives ATH M50x very well on low gain, not QUITE loud enough with Sennheiser HD6xx on high gain. Knob not loose, no rattles. FM radio scanned quickly and found many stations from close big city ( in NW US). Radio signal very clear and loud. I dropped in 200 gig mad card from N3, and 1300 songs scanned very quickly without a hitch. Boomer here with far from golden ears, but very pleased

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,882 of 4,614
Hopefully Hidisz would add support for podcasts / audiobooks as explicitly promised before!
I doubt I would have backed-up this campaign otherwise...

Indeed, there are several Podcasts that I listen to a week, and there are not ,and there are not many if any player that have this support any more.

And yes I know it is truly early days on the AP80, and I still have some excitement for it, but the is beginning to go out the door. If they do not get there stuff strait.

I may be looking at the Hiby R3 as it is on sale, even the Red model for $200.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,884 of 4,614
after some time with mine im a bit torn. mine picks up literally zero radio stations and i tried with a number of headphones with different cords. we do have a handful of good local stations that come in very clear with any other radios and not with the ap80? and while my knob is not like falling off loose it def wobbles a lot from side to side. it plays folders and loads music just fine but im not overall happy with the unit. and still no responses at all from hidiz. i agree the amp is stronger then the R3 it drives a good amount of headphones reasonably well, better then expected.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #1,887 of 4,614
Upon further use, I notice a quirk that doesn't seem to be fixable by changing any current settings - "resume" doesn't. Specifically, the Player is treated as something you must launch after every power cycle. So, while the option to resume the track or specific position is remembered, the audio doesn't start when you turn the device on. Here's my typical process:
  1. Driving to work, listening to a podcast, and arrive at the office.
  2. Turn off the player.
  3. Get back in the car after work.
  4. Turn on the player.
  5. Pick up the player to tap the Player icon.
  6. Press the tiny hard-to-hit play button on the screen or the middle hardware button to actually resume playback.
  7. Resume listening to the podcast.
This contrasts with my previous daily driver, the AP60II, which follows this process:
  1. Driving to work, listening to a podcast, arrive at office.
  2. Turn off the player.
  3. Get back in the car after work.
  4. Turn on player.
  5. Listen with no further interaction needed.
A more advanced device takes two more steps to resume playback. If I'm using an audio-only device, why is the Player not assumed to be the thing I want to do when I turn it on, particularly if RESUME is enabled?

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,888 of 4,614
I don't have mine yet but I noticed this too and that's one thing I didn't like. I also didn't like that you can't start the music right away once it boots (don't care where or which), you have to select PLAYER then click on a any song first, You can't just hit the PLAY button and make it start

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #1,889 of 4,614
A couple more firmware bugs that I've noticed while using my AP80 these past 3 days:
  • The system sometimes crashes and then it restarts. While this is not happening frequently, I've encountered this issue 3 times already on the 3 days I've been using my unit. And before you ask, my microSD card isn't corrupted.
  • When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up. I tried using Hiby Link on my Xduoo X3II (another Hiby OS-based DAP) to my smartphone, and it shows the album art on my library, so the issue isn't in the HibyMusic mobile app, but in AP80's firmware.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #1,890 of 4,614
Tried to gather what are/could be firmware issues from the above posts...

Firmware issues with the AP80 delivered so far (FW1.0):
1. When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up.
2. The system sometimes crashes and then it restarts (once a day).
3. Typos (like: Vorbis is spelled as "VOROIS").
4. No scrolling when the info is too long to show.
5. LDAC implementation still missing.
6. Bluetooth pairing issues (need to repeat the pairing 3 times).
7. DSD64 playback issue (noise, hiss/static).
8. Streaming audio to the AP80 from a smartphone: default is SBC, even if the smartphone supports AptX/LDAC. No override even if Developer Options are open.
9. Pedometer can be very unreliable (one step counted as 5).
10. Podcasts/audiobooks support still missing.
11. 'Resume' not resuming as expected (need to press 'play' again to resume playback).
12. FM issue (no reception in some cases with earphones on; fine with standard receiver).

Feel free to add/remove/comment if necessary :wink:
Did not add the obvious troubles some had with their player (falling knob, moving parts inside the player...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back