Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 26, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #7,486 of 9,526
As far as I understand, the cable successfully used by Nztechfreak is described on page 65 of the USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification: "3.5.7 USB Type-C to USB 2.0 Micro-B Cable Assembly"
http://www.those.ch/designtechnik/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/USB-Type-C-Specification-Release-1.0.pdf

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #7,487 of 9,526
Belkins site indicates it is for connecting hard drives and cameras too, that's why I figured it'd work with USB audio too.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #7,488 of 9,526
Hi guys,

Need help with choosing cable, I have Samsung S6 and iFi Micro iDSD

Any remmondtion for good cable with low budget!

Thanks,

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #7,489 of 9,526
  I have a Galaxy Note 3 from Verizon running Android 4.4.4 and Onkyo HF Player works fine for me, I keep all of my music on the ext microSD card. I had to go into settings->Music Folders and select the extSdCard folder where I keep my music before it could find my music. Did you do the same?

Many thanks for this, Sony Z3c now sounds great!

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #7,491 of 9,526
I don't think many are still using the SGS4 anymore and think even fewer are still running stock 4.2.2 but in any case I would like to report that the ALO International+ (non-optical "android friendly" version) alas does not work natively with my S4 running 4.2.2. :frowning2:

Works just fine with UAPP. Sounds pretty good too, though I'm disappointed at how noisy this DAC/amp is on medium and high gain; it's fine on low gain.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #7,492 of 9,526
Belkins site indicates it is for connecting hard drives and cameras too, that's why I figured it'd work with USB audio too.

Do you refer to
"At A Glance:
1. Connect USB-C enabled devices (new Macbook, Chromebook Pixel) to Micro USB devices and peripherals (smartphones, tablets, hard drives, and cameras)"?
http://www.belkin.com/us/F2CU033-Belkin/p/P-F2CU033/

My understanding of this sentence is that the cable is used to connect a USB-C enabled USB host (i.e. a new Macbook  / Chromebook Pixel with a USB-C receptacle) to a Micro USB peripheral (i.e. smartphone operating as USB peripheral / tablet operating as USB peripheral / hard drive / camera with a Micro USB receptacle).

List of USB Type-C to USB legacy cables and adapters on the page 19 of the USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification:
http://www.those.ch/designtechnik/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/USB-Type-C-Specification-Release-1.0.pdf

"The following USB Type-C to USB legacy cables and adapters are defined.

. USB 3.1 Type-C to Legacy Host cable with a USB Full-Featured Type-C plug at one end and a USB 3.1 Standard-A plug at the other end – this cable supports use of a USB Type-C-based device with a legacy USB host

. USB 2.0 Type-C to Legacy Host cable with a USB 2.0 Type-C plug at one end and a USB 2.0 Standard-A plug at the other end – this cable supports use of a USB Type-C-based device with a legacy USB 2.0 host (primarily for mobile charging and sync applications)

. USB 3.1 Type-C to Legacy Device cable with a USB Full-Featured Type-C plug at one end and a USB 3.1 Standard-B plug at the other end – this cable supports use of legacy USB 3.1 hubs and devices with a USB Type-C-based host

. USB 2.0 Type-C to Legacy Device cable with a USB 2.0 Type-C plug at one end and a USB 2.0 Standard-B plug at the other end – this cable supports use of legacy USB 2.0 hubs and devices with a USB Type-C-based host

. USB 2.0 Type-C to Legacy Mini Device cable with a USB 2.0 Type-C plug at one end and a USB 2.0 Mini-B plug at the other end – this cable supports use of legacy devices with a USB 2.0 Type-C-based host

. USB 3.1 Type-C to Legacy Micro Device cable with a USB Full-Featured Type-C plug at one end and a USB 3.1 Micro-B plug at the other end – this cable supports use of legacy USB 3.1 hubs and devices with a USB Type-C-based host

. USB 2.0 Type-C to Legacy Micro Device cable with a USB 2.0 Type-C plug at one end and a USB 2.0 Micro-B plug at the other end – this cable supports use of legacy USB 2.0 hubs and devices with a USB Type-C-based host

. USB 3.1 Type-C to Legacy Standard-A adapter with a USB Full-Featured Type-C plug at one end and a USB 3.1 Standard-A receptacle at the other end – this adapter supports use of a legacy USB “thumb drive” style device or a legacy USB ThinCard device with a USB 3.1 Type-C-based host

. USB 2.0 Type-C to Legacy Micro-B adapter with a USB 2.0 Type-C plug at one end and a USB 2.0 Micro-B receptacle at the other end – this adapter supports charging a USB Type-C-based mobile device using a legacy USB Micro-B-based chargers, either captive cable-based or used in conjunction with a legacy USB 2.0 Standard-A to Micro-B cable"

Your Belkin cable should be the USB 2.0 Type-C to Legacy Micro Device cable with a USB 2.0 Type-C plug at one end and a USB 2.0 Micro-B plug at the other end – this cable supports use of legacy USB 2.0 hubs and devices with a USB Type-C-based host: in other words, the successfully tested Belkin cable supports use of legacy USB 2.0 device / peripheral (i.e. Chord Mojo USB DAC) with a USB Type-C-based host / dual-role Nexus 6P operating as USB host.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #7,493 of 9,526
I have 2 OnePlus One's, Mine and my Wife's. I am running UAPP & Neutron and I can Not get either to recognize my Q1. I have used a OTG to Micro USB, a Micro USB to micro USB. I have turned off the charging switch, I have unpluged restarted and done every combination I can think of. The phones both easily recognize A USB flash drive when plugged in. My Q1 is easily recognized by my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7.

Any thoughts? Really getting frustrated!!! :mad:

Claus

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #7,494 of 9,526
The USB OTG cable is probably malfunctioning.

Android USB audio
A list of USB Audio Player PRO resources (compatible USB DAC, compatible Android devices ...):
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

The FiiO Q1 is a working audio device with USB audio soft driver of UAPP.
OnePlus One is a working Android device with UAPP.
“Important: connect your device BEFORE starting the app, otherwise it will not get detected!”

Android USB audio
FAQ
"Q: I have an Android device, a USB DAC and a USB OTG cable which are reportedly compatible, but I have not been able to make it work.
Is there a trick to make it work?
R: …"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #7,495 of 9,526
Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.1.1 > micro USB OTG cable > UAPP > Shanling M2

Works with UAPP up to 24/192 without problems as USB DAC/AMP.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #7,496 of 9,526
I'd rather downgrade the OS on my Tablet, even my Phone, than to be stuck only being allowed to play music through an app. Its pointless. Some of these new DAC's built into devices like the Wolfson DAC on Exynos devices are pretty nice. I've been unable to notice any difference in audio quality with my Tab S's built in vs running the USB Xonar DAC and using only FLAC. I guess its time to start bribing some Developer friends with some stripper cash to devise a driver that can overtake the native drivers that fail on Android 5+. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #7,497 of 9,526
  I'd rather downgrade the OS on my Tablet, even my Phone, than to be stuck only being allowed to play music through an app. Its pointless. Some of these new DAC's built into devices like the Wolfson DAC on Exynos devices are pretty nice. I've been unable to notice any difference in audio quality with my Tab S's built in vs running the USB Xonar DAC and using only FLAC. I guess its time to start bribing some Developer friends with some stripper cash to devise a driver that can overtake the native drivers that fail on Android 5+. 

I've been using just the amp on my DAC/amp until they get the bug fixed. It still sounds much better than stock, and gets around the issue of lack of volume steps on stock android.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #7,498 of 9,526

I've been using just the amp on my DAC/amp until they get the bug fixed. It still sounds much better than stock, and gets around the issue of lack of volume steps on stock android.

But YouTube, Netflix, Any Videos on the device will go through the tablet speaker since UAAP wont play those media files. I don't know why someone would make an app that is a music player. Instead of an App that just routes the device audio through it like all these DAC Apps like Viper4Android or Voodoo or... Well whatever else there are. That way we can Screen Cast or something to our TV and watch movies with digital audio output. Or whatever else it is. I was planning on running the DAC that has only a SPDIF output in my car, going into a Helix DSP. But NOOOO lol. Now just gotta either run some cheap DAC or the built in Wolfson DAC. 

Are you using a Tab S? I know Android 6 has been ported, Camera and Fingerprint Scanner is the only thing not working apparently yet. Maybe I'll try it now. Again I don't trust using my Xonar because its a decently high end Surround DAC, But it has an amplified Headphone Out, SPDIF and COAX Digital Output. IT works with UAAP on every device but only with UAAP. Maybe it is working fine, just Android. I'm downloading Android 6.0 now to try. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #7,499 of 9,526
  But YouTube, Netflix, Any Videos on the device will go through the tablet speaker since UAAP wont play those media files. I don't know why someone would make an app that is a music player. Instead of an App that just routes the device audio through it like all these DAC Apps like Viper4Android or Voodoo or... Well whatever else there are. That way we can Screen Cast or something to our TV and watch movies with digital audio output. Or whatever else it is. I was planning on running the DAC that has only a SPDIF output in my car, going into a Helix DSP. But NOOOO lol. Now just gotta either run some cheap DAC or the built in Wolfson DAC. 

Are you using a Tab S? I know Android 6 has been ported, Camera and Fingerprint Scanner is the only thing not working apparently yet. Maybe I'll try it now. Again I don't trust using my Xonar because its a decently high end Surround DAC, But it has an amplified Headphone Out, SPDIF and COAX Digital Output. IT works with UAAP on every device but only with UAAP. Maybe it is working fine, just Android. I'm downloading Android 6.0 now to try. 

Not sure what you mean by apps going through the speaker instead. I was mentioning that instead of using a DAC, you could use the headphone out into an amp and use the system's DAC, but avoiding most of the noise floor by raising the output volume all the way on the phone.

I have a Nexus 6P running android 6.0. It doesn't work with my DAC right now, due to some sort of bug in Android making it not be properly identified.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #7,500 of 9,526

Not sure what you mean by apps going through the speaker instead. I was mentioning that instead of using a DAC, you could use the headphone out into an amp and use the system's DAC, but avoiding most of the noise floor by raising the output volume all the way on the phone.

I have a Nexus 6P running android 6.0. It doesn't work with my DAC right now, due to some sort of bug in Android making it not be properly identified.

Well, Currently lots of people are only getting high end DAC's to work, is by using an app called UAPP, But its a Music Only Player. So No Videos, No Youtube, No Netflix, No Plex, No system Audio, Zip... All of those things, the audio is routed through the devices speakers, Not the DAC. 

And yes I was thinking of using the built in Wolfson DAC on my Tab S, Its pretty bad ass. But the installation makes it hard, since the 3.5mm Jack sticks out a lil further than the Micro USB, So there isn't really enough room to detach the tablet with a 3.5MM Jack, Well No room to attach in the first place. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back