Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #633 of 9,526

VentureCraft is selling their short microUSB<->microUSB cable (10 cm in length) pretty much specifically for the Galaxy S3 <-> Go-DAP X :-

http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/

(Scroll to the 2nd item of the news).

I posted a picture of the setup with the cable on post #324. It's now in production.They're not cheap though at Y1980 (USD$25.10).

Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to be a little OT. Today I did a test of Apple's Lighting MicroUSB adapter with VentureCraft's MicroUSB <-> MicroUSB & a USB DAC/Amp but that didn't work.

So to stick to the topic, if anyone's interested in these VentureCraft MicroUSB <-> MicroUSB cable, do PM me. I bought 2 and can't use them. They're 10cm in length.

Please take note that these cables will not work with dac/amp and S3/Note 2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/60#post_8810609

Hi All,

As per turorocks above, it seem the VentureCraft microUSB<->microUSB does not work with any DAC/Amp for the S3. But as per above the cable is specific for the Galaxy S3/Go-DAP X. My apologies for not re-iterating and not making clearer when I said the my microUSB <-> microUSB weren't clear.

turorocks has done a tremendous job on finding a solution but it involves soldering. His commendable effort can be found here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/75#post_8812305

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #634 of 9,526
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #635 of 9,526
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a9/100x100px-LS-a97ba2e0_1735-703a_mini.jpg[/img]
  1. pmillett
  2. badge_contributor.v1305918899.png
  4. online
  1. 101 Posts. Joined 2/2002
  2. Location: Dallas, Texas

Hey all -

Let me try and shed a little light on the whole USB micro A/B/AB/OTG thing...

The Glacer is a slave-only, non-OTG device.  It has a USB micro-B connector.

The Glacier can be connected to anything that can act as a USB host.  This includes (obviously) things like PCs, and also the iPad using the Apple CCK.  In these cases a standard USB A to Micro USB B cable (like the one supplied with the amp) is used.

It can also be connected to an OTG device that can act as a host, like the newer Samsung phones.  The correct cable to do this would be a micro A to micro B cable, with the A end plugged into the host and the B end plugged into the Glacier.  You can also use a micro B to standard USB B female adapter (as was reported to work if plugged in the right way, with the adapter into the OTG device)

According to USB spec, such a cable should be labelled with A and B on the overmolds on the ends.  Also, the A end should have a rectangular cross section, and the B end should be chamfered.

Now, I don't know if all the cable makers follow the spec or not.

I've tested with the iPad and CCK quite a lot.  I also tried two different Samsung phones at RMAF and both just worked.  To be honest I didn't even look at the cable orientation - maybe I just got lucky.

Apple devices (iPhone, iPod) don't work as OTG hosts.  As was pointed out, as a developer, you have to pay Apple to play, as the interface that uses USB to send audio is proprietary.  It requires additional hardware as well.  So I didn't go there. Not to mention I'm not a big Apple fan :wink:

As of now, the standard Android releases do not include USB host support.  Samsung decided to add this feature on their own.  The Android folks are working on a funky USB dock protocol that works over USB (sort of like what Apple does) that, frankly, most of us developers think is stupid.  There is certainly a push to put USB host support for standard devices (like audio, keyboards, etc.) into the normal Android releases.  (I was going to point you to the discussion on developer.android.com, but the server is down...)

Oh, one other point while I'm here: in its normal state, the USB DAC connector will ask for 500mA of power so it can charge the battery when it enumerates.  In USB descriptor-speak, MaxPower = 5 and bmAttributes (self powered) = 0.

If you disable USB charging, no power is drawn from the USB port.  The device will enumerate as self-powered (e.g. it does not use USB VBUS power).  We're getting deep here, but technically the Glacier enumerates as a compound device containing an embededd hub - it has some HID functions that are unused - so it enumerates with a "1" in the MaxPower field, which indicates 100mA.  But since the "self-powered" descriptor is set, the iPad has no problem with enumerating and connecting.

Oddly enough, it looked like the Samsung phone will try to charge the Glacier battery!  That might kill your phone's charge pretty fast, so you should disable USB charging.

If anybody is masochistic enough to read them, USB specs are available to the public at http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

Hopefully that helps?

Pete

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #636 of 9,526
That's a bummer turokrocks. I just got a Note 2 myself and I was thinking of getting an Apex Glacier as well, so I was hoping your experiment would work without modifications. I just PMed feiao at FiiO to make a suggestion that they make a short OTG micro-usb cable, so hopefully they'll at least look into it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #637 of 9,526
@ DTKZ, But as I still don't have the Glacier, the stock cable from Venturecraft might still work...all my work was conclusions/experiments...until I get it or someone else, and prove me wrong or right!

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #638 of 9,526
We'll have to wait and see, I guess. I wish I could help, but I won't be able to get the Glacier for at least a month. As a side note, when you get the Glacier, could you compare it to the Sony Z1070?

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #639 of 9,526
Quote:
We'll have to wait and see, I guess. I wish I could help, but I won't be able to get the Glacier for at least a month. As a side note, when you get the Glacier, could you compare it to the Sony Z1070?

Yeah will do...just I am still torn between the Glacier and .....

And I need some reviews before I totally commit, and I just sold my TTVJslim, so I need a replacement ASAP.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #640 of 9,526
Anyone tried the S3/Note 2 with the Fostex HP-P1?, can't wait for the bumblebee so i intend to pull the trigger on either the Fostex or the Glacier

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #642 of 9,526
Quote:
Samsung Galaxy s3 doesn't work with my Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus via the OTG cable. I have Android 4.0.4 on the s3. 

Are you sure of your USB OTG cable? You could test it with a USB mouse.

Could you provide a dmesg log output? It should be interesting for Samsung developers to know what is going on between the S3 and the DacMagic Plus at the kernel level?

. Download the free Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImphY2twYWwuYW5kcm9pZHRlcm0iXQ

. Open the Terminal Emulator and type
dmesg > /sdcard/d [do not click “Enter”]

. Connect your S3 to the DacMagic Plus via a USB OTG cable

. On the Terminal Emulator, click “Enter”

[that should get you a dmesg log file "d" in the sdcard folder.]

About dmesg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg

A dmesg output:
http://pastebin.com/Jjq4xnT3

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #643 of 9,526
Quote:
Does anyone know if the HTC Wildifre S works with USB audio (Fiio E7)?

Knowing HTC i don't think so. HTC doesn't have USB otg on any of their devices. Maybe if you rooted and flashed a custom kernel, you'll have to look at the Wildfire development forums to find out.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #644 of 9,526
Quote:

Knowing HTC i don't think so. HTC doesn't have USB otg on any of their devices. Maybe if you rooted and flashed a custom kernel, you'll have to look at the Wildfire development forums to find out.

My HTC uses a micro USB plug. I wouldn't go as far as flashing a custom OS onto it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #645 of 9,526
Quote:

Even via custom kernel USB audio support is very unlikely. To my knowledge only the Nook has had it enabled via a custom kernel, and the last time I looked the devices that were known to work with it were limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back