AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Sep 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #721 of 4,614
it's the same DAP, just from different angles. it's black, but front/back panels and sides reflect light in a different way, causing a bit of confusion

I'm uploading a big detailed video right now, but in short, for $115 this DAP is a clear winner in it's price range. Good neutral sound without any artificial accents, but being lively enough to be enjoyable :) I think it's closest rivals starts from $200
Is the video up? :)

Sep 4, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #722 of 4,614
I'm uploading a big detailed video right now, but in short, for $115 this DAP is a clear winner in it's price range. Good neutral sound without any artificial accents, but being lively enough to be enjoyable :) I think it's closest rivals starts from $200
Did you compare to HiBy R3 and/or Shanling M0 ?

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #723 of 4,614
As for now, the AP80 can read up to 15k songs but it will increase up to 20k. We will let you know when :)
Thanks for answering this question honestly. I had asked the same question earlier, as i hoped to use a 400gb card in the ap80. I have 25k songs on one card (256gb) already. Will a card with more than 15k still work, or exactly how does the "limit" respond in use?
Maybe i should go with several smaller cards then to rotate?
I have 10k or so CDs ripped to flac, so 20k songs is nothing. :wink:

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #724 of 4,614
Thanks for answering this question honestly. I had asked the same question earlier, as i hoped to use a 400gb card in the ap80. I have 25k songs on one card (256gb) already. Will a card with more than 15k still work, or exactly how does the "limit" respond in use?

I'm sure there's some programming-based reason for the limited file capacity, but the ability to use ever-larger SD cards would seem to imply that the file cap should be re-engineered to match. On my AP60II, I've got a mixture of MP3 and FLAC music and MP3 podcasts, and I fill about half of a 64 GB card with over 6000 files. That same ratio on a 400 GB card could lead to well over 50,000 tracks. And many of the newer devices claim to be capable of handling the future 1 TB cards that Sandisk and others have been promising. When we have massive cards, but can only use 15-20 percent of their capacity due to file caps, why bother supporting the larger cards?

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #725 of 4,614
this is my first time hearing of this company...i made a pledge but how reliable is Hidisz from the previous two campaigns including promised delivery time? How are they as a company on the retail-side (non campaign / in-store selling) and how is their after service? Has anyone had any bad experiences with this company and can the details be described on why it was bad / how it was handled?

I also am thinking about the headphone's on the campaign but how are they over all? For in-ear, I personally use XBA-Z5 with the NW-ZX2 for most part

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #726 of 4,614
Sep 5, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #728 of 4,614
this is my first time hearing of this company...i made a pledge but how reliable is Hidisz from the previous two campaigns including promised delivery time? How are they as a company on the retail-side (non campaign / in-store selling) and how is their after service? Has anyone had any bad experiences with this company and can the details be described on why it was bad / how it was handled?

I also am thinking about the headphone's on the campaign but how are they over all? For in-ear, I personally use XBA-Z5 with the NW-ZX2 for most part

Me, personally, have a good experience to describe. I've always got my orders on time and all products that I own currently are working, even AP100 which was released >4 years ago. There are some minor bugs existing in FW of recent DAPs based on HibyOS and this, as I undertsand, should be addressed to Hiby by Hidizs. Still, those DAPs work good, have excellent SQ and are reliable in terms of physical use. Moreover, I've managed to setup a good communication process between myself and Hidizs officials and always got answers to my questions. IMO
P.S. All my questions to FiiO and Shanling were left unanswered for a long time....

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #729 of 4,614
F491A920-4D29-4B75-92E2-A8174ABDADA6.jpeg

Screen brightness at 100%

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #730 of 4,614
I'm sure there's some programming-based reason for the limited file capacity, but the ability to use ever-larger SD cards would seem to imply that the file cap should be re-engineered to match. On my AP60II, I've got a mixture of MP3 and FLAC music and MP3 podcasts, and I fill about half of a 64 GB card with over 6000 files. That same ratio on a 400 GB card could lead to well over 50,000 tracks. And many of the newer devices claim to be capable of handling the future 1 TB cards that Sandisk and others have been promising. When we have massive cards, but can only use 15-20 percent of their capacity due to file caps, why bother supporting the larger cards?

Exactly - s
Exactly - so the file cap negates the use of larger cards.
Of course, i understand that extremely HiRes files are much bigger, but the majority of users are going to have a mixture of files/sizes.
Im wondering if there is any way of getting around the file cap to make is usable? Such as multiple folders, and only accessing one folder at a time (almost as in partioning). Does the player have a way to direct the folder access, or just automatically find all files that the player can use that are on the card?
Im guessing that the processor power/speed is the major limiting factor in the file cap, as too many files woyld just bog it down. Which is why the ability to only access a folder at a time would be highly useful /advisable.
But its a shame that a large card is basically not useable otherwise...

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #732 of 4,614
@FSTOP I think it shouldn't be a problem if you arrange all your songs in different folders so it doesn't exceed 15k songs in a single folder :)

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #733 of 4,614
AP80 looks a bit yellow.
@kenloveme is there any chance the color temp could be adjusted prior release?
@Vimtoman Tbh, I think the picture quality is a bit weird. I don't know the circumstances or settings for taking the picture but on my end, the quality is better, (please no judgements on my music tastes. it is just a test haha) :

ap80-testcolorscreen.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #734 of 4,614
Btw, we have some new nice pictures from the Red colored AP80 along with the bros! :D:

ap80-design.jpg
ap80-design2.jpg
ap80-red2.jpg
ap80-red3.jpg

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #735 of 4,614
@FSTOP I think it shouldn't be a problem if you arrange all your songs in different folders so it doesn't exceed 15k songs in a single folder :)

Does the database/category mode have a file limit? I know that file limits in folder mode is pretty much a non-issue, since that's just an OS thing and it's a bit silly to ponder a single directory with 20,000 songs in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back