Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 1, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #7,516 of 9,526
I prefer the black USB DAC/amp! Can't tell on design from only those pictures, but do prefer the thinner slab form factor for pairing with smartphones.

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #7,517 of 9,526
OK, thanks.

I'm concerned it could be a hardware issue since it worked fine before until yesterday. I haven't updated the firmware so I'm at a loss as to why it stopped.

I thought after firmware upgrading the native USB audio (i.e. Rocket Player or Tidal) is no more compatible with your USB DAC: hence the use of another third-party USB audio (i.e. UAPP).

I think some component of your setup is malfunctioning:
. Android device (particularly its USB OTG chip switching the Android device to USB host mode on the insertion of a USB OTG plug)
. USB OTG cable
. USB DAC.

Therefore, each component should be separately tested: Go to next test only if the ongoing test is successful.

. Test the USB DAC with a PC or a Mac:
PC >> regular USB cable provided by the USB DAC maker >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Test the Android device and a USB OTG adapter with a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:
Android device >> USB OTG adapter >> USB mouse

. Test the setup using the USB OTG adapter:
Android device >> USB OTG adapter + regular USB cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

If the tests are successful, apparently the USB OTG cable is not functional (i.e. pin 4 is no more well connected to pin 5), then fix the USB OTG cable or buy a new one.
Android device >> USB OTG cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #7,518 of 9,526
Specs!

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #7,519 of 9,526
  Hi everyone!
A new product is coming... Do you know what it is?

Do you prefer the black one or the silver one? 
wink_face.gif
 And how about its design?

Name? Manufacturer?

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7,520 of 9,526
I thought after firmware upgrading the native USB audio (i.e. Rocket Player or Tidal) is no more compatible with your USB DAC: hence the use of another third-party USB audio (i.e. UAPP).

I think some component of your setup is malfunctioning:
. Android device (particularly its USB OTG chip switching the Android device to USB host mode on the insertion of a USB OTG plug)
. USB OTG cable
. USB DAC.

Therefore, each component should be separately tested: Go to next test only if the ongoing test is successful.

. Test the USB DAC with a PC or a Mac:
PC >> regular USB cable provided by the USB DAC maker >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Test the Android device and a USB OTG adapter with a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:
Android device >> USB OTG adapter >> USB mouse

. Test the setup using the USB OTG adapter:
Android device >> USB OTG adapter + regular USB cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

If the tests are successful, apparently the USB OTG cable is not functional (i.e. pin 4 is no more well connected to pin 5), then fix the USB OTG cable or buy a new one.
Android device >> USB OTG cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

Thanks for the information. My troubleshooting was pretty thorough. It must have been a software issue, as a factory reset did the trick. Only downside is that in my panic, I purchased USB Audio Pro for $8. I think I prefer my Rocket Player, though.

I'm just glad I wasn't forced to replace the phone prematurely. I'm waiting for a big price drop for the LG V10, maybe in the spring.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #7,521 of 9,526
UAPP is currently my preferred music player, because at the very least UAPP does not resample.
UAPP does not use the native USB audio, it includes its own USB audio soft driver.

Like other generic music player, Rocket Player uses the native USB audio, which carries out resampling for the time being.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #7,522 of 9,526
I have a galaxy tab 3 running kit-kat.  Is it possible to input audio from a usb microphone with a host otg cable?
I tried it with an app I created in unity3d and it would not recognize the usb microphone as an input source.  Unity3d has a microphone input recognizer that usually gives the id and information of any input sources. The app could not recognize the input source of the usb mic connected to the host otg cable so I'm not sure if the problem is with unity or with the phone not recognizing the input source.

How would I troubleshoot to test whethe the phone recognizes the microphone without unity?

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #7,523 of 9,526
  I have a galaxy tab 3 running kit-kat.  Is it possible to input audio from a usb microphone with a host otg cable?

Yes, it is!

USB Audio Recorder PRO:
"Record and playback audio in high quality from a USB audio interface!
Warning: this is not a generic driver, you can only playback and record from within this app. It is not possible to use your USB audio device with other apps!
By all means try the TRIAL version first to see if your device works:"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #7,524 of 9,526
Man, can't get my JDS Labs ODAC to work with my new 6P. Have tried using this cable and a cheapy type c to type b adapter, no good.

Interestingly UAPP recognises the DAC being disconnected and suggests Linux can see it, but the phone refuses to boot with the DAC connected. So frustrating, used to work fine with my S4 and S5, failed to work with my S6 (someone here reported success with this) and now my 6P.

Has anyone had any luck with the ODAC specifically on the 6P? The DAC still works fine on my PC. 

Thanks

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #7,525 of 9,526
  Hi everyone!
A new product is coming... Do you know what it is?

Do you prefer the black one or the silver one? 
wink_face.gif
 And how about its design?

AVLOS - Portable USB DAC & Headphone Amplifier