Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #7,546 of 9,526
  Does anyone know if Viper4Android would add USB DAC support to Android ROMs that don't work natively with USB DACs? My Galaxy S4 Cyanogenmod 12.1 based ROM works with UAPP, but not natively. The documentation doesn't specifically say either way.

Viper4Android is mainly a DSP App. As I hope to god they soon add support for this issue, it is not fixed in my S6 with Viper4Android. The thing with apps like V4A or VooDoo, is it requires a Kernel with the Driver built in to function, Without these apps wont do anything, you can change EQ settings or add Bass Boost, and nothing will work without the proper Kernel. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #7,547 of 9,526
Hey guys I'm looking for some help.  I have a HRT Microstreamer and a Note 2 (still) with Android 4.4 installed on it.  When I connect my HRT microstreamer and try to play music my phone first of all goes crazy, half of the time restarting or freezing.  When I do get it to play music I run into the fast forwarding problem where I don't hear anything out of the headphones.  I have tried searching for solutions to this problem but haven't found any.  I did try the USB debugging solution with no luck.  I know it's been a while since this thread first started (with 500 pages and all).  Is there an easy solution I'm missing?  I saw that the HRT Microstreamer is on the list of DACs that work with the Note 2 so I wasn't expecting too many issues.  

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #7,548 of 9,526
Hey guys I'm looking for some help.  I have a HRT Microstreamer and a Note 2 (still) with Android 4.4 installed on it.  When I connect my HRT microstreamer and try to play music my phone first of all goes crazy, half of the time restarting or freezing.  When I do get it to play music I run into the fast forwarding problem where I don't hear anything out of the headphones.  I have tried searching for solutions to this problem but haven't found any.  I did try the USB debugging solution with no luck.  I know it's been a while since this thread first started (with 500 pages and all).  Is there an easy solution I'm missing?  I saw that the HRT Microstreamer is on the list of DACs that work with the Note 2 so I wasn't expecting too many issues.  

I'd try an app with its own drivers as a first step, Hiby or UAPP.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #7,549 of 9,526
I have a Samsung Note 12.2 tablet. It is running Android 4.4.2. It runs natively everything I can throw at it. My bifrost, Emotiva dac 1, hdvd800. It keeps wanting to upgrade Android and I'm not letting it. My Samsung Tab S has always needed UAPP. Same with my Note 8. My Note 8 running 4.4.2 needs UAPP. Very strange. Any ideas?

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #7,550 of 9,526
I have a Samsung Note 12.2 tablet. It is running Android 4.4.2. It runs natively everything I can throw at it. My bifrost, Emotiva dac 1, hdvd800. It keeps wanting to upgrade Android and I'm not letting it. My Samsung Tab S has always needed UAPP. Same with my Note 8. My Note 8 running 4.4.2 needs UAPP. Very strange. Any ideas?

My brand new Samsung Tab S2 9.7" recognizes my FiiO Q1 running Android 5.1.1 as long as I have the OTG mini to mini cable in the right direction, and I run UAPP. Sometimes I need to check the run on Android check box 1 or 2 times then it switches over to the usb out.

Can't for the life of me get either my or my wife's OnePlus One's to run the Q1 through the usb!

I ordered 5 different OTG cables and tried Neutron, UAPP, Onkyo and Hiby oh well at least my tablet works until I get my Echobox Player this spring!

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7,551 of 9,526

True, no upgrade for me either. It works!

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #7,552 of 9,526
  The TABLET, or the PHONE, is NOT just a Music Player. You can play Movies, Youtube Video's, Netflix, Play Video Games and much More. You obviously don't understand what I am saying. UAPP is ONLY a Music Player, That is its Primary Function and it is its Primary Failure. I don't use this, and millions of others around the world also do not only use these devices to JUST listen to music. 

I am pretty sure everyone will agree that the tablet, or the phone, is not just a music player. 
smile.gif

An Android phone is a general purpose computer on which existing/future audiophile music player application software, or existing/upcoming virtual reality audio-video player application software, or other existing/future application software can run.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6015#post_11185404

There are music player applications, video player applications, etc… using the Android system running on Android-powered tablet/smartphone.
Like every other music player application software (Poweramp, Neutron, Spotify, Tidal, etc.), UAPP is only developed for playing music. For other stuff (video, gaming, etc.), there are other types of application software.
The successful UAPP is certainly not a failure: it is one of the top-selling Android music players, and audiophile USB DAC manufacturers like Chord recommend the use of UAPP.

People on Head-Fi are mostly interested only in music playback, I tried without success to promote VR video player application software.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6255#post_11286714
http://www.head-fi.org/t/750519/the-headphones-for-movies-thread/15#post_11219841

However, I understand what you want (i.e. fully functional native USB audio system software), but it is not fair to attack UAPP (i.e. just a music player application software among others) for what you want: system software and application software are two different types of software.

Native USB audio system software is overlooked by Android device manufacturers because the vast majority of Android device owners do not have / need a USB DAC to listen music, watch video/movies, play games, etc.

Android before 5, had no issues controlling all USB DAC's, Well not all but Most. Tablets like the Nexus 7 have been used over and over and over for in car installations. Lots of people who don't have Smart TV's or what not, use their Devices to connect to their TV's to watch Netflix, Hulu, Etc. We've been using USB DAC's this way, Much longer than UAPP has been around. We were not restricted to only listening to music. Now we are, unless we decide to use a cheap 5 dollar Analog Out Unit. But I'm not the only one that has Digital Out DAC's we've used for Surround Sound, SPDIF DSP Output, etc. 

I have been involved in Android USB audio since the very beginning. I started the following petition:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

And contrary to you, I do not have such a positive assessment on native USB audio before Android 5.0 (and also after Android 5.0):
. native USB audio is not functional on every Android device
. native USB audio is developed by different Android device makers in their own corner: different USB DAC compatibilities
. worse still, Samsung has different native USB audio (i.e. contrary to its immediate predecessor, a latest Samsung phone can be no more compatible with a given USB DAC!)
. lists of compatible USB DACs had to be created
. this long thread contain a lot of compatibility information and complaints.

So what are we supposed to do? You say UAPP shouldn't have anymore functions, because you don't expect more from a Music Player? I don't expect a Music Player at all. I expect a fix for ALL AUDIO. UAPP Instead of being a strict music player, could have been a driver, much like what people put in Kernels to control certain devices like the Wolfson DAC in Exynos Devices to enhance the high end built in audio, or other things like Chainfire does to enable USB OTG on Nexus 7 Devices. That way the Tablet or Phone, is not restrictive to JUST A MUSIC PLAYER... 

I hope that was a little more clear. 

There was an unsuccessful attempt to provide a third-party USB audio service system software by eXtream Software Development (i.e. UAPP software house) when eXtream was not interested to enter in the music player business (i.e. before the existence of UAPP).

And once the development of this USB audio service done, top-10 media player software development houses had been unsuccessfully contacted.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5565#post_10985943

Apparently, third-party API and third-party system software are not welcome.

We have to wait for a mature Google USB audio, when it will be compatible with a lot of existing USB DACs.

Apparently, since Android 5.0, more mature non-Google native USB audio is "replaced" by Google USB audio: hence they are a lot of compatibility problems.

It is not easy for Google, the latest entrant in the existing USB DAC jungle because the USB specification allows some variability.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4080#post_10270550

The latest entrants have to adapt their USB audio implementation to (most) existing USB DACs.
They have to be compatible with different interpretations of the USB specification.

Once the native Google USB audio becomes mature, it will very likely become a reference USB audio implementation in the USB DAC industry used for testing by the developers of new USB DACs (i.e. these USB DAC developers will have to adopt the Google interpretation of the USB specification), because a "professional" USB DAC maker could not ignore Android, the biggest computing device market share. 

I think Google could speed up the maturity of the Google USB audio by enhancing the current Android Media API in order to avoid the current Android media player framework, the root cause of all current troubles: this Android audio subsystem has to handle a lot of other features like mixer, video audio, Android Auto or Android Open Accessory 2.0 (the mature ALSA USB audio driver is coming from the Linux community).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6195#post_11261908

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #7,553 of 9,526
can someone please tell me how can i get viper4android to work on note 3 with a dac/amp like ifi

everything with viper4andoird except it has no effect on connected dac/amp

is there something i can have v4a working with connected dac/amps

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #7,554 of 9,526
UAPP is Only a music player. But I want Amazon movies, games and a ton of stuff to play via usb through my dac! If UAPP can provide that functionality why can't Android? It ain't hard obviously. Occasionally when I exit UAPP, their usb driver stays active. I wish I knew the reliable key press sequence. Keep your headphones on when exiting and you can hear UAPP deleting their driver from the usb port. And then, is the problem really software or hardware? As posted earlier, I have three Samsung Android tablets. Two of them running 4.4.2 yet only one of them plays natively. Two of the tablets have the same chipset but slightly different versions of Android. Only one plays natively. You would think that two tablets from the same manufacturer running the same version of Android would both play natively. But noooo. Android is a mess! A fun mess but just Mickey Mouse compared to Apple IOS. And I'm not an Apple fanboy. Just pure evil in every way. Apple won't do this, Apple won't do that. Bah! And Windows 10 is the biggest disaster they've ever released. So much Bricked Hardware. Dang! So for the Android crowd at least we can (usually) play music with one stinking app and that's it. Unless you wind up with a Freak of Nature like my Note 12.2.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #7,555 of 9,526
  can someone please tell me how can i get viper4android to work on note 3 with a dac/amp like ifi

If you use Poweramp and set it so the V4A is using it as a front end then just using poweramp as your player is using V4A

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #7,556 of 9,526
UAPP is Only a music player. But I want Amazon movies, games and a ton of stuff to play via usb through my dac! If UAPP can provide that functionality why can't Android? It ain't hard obviously. Occasionally when I exit UAPP, their usb driver stays active. I wish I knew the reliable key press sequence. Keep your headphones on when exiting and you can hear UAPP deleting their driver from the usb port. And then, is the problem really software or hardware? As posted earlier, I have three Samsung Android tablets. Two of them running 4.4.2 yet only one of them plays natively. Two of the tablets have the same chipset but slightly different versions of Android. Only one plays natively. You would think that two tablets from the same manufacturer running the same version of Android would both play natively. But noooo. Android is a mess! A fun mess but just Mickey Mouse compared to Apple IOS. And I'm not an Apple fanboy. Just pure evil in every way. Apple won't do this, Apple won't do that. Bah! And Windows 10 is the biggest disaster they've ever released. So much Bricked Hardware. Dang! So for the Android crowd at least we can (usually) play music with one stinking app and that's it. Unless you wind up with a Freak of Nature like my Note 12.2.

Not read the whole way through this thread, but...

I've just bought myself a Chord Mojo as an upgrade to my Oppo HA-2 and have discovered some interesting differences that I never expected.
Using a Sony Z4 tablet and HTC M8 phone with UAPP and other streaming apps, including BBC iPlayer and Youtube.

With the both the Mojo and the Oppo, UAPP plays great, I have no issues with this.

The interesting thing happens with the other methods of playing audio.

Nothing I do with andriod will make the audio play through the Mojo - only UAPP plays (i know UAPP is forcing a USB driver).
The Oppo, on the other hand, plays everything. Even games - basicaly all audio plays.
I've tried different OTG cables, even make my own. Nothing doing with the Mojo.

I'm no expert, but, there must be something different about the way the Oppo presents its USB to android that's making it route all audio through it.

It's frustrating because I was going to sell my Oppo.

Guess I'll have to keep it for now, or at least until my andriod devices get upgraded to Marshmallow - apparently has native audio USB built in. Not holding my breath though.

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #7,557 of 9,526
Interesting, the Mojo as natively with my 6P and Note 4 on Marshmallow and Lollipop respectively.

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #7,558 of 9,526

Did you go to USB / Dock tab of V4A menu for adjustment?

That, and don't use anything like UAPP that bypasses the android sound system to access the USB device. V4A would never work with that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 6, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #7,559 of 9,526
A new third-party USB audio music player: Neutron
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neutroncode.mp&hl=en

Third-party USB audio music player: USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP)

Third-party USB audio music player: Onkyo HF Player

Third-party USB audio music player: HibyMusic

Another third-party USB audio music player: NePLAYER
Apparently, the language of its user interface is only in Japanese for the time being.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.radius.neplayer_ver2&hl=en
http://www.radius.co.jp/app/neplayer/
http://www.radius.co.jp/pdf/223.pdf

Native USB audio & Third-party USB audio

The Android audio subsystem Android media player framework carries out some resampling for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back