Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
May 18, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #5,449 of 6,061
I hope you beta buyers get lucky some day. Every other month another piece of Schitt hits the street. The newbs rave its the best ever until some serious trials expose the hype.

May 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #5,450 of 6,061
Simaudio Moon 600i is sounding really nice with my mod HE6. A bit of hiss with the HE1000se though.

20190518_154005.jpg

20190516_161744.jpg

May 19, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #5,451 of 6,061
Does anyone have recommendations for where to get the best quality speaker tap adapter?

I asked Lavricables to make me a custom one to match my Grand 20 Silver headphone cables. Turnaround time was good even though it was a custom order. I had also asked Vinh at Danacable, and after a few exchanges when he got a sense of what was involved, said they could accommodate the request as well.

So I think many cable makers can do it if asked, and it totally makes sense to use the same type of cable for the adapter as the headphone cable that's going to be connected to it.

May 20, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #5,453 of 6,061
IMO, that amp is the best I've heard the HE6 on.

I have been looking for a second hand Simaudio Moon 700i for nearly 18 month. I didn’t found one, at price I was willing to spend, so I gave up and got its smaller brother instead. I have only had the 600i for a few days, but can safely say that it is the best amp I have heard my HE6 and HE1000se on.

May 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #5,454 of 6,061
The soundstage is fixed around you like a great pair of speakers and you hear every sound on the recording. The ease of dynamics and sweet mids are amazing. Having the volume control in the amp protects the headphones from accident. Were I to have the money, it would be in my rig.

May 21, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #5,455 of 6,061
Anyone try the Decware Mini Torii with the HE-6 and other headphones or speakers too?

May 22, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #5,456 of 6,061
Hey guys

I have no knowledge with headphone et cetera. I'm thinking of buying Audio GD R2R11, i dont expect this thing to run the he6 with great ease but it should be sufficient enough to get decent result?

Btw, i will simply be connecting Laptop > R2R11 > he 6

Cheers

May 22, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #5,457 of 6,061
not a viable option IMO, It will play at lowish volumes but will really be lacking definition and presence, kind of deflated. If your planning your upgrade path you will need a better amp for he-6. The cheapest amp i properly liked was the ~750$ Cavalli liquid platinum. The liquid carbon was the cheapest that i would call viable, and the mass drop model with dac is 380$ plus shipping. That would be my recommendation for trying to drive he-6 on a limited budget, if you want to try it and invest in better amp later. Mind you I'm a big Audio-gd fan and I love my nos11.

If your hoping to just buy a he-6 and dac/amp in this price range and be done with it I think that's a bad idea. There are many great headphones around 600-1000$ that will sound better then he-6 without a great amp. the value really only comes in when you drop 750$+++ on an amp, properly driven they can match up with the best, but you pay for that with extremely limited versatility.

yes of course there are some great deals on vintage power amps, but even in america this takes some shopping and i don't know what you might find in southeast Asia.

I would also call out the Questyle 600i as a very good all-in-one for the he-6, on paper its only rated at like 1 watt but it drives very well. goes to show spec sheets dont tell you everything.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #5,458 of 6,061
not a viable option IMO, It will play at lowish volumes but will really be lacking definition and presence, kind of deflated. If your planning your upgrade path you will need a better amp for he-6. The cheapest amp i properly liked was the ~750$ Cavalli liquid platinum. The liquid carbon was the cheapest that i would call viable, and the mass drop model with dac is 380$ plus shipping. That would be my recommendation for trying to drive he-6 on a limited budget, if you what to try it and invest in better amp later. Mind you I'm a big Audio-gd fan and I love my nos11.

If your hoping to just buy a he-6 and dac/amp in this price range and be done with it I think that's a bad idea. There are many great headphones around 600-1000$ that will sound better then he-6 without a great amp. the value really only comes in when you drop 750$+++ on an amp, properly driven they can match up with the best, but you pay for that with extremely limited versatility.

yes of course there are some great deals on vintage power amps, but even in america this takes some shopping and i on't know what you might find is southeast Asia.

I would also call out the Questyle 600i as a very good all-in-one for the he-6, on paper its only rated at like 1 watt but it drives very well. goes to show spec sheets dont tell you everything.

Do you mean cavalli liquid carbon? I couldnt find the platinum on massdrop

May 22, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #5,459 of 6,061
Try Monoprice.com or Amazon for the LP. For another headphone amp that can be found in that price range, I'd also consider a used Auralic Taurus MKII. The best performance in that range, however, will generally come from a vintage speaker amp/receiver <= 85 watts @ 8 Ohms but they tend to be heavy & bulky. A great vintage receiver is the Marantz 2285; they used to be cheap, no longer the case but you might get lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back