AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 7, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,921 of 4,614
Tried to gather what are/could be firmware issues from the above posts...

Firmware issues with the AP80 delivered so far (FW1.0):
1. When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up.
2. The system sometimes crashes and then it restarts (once a day).
3. Typos (like: Vorbis is spelled as "VOROIS").
4. No scrolling when the info is too long to show.
5. LDAC implementation still missing.
6. Bluetooth pairing issues (need to repeat the pairing 3 times).
7. DSD64 playback issue (noise, hiss/static).
8. Streaming audio to the AP80 from a smartphone: default is SBC, even if the smartphone supports AptX/LDAC. No override even if Developer Options are open.
9. Pedometer can be very unreliable (one step counted as 5).
10. Podcasts/audiobooks support still missing.
11. 'Resume' not resuming as expected (need to press 'play' again to resume playback).
12. FM issue (no reception in some cases with earphones on; fine with standard receiver).

Feel free to add/remove/comment if necessary :wink:
Did not add the obvious troubles some had with their player (falling knob, moving parts inside the player...).
I was blown away with how fast and how well radio found about 12 to 15 stations and signal clear and static free. Clearly the radio is a YMMV issue

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #1,922 of 4,614
Following up my earlier exploration of the "load playlist" functionality. I use Mediamonkey to sync my devices (until very recently, my 380-gig library was larger than any device I owned). MM has a great array of options for synchronizing playlists. Once I set it to use relative paths and Linux file separators, and saved the M3U files in the playlist_data directory (once that directory was created by saving an m3u list from the device), the "Load Playlist" option worked perfectly. It does take quite a long time to import the 150+ playlists I have built, so it may not be a thing I update frequently. I timed it as about 2.5 minutes. Since the M3U lists work by navigating via folder view, the only real benefit to the database playlist option is that it tells you how many songs are in each list, but it also scrolls more slowly since it's showing more data for each item.

I still find the resume 3-step a little annoying, but I'm beginning to adapt.

Really wish the AP80 had the promised podcast features. Add that and streamline the resume feature, and it's darned near perfect for my use case.

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,923 of 4,614
20181207_185045.jpg
20181207_185029.jpg
20181207_185206.jpg
If you didn't received any email asking for a color change, then it's pretty sure you'll receive your AP80 in red. I picked red, too, and I never received any email regarding color change. They really did delivered my AP80 on my preferred color.
Right you were. Got mine in the mail today with never receiving any shipping notification. The only problem I've had so far is scanning my files. I have a 256gb card with 14000 files of combined FLAC and 320 mp3's. It took around 10 minutes to do the scan, that's painfully slow. Hiby app on my phone does it in a minute. Other than that so far so good.
A few pics with my Plenue D and 30r to get an idea on the size.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,924 of 4,614
Tried to gather what are/could be firmware issues, from what has been posted above...

Firmware issues with the AP80 delivered so far (FW1.0):
1. When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up. It works for others.
2. The system sometimes crashes, then restarts (once a day). Does not happen for all users.

4. No scrolling when the information is too long.
5. LDAC implementation still missing. Should be implemented in a coming update.
6. Bluetooth pairing issues (need to repeat the pairing 3 times). No problem for others.
7. DSD64 playback issue (noise, hiss/static). No problem for others.

8. Streaming audio to the AP80 from a smartphone: default is SBC, even if the smartphone supports AptX/LDAC. No override even if Developer Options are open. LDAC support should come in an update.
9. Pedometer can be very unreliable (one step counted as 5). As discussed since sample release.
11. 'Resume' not resuming as expected after AP80 is switched ON (need to start the player (tap icon) and press 'play' to resume playback).
12. FM issue (no reception with earphones on; fine with standard receiver). No problem for others, good reception.

Feel free to add/remove/comment :wink:
Should be more precise with more users/comments.
I did not receive the AP80 yet.

As explained already and pointed out again by IryxBRO, HiByOS is not developed by Hidizs.
Some 'bugs' would also affect other players running this OS, issues should be addresssed to the Hidizs team who should forward them to HibyOS developers.

The AP80 player is a good player bringing a quality sound as stated in independant reviews and comments.

Original post edited: some listed features do work fine for others (including pre-campaign player) than those stating the problem, what is missing in the firmware will/should come through an update. Added IryxBRO's important reminder.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,925 of 4,614
I pre orders red on their site once the pre order was available. Just received an email asking to change colour to black or grey for immediate shipment or wait for red which will only be available only in end of December or most likely in January.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #1,927 of 4,614
Hey guys! Sorry for my silence, I was quite busy these days.. (still pretty much busy)

Thanks to everyone for being patient so far. Still doing the best i can on my side to push everything on shipping and stuff.

@okinear that is a good initiative! Thanks for listing everything! Please do not hesitate to give us your feedbacks and update the list! I will transmit it to the team asap. Do the issues occur for everyone? Or is it just to some of you guys?

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,929 of 4,614
Hey guys! Sorry for my silence, I was quite busy these days.. (still pretty much busy)

Thanks to everyone for being patient so far. Still doing the best i can on my side to push everything on shipping and stuff.

@okinear that is a good initiative! Thanks for listing everything! Please do not hesitate to give us your feedbacks and update the list! I will transmit it to the team asap. Do the issues occur for everyone? Or is it just to some of you guys?
1. When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up. It works for others.
--same here (again my friends)
2. The system sometimes crashes, then restarts (once a day). Does not happen for all users.
----no

---same
4. No scrolling when the information is too long.
--same
5. LDAC implementation still missing. Should be implemented in a coming update.
---waiting
6. Bluetooth pairing issues (need to repeat the pairing 3 times). No problem for others
---no
7. DSD64 playback issue (noise, hiss/static). No problem for others.
---no

8. Streaming audio to the AP80 from a smartphone: default is SBC, even if the smartphone supports AptX/LDAC. No override even if Developer Options are open. LDAC support should come in an update.
----waiting
9. Pedometer can be very unreliable (one step counted as 5). As discussed since sample release.
----yee
---dont know
11. 'Resume' not resuming as expected after AP80 is switched ON (need to start the player (tap icon) and press 'play' to resume playback).
----yee
12. FM issue (no reception with earphones on; fine with standard receiver). No problem for others, good reception.
----yes

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #1,930 of 4,614
Got my dispatch note from Hidizs this morning. Ordered the grey one with a brown leather case. Looking forward to receiving it.
Great to get a message from them on here too. Let’s hope the get on the faults and correct them asap.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #1,932 of 4,614
I don't think so, because the update stated that "your orders are currently being arranged for shipping", so they are not shipped today, I think maybe next week to the carrier and then customs, ...

I got this email.

Thanks for your support and patience for the Hidizs AP80 shipping. Currently, we are arranging the shipping to worldwide. However, shipping is slower than usual due to peak seasons.
As we mentioned on the Kickstarter comment, there is a shortage of 150-200 pieces of the AP80 RED, as we are waiting for one component for the production for the AP80 red.
During the quality test of red AP80, we found there is one section which did not pass our test which we think it can’t meet the high expectation of our backers. That’s why we are currently waiting for the component to reproduce the red AP80s.

We are providing two solutions as below, please feel free to choose either one of them:

1. Please reply BLACK or GRAY if you want to change the color choice to Black or Gray. We’ll ship your order ASAP now.
2. Please reply YES if you want to wait for the red Ap80 to ship by mid-December.

We deeply apologize for the shipping delay. Thanks again for your support.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,933 of 4,614
Hmm in a dilemma now to wait a month for red or change to grey/black and get it now.
I changed to black. Yeah, red is really cool, but since I already own a red Shanling M0, decided to go for the black instead of waiting even longer...

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,934 of 4,614
Hi Ken,
Have you shipped to Europe? I haven't received AP80 or any tracking number yet. Are you shipping directly from China? or a warehouse in Europe? I live in Belgium

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,935 of 4,614
I got this email.

Thanks for your support and patience for the Hidizs AP80 shipping. Currently, we are arranging the shipping to worldwide. However, shipping is slower than usual due to peak seasons.
As we mentioned on the Kickstarter comment, there is a shortage of 150-200 pieces of the AP80 RED, as we are waiting for one component for the production for the AP80 red.
During the quality test of red AP80, we found there is one section which did not pass our test which we think it can’t meet the high expectation of our backers. That’s why we are currently waiting for the component to reproduce the red AP80s.

We are providing two solutions as below, please feel free to choose either one of them:

1. Please reply BLACK or GRAY if you want to change the color choice to Black or Gray. We’ll ship your order ASAP now.
2. Please reply YES if you want to wait for the red Ap80 to ship by mid-December.

We deeply apologize for the shipping delay. Thanks again for your support.
Same here. Mid0December is 1 week away, but I did choose black, so let's see if it ships sooner (I might end up waiting anyhow, to receive the black replacement)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back