AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #436 of 4,614
@xuyiguanyinsi sorry I dont have the Hiby R3.
Quite a different device with other features and at twice/thrice the price of a Hidizs AP80 or Shanling m0.
Size being similar though.

No doubt someone else will be able to do all three soon. A couple of reviewers have the Hiby r3 and m0 and will probably get the AP80 review unit.

*For most people I recommend to think about features, then price/budget.
————————-

@IryxBRO thanks for the shout out about redesigning the OP together

————————-

@kenloveme yes I will keep emailing any feedback on the AP80 to your colleague (nothing too major folks, no bugs so far- just tweaks).
I will message them to you also.

——————————

RE: Hidizs AP80 vs Shanling M0. Hopefully early next week unless the maestro @twister6 gets his done first :wink: then it will be well covered anyway.

Either way the campaign has taken off so a vs/comparison at this piong may be moot.

Later,...after the weekend
Expat

@ExpatinJapan Thanks for the info and feedbacks, so we can still adjust the small tweaks in the future! Glad to know everything is working well so far! :D I am also looking forward for your pro review! haha

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #437 of 4,614
Hi.I was a bit of late bird, but a backer
#1078 now.
Although I loved portability of music, my troops have grown too big as a result of too much of SQ comparison.
I hope this new toy brings me back
the eary days of exiting portability!!

@Tweety 99 Thanks for joining and for your support! :D, we wanted to match high portability with hi-res audio on the AP80 so it will definitely give you a nice blast in time with a glimpse of modernity :wink:.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #438 of 4,614
For what’s its worth I thought the M0 sounded a bit more dynamic than R3 and a better treble response- well stronger. I personally preferred the sound of the M0. I felt the R3 sounded great also and was smoother and a touch warmer and a touch more refined.

I never tested the balanced out of the R3 either. I feel a lot of the sonic signature is down to the cans iems you are using, and your preferred sound signature. For instance I thought the Sony a45 sounded better with my sound magic ie 80 than the M0, but the M0 sounded better with my ak t8ie mkii.

Anyways if AP 80 has a similar sound to M0 or better, lots of people are going to love the sound which is close to neutral but with some energy in the bass and treble regions for a more fun- musical- dynamic sound and not analytical with smooth evenly spaced mids and a nice sound stage. And

Can’t wait to try AP 80! I do love M0 but this will be easier and more convenient to operate ( like R3 ) but still very compact.

@abitdeef Since the AP80 uses HiBy OS, it will constantly improve so it is already playing on a different league than the M0. :wink:

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #439 of 4,614
I'm giving you head start, my review sample of ap80 won't arrive until mid of next week :wink:
@twister6 Looking forward for it! I'm curious about your first impressions on the AP80 :D

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #441 of 4,614
I ended up biting the bullet and am now backer #510. I ended up opting for the bundle with the seeds. Looking forward to it.
@Zeo-Gold92 Thank you for backing up our AP80! :D, I invite you to read about @IryxBRO interesting review here on testing different IEMs with the AP80 as he also used the Seeds earphones :)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #442 of 4,614
New joiner and backer number 1102. Also a Kickstarter Virgin. Currently running Audio-Technica ATH M50X, and Soundmagic E10C through a Fiio E10K via Laptop or phone. No previous DAP experience. Very basic setup so really looking forward to hearing the difference. Now looking to upgrade the earbuds ready for Oct/Nov.
@Spon Welcome to Head-fi and many thanks for choosing the AP80 as your first DAP experience! :D. It will not let you go unnoticed, you can be sure of it :D.

If you are looking for new earbuds, you can also check @IryxBRO review here, he tested different earphones that are a good match for the AP80 like the Seeds or Dawnwood ST08 :)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #443 of 4,614
Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to this very much, just joined the drop @ MassDrop for the CA Lyra IIs, can't wait to pair it with the AP80.

Also,
Cosmetic question: based on Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews the device shows markings for each input (it says in big white letters "Type C" under the port for example). My question is will the final units have the same? Or is the whole device sort of inconspicuous? I personally would prefer no writing anywhere, I think most users will know which port is which :wink:

@Luhar Like @IryxBRO said, we received complains about the right way of inserting the MicroSD card so we thought it was better to be transparent and clear on the labels indication. You know, just in case there are new hi-fi beginners, it can always help them :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #444 of 4,614
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #445 of 4,614
Following the question/request to disable the step counter in order to save the battery... It's not clear to me if it's possible to disable bluetooth, or even the whole wireless stuff, in order to decrease the battery usage when simply listening to music from the SD card?!?!

Wireless interfaces (bluetooth in case of AP80) can be disabled by the corresponding toggle in drop down menu. Step counter doesn't seem to be working unless you would run this app.

Can the AP80 (like the AP60) be used as a digital transport when connected to an external DAC, such as a Chord Mojo?

If yes, is the digital out fixed ?

Yep, I've also checked with Hidizs Sonata DH1000 - work well. Not sure what you mean "fixed".

Hi all,
New here (or maybe signed up years ago but lost the info after an HD crash!) too. Backed the AP80.
Owner of a Sennheiser HD600 I wonder if the headphone impedance (300 ohm) won't be too high for the player to drive it correctly?!?!

300Ohm might be a heavy load for AP80. It might still sound good but it would require more power for better dynamics and speed. I would rather use AP80 in pair with some headphone amp to get the most of HD600 potential.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #446 of 4,614
I'm in on the campaign. Will make an outstanding birthday present for me!! Can hardly wait.
@MisterMudd Thanks for joining us! :D We are super excited to get all your feedbacks and you will definitely enjoy your gift! :D

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #447 of 4,614
Now the waiting begins, I do miss the days when new gear came out you could go right to the electronics store and purchase it.
@abitdeef Yes but you are waiting in anticipation, so it will make you even happier when you will receive it! :D

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #449 of 4,614
@ kenloveme,

What about a short FAQ on KS too?
The comments section is rather quiet there (compare to this thread) but the very same questions keep coming again and again...

@okinear I think it is a great idea! I will take care of it asap! :D Thanks for the suggestion!

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #450 of 4,614
Like @IryxBRO did, I thought it would be interesting to show to you all the possible swipe shortcuts you could do on the AP80 to make your experience easier. :D, So here is the video:

TOUCHSCREEN GESTURES AND SHORTCUTS :

Any screen:

If you swipe down from the top screen, you will be able to turn on and off several features such as BT, set the Gain to Low or High, DAC in or out and also enable line out.

By swiping up from the bottom of the screen, you can quickly adjust the brightness of the screen, volume of the song you are currently playing and also pause/play change tracks.

To unlock the screen when you are listening to a song just swipe up from the center of the screen.

Main Menu:

When you are on the Main Menu and you select for instance, System settings, by swiping to the right you can go back to the Main Menu screen. This will avoid you struggling on clicking on the small arrow icon on the top left of the screen to go back to the Main Menu.

So always remember to swipe to the right to go back to the Main Menu :D. This shortcut only works when you are going using the Step counter, System settings and FM.

Player screen:

If you swipe to the right, you can update your song list database, have access to the MSEB, Equalizer, enable/disable Bluetooth, change the play settings or go back to the Main Menu screen by pressing on Exit. However you can also click on the Hidizs logo to go back to the Main Menu screen.

By swiping to the left while you are on the Player screen, It enables you to get to the screen where your current track is playing.

From the Player screen, there are 3 interesting icons on the top of the screen:
  • The first one will show you all the songs on your AP80, you can check them in different sorting categories like Album, Artists and Genre

• The second one will enable you to listen to your songs according to the playlists you’ve created and favored

• The third one takes you to the screen where your current track is playing

Current song playing screen:

From this screen, you can of course fast-forward, rewind, pause/play. You can favor the current song you are playing to put it as favorite with the heart icon on the bottom right. You can also change the play type on the bottom left. By clicking on the 3 dots on the bottom right, you can do a wide range of things such as access to the EQ, add the song to a playlist , look at the properties…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back