Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #601 of 9,526
Quote:
Weird!
The Galaxy S3 can interwork with an ODAC using the same Tenor TE7022 USB controller and the same ESS Sabre ES9023 conversion chip.

Thats what i figured, too bad it doesnt, hoped it would be something as simple as a setting in the phone.
The cable works with usb sticks and discs so i suppose thats ok.

Dont have a powered usb hub so i cant test this, would be no option for a mobile setup anyway.

Will restore the original software later to test and try to find out how to make those logs.

Steef

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #603 of 9,526
Quote:
Where is the order page for this cable? Can't seem to find it.

No international orders/delivery yet. VentureCraft said that they may open up to international orders later today (Wed in Japan).

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #605 of 9,526
Just got my Note 2 (its wonderful!!!), it is working with E7, but not with the DAcport LX (even with a usb powered hub).

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #606 of 9,526
hmm still waiting for the OTG cable, really home the lyrix total USB will work, it sounds so awesome, my portable dream will be complete (for now) if it works

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #607 of 9,526
@ DanBa,Is there a way to play 96/24 tracks on the Note2/S3 thru the Apex Glacier or other DAC/AMP?

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #608 of 9,526
Quote:
Just got my Note 2 (its wonderful!!!), it is working with E7, but not with the DAcport LX (even with a usb powered hub).

Awesome isn't it!

I mentioned earlier about the E7, looking forward to trying it with the Intruder and Leckteron in the coming couple of weeks.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #609 of 9,526
Quote:
Where is the order page for this cable? Can't seem to find it.

Man, that cable is nice and tidy, but a fair bit more expensive than the male:male OTG one I purchased...

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #610 of 9,526
Quote:
An Android OTG smartphone/tablet to micro-B plugged USB DAC cable:
http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/category.php?category_id=6
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/30#post_8802850

So we've confirmed that this is an OTG cable? If so, that makes it and the hakshop cable the only viable off-the-shelf solutions for a short, OTG micro USB male-to-male cable. FraGGleR's custom UD100 is another awesome idea; shorten the cable to something 1.5-3" and you'd have a great source-to-amp cable.

As I already have an E17, I'm going to look around for someone to build that OTG micro USB-in-SPDIF-out cable.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #611 of 9,526
Quote:
@ DanBa,Is there a way to play 96/24 tracks on the Note2/S3 thru the Apex Glacier or other DAC/AMP?

The Linux kernel of Android 4.x includes the USB audio driver for ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) which can be compliant with USB Audio Class 2 devices allowing for 24 bits / 192 kHz among others.

Hopefully, Samsung won’t restrict sample rates of a 24/96 USB DAC or a 24/192 USB DAC in the Android of the Galaxy Note II / Galaxy S III.

It seems that Neutron or Poweramp can play 24/96.

By the way, could you provide a dmesg log output? It should be interesting for Samsung developers to know what is going on between the Galaxy Note II and the DACport LX at the Linux kernel level.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #613 of 9,526
Quote:
so the Fiio e7 works with Galaxy s3 and note 2, but not e17 ? Is this because of the drivers?

Correct, E7 works, E17 does not. Not sure why myself, I think DanBa has a better handle on it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #614 of 9,526

so the Fiio e7 works with Galaxy s3 and note 2, but not e17 ? Is this because of the drivers?

Correct, E7 works, E17 does not. Not sure why myself, I think DanBa has a better handle on it.

Are you sure the problem are those drivers?

I'm in the middle of a long email session with some really short answering representative...

I have the N7000 (note 1) running JB 4.1.1, and was going to buy the E17.

The Fiio guy told me that the E17 won't work with the N7000 because it needs more power  for it's DAC.

The E7 needs less power for the DAC, and thats why it works with the note, I guess it's the same story for the note2.

(I don't understand why it needs any power at all from the smartphone, I thought thats what the internal battery of the DAC is for....)

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #615 of 9,526
Quote:

Are you sure the problem are those drivers?

I'm in the middle of a long email session with some really short answering representative...

I have the N7000 (note 1) running JB 4.1.1, and was going to buy the E17.

The Fiio guy told me that the E17 won't work with the N7000 because it needs more power  for it's DAC.

The E7 needs less power for the DAC, and thats why it works with the note, I guess it's the same story for the note2.

(I don't understand why it needs any power at all from the smartphone, I thought thats what the internal battery of the DAC is for....)

They probably design the DAC section to be powered from the USB bus like the ODAC. That would make sense because you only need the amplifier while on the go (this was before the Android/USB audio time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back