AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #406 of 4,614
Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to this very much, just joined the drop @ MassDrop for the CA Lyra IIs, can't wait to pair it with the AP80.

Also,
Cosmetic question: based on Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews the device shows markings for each input (it says in big white letters "Type C" under the port for example). My question is will the final units have the same? Or is the whole device sort of inconspicuous? I personally would prefer no writing anywhere, I think most users will know which port is which :wink:

Yep, but there were some complains about inserting microSD card right... which caused some damage. It means that at least microSD card slot should be labeled with the corresponding icon

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #407 of 4,614
@Zachik Regarding your question about audiobooks and podcasts, it should come on further updates! Wait and see! :D
OK - taking you on your word... I have joined the campaign!

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #408 of 4,614
Hi all,
New here (or maybe signed up years ago but lost the info after an HD crash!) too. Backed the AP80.
Owner of a Sennheiser HD600 I wonder if the headphone impedance (300 ohm) won't be too high for the player to drive it correctly?!?!

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #409 of 4,614
Although it does say it will drive 300 ohm headphone, you will want to use a headphone amp, as you always want headroom. My rule of thumb is 15%, as in never exceed 15% of the capacity of this case impedance.

For me, I will stick to running IEM's for now.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #412 of 4,614
Hey I just watched HBB’s vid and the AP80 has the magic 8 ball dsp settings ( pretty cool ) and all 8 dac filters supported by the ess dac, not just 2. Plus a 10 band Eq

For those who like to tinker with the base sound these are some pretty cool things. :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #417 of 4,614
@FSTOP : Thank you very much. The AP80's channel seperation figure is very high comparing to other mid-fi DAPs on Single-End output (usually around 60-80dB).

@FSTOP : Thank you very much. The AP80's channel seperation figure is very high comparing to other mid-fi DAPs on Single-End output (usually around 60-80dB).

Yes, i was thinking it might benefit even more with a balanced output, but for its tiny size and price point, 105dB is not bad! And i mainly just want that easy portable use. Just hope it can drive my pinnacle P1 well enough, as i do not intend on using another amp with it.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #418 of 4,614
Yes, i was thinking it might benefit even more with a balanced output, but for its tiny size and price point, 105dB is not bad! And i mainly just want that easy portable use. Just hope it can drive my pinnacle P1 well enough, as i do not intend on using another amp with it.
I don't think I've seen over 80db channel separation for a single ended portable DAP before. Not sure I can hear the difference; but 105db channel separation seems amazing to me.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #419 of 4,614
Theoretically the higher channel separation should produce a wider sound stage. I don’t know how they achieved that since the amp is built into the dac, maybe higher quality output resistors and capacitors?

If true, it’s very impressive for a dap this size and price point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back